Design Rules Feedback

13»

Comments

• Has any more discussion been held for reducing artisan costs further?
    I haven't really had anything to offer due to the nature of the artisan trade. A lot of it is supposed to be "luxury" items that are meant to be inherently costly/commodity heavy, so that makes suggestions kind of awkward in and of itself. Then I think there's also some points under review - like how beds are mostly useless on a functional level, and there's been some talk of changing that. Well, beds also just had their commodity costs upped in lieu of teasets! So would any changes to beds help to warrant that cost differential now? I mean, it does make more sense at least, but idk

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I don't do enough artisan work to really have a good guide either.  I have all the trades so I tend to poke at them from time to time... artisan tends to be the least in demand just due to its nature.  Only thing I've made in the last year was a couple bookshelves I think... even my own personal stuff I protected with stasis gems so I never have to worry about them.

That leaves me really out of the loop as far as what "good costs" are (save that artisan already felt like it had huge costs even before this).
  • Just a quick note from us to apologise for the delay in getting through our inbox! If we're quite honest, most of us collapsed in exhaustion the moment we got everything released. We're hoping to catch up on our inbox in the next few days and, also, to look at Artisan costs too.

We want Artisan commodity requirements to make sense in a logical way, to be fair and realistic with modern commodity costs, and also to respect that many of the items are very long lasting in comparison to a lot of trades. Please keep throwing out ideas if you've got any - we don't need you to be able to say "Teasets should be X commodities"! It's useful enough to say "I think the price of Teasets is too high", because then we know where to look for benchmarks.

PS: We love your catalogue designs!
  • I think these are perfect
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Why are smalltables twice as much as chairs?  Are smalltables larger than I am thinking of them?
    Overall I like the costs a lot better.
  • Wow! These changes look great, especially for the mostly ornamental artisan designs like tapestries, rugs, and chandeliers, and I very much appreciate the general scaling-down of a very commodity-heavy tradeskill. I actually think couches and kegs could stay at their current values of 75 each, and desks could be increased from the proposed 75 to 150, which is still considerably less than their current value but still high enough to reflect their usefulness (people are always going to build desks in their respective org's library and post office, if nothing else, no matter what the commodity cost). However, I'd be more than happy if all these values went in as is, too.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • Xenthos said:
    Why are smalltables twice as much as chairs?  Are smalltables larger than I am thinking of them?
    Smalltables have absolutely no use beyond aesthetics.
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • edited August 2019
    Choros said:
    Xenthos said:
    I thought for some reason sitting at a table increased satiation?  
  • edited August 2019
    Choros said:
    Xenthos said:
    I thought for some reason I thought sitting at a table increased satiation?  
    That would be largetables. Smalltables are just kind of there and are cute.

EDIT:

This is my own personal speculation on commodity costs between the two. Largetables are meant to be full and proper dining tables, and can seat however many chairs you can have to go with it - which is like ten to twelve, depending on pantograph, etc. That's pretty big! So exactly how big is a smalltable? I think that's where there's some sense of ambiguity with it. I imagine most people are more thinking of end table size, but it could really be any table that isn't a proper dining room table at that point.

• Would be nice to be able keep objects ON the table and then you can just "get <stuff> from <table>"
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Coraline said:
    Would be nice to be able keep objects ON the table and then you can just "get <stuff> from <table>"
    Please please please let me store my six bottles of tea on the table so I can stop feeling like a pirate peering through the opening every time to look for more rum... Can’t be just me, right?!

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• Coraline said:
    Would be nice to be able keep objects ON the table and then you can just "get <stuff> from <table>"
    Please please please let me store my six bottles of tea on the table so I can stop feeling like a pirate peering through the opening every time to look for more rum... Can’t be just me, right?!
    Serving rum-laced tea... I'm so proud! <3
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Coraline said:
    Coraline said:
    Serving rum-laced tea... I'm so proud! <3
    There's only booze when certain people are there, haha!

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• Maintain has similarly been affected too, right? Or was the code behind it always permissive of these sorts of changes either way?
  • Jolanthe said:
    Maintain has similarly been affected too, right? Or was the code behind it always permissive of these sorts of changes either way?
    Maintain uses the commodities of the design, not the patterns. So if you are trying to maintain a design that has an old commodity value (as all will do right now), then it will cost an amount proportional to that number, not the new minimum.

On a similar note, we forgot to mention in the changelog (and have now appended) that the changes to tables will only affect designs crafted since the change.