Melder Skillset Ideas

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Shouldn't they all be unique in that case?  Seems like we are adding balance concerns if some orgs can stack burn levels (eg with pyrotoxin / fire) or chill stacking to accelerate the condition, while other orgs can only increase it with that one class itself since nobody else has access to deliver applications of the newchanic.
  • If the new/reworked affs require you to specify them in order to be cured, will this be handled by autocuring?
    Assuming that they are, will there be the possibility to prioritise them when they have stacked to a certain point or will it be an all or nothing thing?
  • If Pyro still has FlameRing, since I haven't  seen or been Pyro in forever, I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of skill with the other mages/druid since its defensive purposes. Or maybe add it to RAISE STAFF, just food for thought.
  • I'm still not sure how to feel about the meld ticks giving 4 or 5 stacks of themed aff, because I can already imagine how strong that is going to be. UNLEASH STAFF already does shedloads of damage in implementation right now, so if it is going to also have damage scaling based on stacked affs (dust particles and deathmarks as example), I can only imagine it outright one-shotting people. It already gets close to doing that, right now without aff buildup, so what is it going to be like when there's two people doing it? Yes the first person strips away all the buildup to do the damage, but the only way to stop that from getting out of hand is to be damage require those afflictions. Zero base damage, and does so much damage per stack or whatever.

Otherwise you can have say....three mage/druids that sit on a node, all linked to it, and wait for a meld tick to hit all enemies in the room. It would be so simple to make a trigger for the meld effects to Unleash and just AoE kill every single enemy with minimal effort.
  • If you've either used, or fought much in Pyromeld, you'd know burns being given multiple times is fine as it is. Part of the reason burns is given in multiple effects is to A: Ensure that you need to raise all the effects to be most useful and B: Create a disparity between protection scroll and nonprotection scroll outputs.

Pyromeld already functions with similar amounts of burns given (which is why it's being used as a base).

I personally think Pyromeld both easily countered, and also easily exploited, it really depends both on the target and the melder. 
    Pyromeld burns build/kills is in a really good, but not often seen, place, and I think basing the new melds on it is a great idea.

Overall, I'm super excited.
  • Well protection scrolls aren't going to help on a node, as noded rooms bypass Scroll of Protection. I just want to avoid a silly AoE mass kill cheese strat is all.
  • For N people with an AoE ability, you're going to make AoE a mass cheese kill strat. 
  • Hello bomb-ness, my old friend.
  • Very true, unleash as is can probably mass kill with just two people using 10 power and requiring full mana. I just want to try and avoid that becoming the meta in combat - rush in to node, and unleash at 5p now and not requiring full mana to insta-gib.
  • Given that multiple melders reduce the windup for the channel, it looks like it'll be a significant amount of time. Given that it takes anywhere between 8 to 3 uncured damage attacks to kill someone without any healing, you're probably completely fine to pounce on people with paused systems. It's part of the reason soulless is completely worthless in PVP with more than 3 people, you can just get damaged out while channelling it.
  • Also I cross-eyed, the Unleash is still 10p, just did a diagonal line of sight. I'm curious what the base channel time is going to be, then by how much it is reduced per linked melder.
  • Also @Orael is it possible to emulate the indoors raise staff of current aeromancy for indoors northwind skyfling?
    If not, that's fine, but making an indoors variant of Northwind's skyfling would be pretty good considering how often combat takes place indoors now with the timequake area designs.
  • Will a meld be required to put up effects, or will they just require the right terrain, as they do now?
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • It will technically require both, since the nodes placing and linking will terrain and create a meld.
  • Okay, that makes Aquamancy completely useless in about 80% of the Inner Sea, then.
  • I mean, not like the other melders had a huge area pre-terrained for them. It could be argued that Aquamancers have far more pre-terrained than anyone else, and this just brings it in line.
  • Tridemon said:
    Okay, that makes Aquamancy completely useless in about 80% of the Inner Sea, then.
    And pretty much all of the other specs. What's your point?

Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • His point was the Inner Sea was naturally terrained and he could use meld effects in those rooms because it was already terrained. Like how Air is naturally terrained for Aeromancers, etc.
  • I swear it got mentioned in here, though possibly a different thread even. Anyway with Mactans doing chills and Pyrotoxin doing ablaze we should definitely either look at repurposing Mactans or adding/altering poisons to work in some fashion with the new builder affs. If we are altering current ones, perhaps Senso (from stoneghasts) could also build particulate dust. I know being afflicted with ablaze technically gives first degree burns, but it's not like constantly hitting with it builds burns either.

Would people rather see more poisons get added to cover the new afflictions, or just rework Mactans to not be afflicting with the built chills?
  • I personally would like to keep Mactans and Pyrotoxin stay the same, then convert some of the other poisons to do the same with particulate and pollen.
  • Need particulate dust, cloudcoils, swarmed, and allergies then.
  • I'd prefer it to the other way and we remove the poisons. Not a fan of more things to tweak in the sake of balance. 
  • We can just wait till the rework is out and see how it all pans out before adding/changing/removing these poisons. Usually seems like a safe bet.
  • Also, I think I'm genuinely terrified of the Aqua meld still. While a lot of things have been mirrored to all melds (aka the healing effect) some of those powers just strike me as very painful to deal with, and depending on circumstances, probably the best spec still for melders. Dilute in itself can be problematic, because if we say AQUACAST DILUTE MANA (I'm guessing the syntax here) then it is going to hinder that quite a bit, unless the amount the malus is causing is small. Bubble as well, assuming manadrain for this, is really great for synergizing with the Celestines to Absolve but not really much else, except for ally orgs that love mana drains. Since I don't see Celest going without a commune as an ally, this is just a very wide open door invitation to fast track toadcurses, and would be the preferred meld over the druid ones they're partnered with. This isn't including Doldrums as a meld effect which also hinders their mana regeneration.

If Bubble was instead an egodrain, then hands down every Aqua is going to be Dreamweaver since TP just doesn't really exist, as anything it can do, DW can do better. So you'd have Doldrums, dreambeast, dreamblade, and bubble as passive ego drains, partnering with any dramaturgy bard or fellow DWs. All the other melders have something there that is different but doesn't offer the same kind of pressure. Swiftwind and Southwind aren't going to pull the same weight, or Lodestone and Sickening as a few examples. So even with a lot of things being mirrored, there are still going to be the obvious choice of preferred melder for each alliance, and the others kind of just sitting with new shiny skills that won't do much of anything.
  • Celestines are stuck in a rut when it comes to mana drain unlike their Nihilist counterparts who are able to place marks and drain upwards to 6k mana, but that's a conversation for another thread.

The mana drain from Bubble Mana would help a lot with synergy with Celestines but as you said it'll assist a lot more with toadcurse. Bubble Ego would assist with self mage kills via DW kills again like when it was first reworked and Aquachem DW was top dog, but instead Mancy mages will be a threat again. I personally lean towards mana but I'm just 1 out of 5 Aquamancers in Celest so they might want otherwise 
  • I think that dilute might be something that just affects your next sip of healing/bromides/mana after you're hit by it instead of targeting a specific vital potion. Like how aeromancy has that thing where you recover faster from your next action that takes balance.
  • If that is the intent, it could probably be worded better, because it doesn't read that way to me.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited July 2019
    Kreon said:
    Celestines are stuck in a rut when it comes to mana drain unlike their Nihilist counterparts who are able to place marks and drain upwards to 6k mana, but that's a conversation for another thread.
    This is more a symptom of Celestines being outdated and nobody lobbying for them to be upgraded to these newer times (probably because most people feel like they're "okay", even though solo absolve is probably not possible for the average opponent.

The solution isn't "buff Aquamancers for Celestines", ever. It should be "buff Celestines for Celestines", if you can create a convincing-enough argument.

That's all I'll say on that because I know you want to disengage from talking about it in this thread.

• Nihilist has excruciate but its kit is still outdated as absolute hell in a lot of ways, it's just got a very threatening but frankly troublesome kill route alongside that. I want to revamp the way angels/demon work in general on top of a bunch of other things, but I'm holding out for the next report system. That's very much not a melder topic, though.