Melder Revamp Testing

13»

Comments

• @Orael

I've just been playing around a little more with the Aqua meld, and have just realised that Needlerain is kind of pointless unless the change of an aqua meld no longer being deepwater was an over sight? Losing waterwalk and waterbreathe serves no purpose currently with shallow water.

Will it be made deep water again? 
  • edited September 2019
    After some combat with it live, I want to reiterate that I'd like for there to be still be a way to break a contested room while the enemy melder is there, without having to kill the melder. Right now, especially in bigger groups, the fortress meta can be really nuts. If you can't kill the melder within 10-12 seconds (in which time they can unleash), and they don't budge, then you're out of luck as there's absolutely 0 you can do to contest the meld in that room. Gusting is not a viable strategy because they usually can come back in in under 5 seconds, plus a lot of upper-tier melders have a lot of rooting. I know I'd rather see a back and forth of the contested room passing between melders than it just being a rush to see who can get there first.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I had that concern in testing.  The time to break was reduced in response, but it does not change the underlying concern.
    What you have to do is time your gust of the melder to the break action (set highlights for your melders).  Just before the break is finishing, that is when you have to gust.  It does not check for enemy melder presence at the start, but only at the end, per the response I got.  It takes a lot more coordination to figure out (and as you say, rooting messes with it).
  • Xenthos said:
    I had that concern in testing.  The time to break was reduced in response, but it does not change the underlying concern.
    What you have to do is time your gust of the melder to the break action (set highlights for your melders).  Just before the break is finishing, that is when you have to gust.  It does not check for enemy melder presence at the start, but only at the end, per the response I got.  It takes a lot more coordination to figure out (and as you say, rooting messes with it).
    This also hopes that they do not resist the first 10 gusts.
  • Are you sure that the meld by itself is building passively? - because I tested it before reducing numbers by half and it wasn't building then. It's curing completely in 2-3 healing balances (depending on the cure bal) right now.  I don't think that's actually the case.

As to the rest, I realize this is a big change in how things work. I realize that I rushed things out at the end there and probably should have taken more time, but I won't be around much from now until next Monday (I'm have a two weddings to attend the next two weekends) and wanted to get it out prior to that. 

I think there's going to be more reliance on teamwork to break than there was previously. There are things that will need adjusting and need taking a second look at for sure. I'm entirely aware that this was in no way a 100% finished product. To be blunt about it, we could have had people testing it extensively (which is already an unrealistic scenario, it's a gigantic pain in the ass to get people to help test things out) for two months instead of two weeks and still run into these issues because testing on the test server only goes so far. It doesn't replicate group tactics (which is what this focuses on). 

To be upfront, I'm hesitant to rush into making giant changes to how things work right away. The revamp has been out for just over a day at this point, and I don't really think that's enough time to say definitively that something needs changing. I want to give people some time to try things out, try different tactics and different ideas. We've run into major issues by instinctively reacting to the initial reactions and overall, we benefit the most when we let things play out a bit before making changes.

• Orael said:
    Are you sure that the meld by itself is building passively? - because I tested it before reducing numbers by half and it wasn't building then. It's curing completely in 2-3 healing balances (depending on the cure bal) right now.  I don't think that's actually the case.

As to the rest, I realize this is a big change in how things work. I realize that I rushed things out at the end there and probably should have taken more time, but I won't be around much from now until next Monday (I'm have a two weddings to attend the next two weekends) and wanted to get it out prior to that. 

I think there's going to be more reliance on teamwork to break than there was previously. There are things that will need adjusting and need taking a second look at for sure. I'm entirely aware that this was in no way a 100% finished product. To be blunt about it, we could have had people testing it extensively (which is already an unrealistic scenario, it's a gigantic pain in the ass to get people to help test things out) for two months instead of two weeks and still run into these issues because testing on the test server only goes so far. It doesn't replicate group tactics (which is what this focuses on). 

To be upfront, I'm hesitant to rush into making giant changes to how things work right away. The revamp has been out for just over a day at this point, and I don't really think that's enough time to say definitively that something needs changing. I want to give people some time to try things out, try different tactics and different ideas. We've run into major issues by instinctively reacting to the initial reactions and overall, we benefit the most when we let things play out a bit before making changes.

When I say building I am including each affliction. A geo meld tic does more deathmark and particulate than I can cure before the meld hits again. Of note, the meld stuns, so there is a gap where you cannot cure and effectively lose one cure. I am unsure of other melds, but I could not remove both these.
  • Ok, I see what you mean.

I've adjusted the order to effect hits to help this as well as reduced deathmark slightly. 
  • All of the first abilities that deal stacking afflictions should note that if you have the Discerning skill you can use it to check the affliction on targets. This isn't otherwise documented anywhere and I personally would have taken a long time to guess it.

I also bugged that those abilities should come after the meld skill, because they require it.

• edited September 2019
    Also druids are missing the mulch skill and will need that back, perhaps as a syntax in Sapling.

Missing as well appears to be the runes skill, for runeing totems.
  • Also, cocoon costs 5p on the ground and only 3p in the trees. Sap is always 5p...
  • Orael said:
    Are you sure that the meld by itself is building passively? - because I tested it before reducing numbers by half and it wasn't building then. It's curing completely in 2-3 healing balances (depending on the cure bal) right now.  I don't think that's actually the case.

I had that exact same thought in relation to the fact that the revamp was out less than 24 hours. I personally am more inclined to try it out and see how the new melds will affect me in various ways before moving ahead with what can/needs to be fixed at least per se two weeks down the line.
    <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.lusternia.com/banner/minkahmet.jpg">https://www.lusternia.com/banner/minkahmet.jpg</a>
  • edited September 2019
    Enya said:
    Also, cocoon costs 5p on the ground and only 3p in the trees. Sap is always 5p...
    That sounds like it might be a BUG. Perhaps you should BUG it in game so one of our coders can make a ruling on it and handle it.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Druids appear to have kept Raise Cudgel as well as Whirl Cudgel, whilst all the mages lost their staff powers but kept whirl. Will the mages be getting their individual staff powers back?
  • With everyone having a hidden room name now, could the melder and their allies not be subject to the room name change and be able to see the room as it really is?
  • I'm loving the meld changes. Nodes in different areas/across planes combined make life so much easier as a shaman. I can have one node ready to go at all times with my weather, and instantly have it ready for whichever combat situation I meld in. Wipes on death, but still!

Only one big annoyance so far: Scarab sucks. It makes no sense to use really, since the meld is reliant on dust cures. I used Bloom Trance (gives 3 slush affs) and Scarab still doesn't really do much on a target. Can Scarab be used to block dust curing? This still doesn't put it on the power of passive entanglement of Other Druid or defense stripping of Aqua, but that would at least mesh with the meld. After that we could move forward with a report if it's still underwhelming etc... but at the very least, if it's only going to slow a single cure balance, could the cure balance be relevant to the melder please?