Oldhammer Mafia!

PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie

Welcome to Oldhammer Mafia, a loveletter to Warhammer. No, I don't mean the one with Space Marines. I mean the one that came first. No, I don't mean the newer version. I mean the old kind, the kind that was equal parts Monty Python, Power Metal, and High Fantasy. Epic stories about grand heroes and villains, largely told with the attitude of a wart-covered peasant.

Please pay attention to the rules. There are some new ones.

The Rules:

These are largely pillaged from mafia games back in the days of yore, with some additions.

Remember the basic rules: The town wants to eliminate all scum players. The scum players want to kill other players until they have half of the votes. Phases alternate between day and night. Players can vote one player out of the game each day, or vote not to eliminate anyone. Players use powers are night, and those powers include the scum being able to kill somebody!

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. VOTE Portius)

2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Anything that happens after a final vote will not happen, including unvotes to bring the target below the minimum threshold, unless a power explicitly allows this.

3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, you are not allowed to post in the thread during the day phase unless your role explicitly allows this.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)

9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.

10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.

11. The game will end when either the town or the mafia have reached their victory condition.
12. Dayphases will last no longer than 72 hours. If three days go by without a lynch, the Nightphase will immediately begin.
13. Nightphases will last no longer than 24 hours. If night actions are not delivered at the end of the night phase, it will be read as no action.

14. Resist the urge to tag people who are dead.

------------
We find ourselves in the sleepy little town of Todburg, where everyone is covered in warts and nothing much happens. Except for the beastmen coming out of the woods to carry people off. And the warriors of chaos coming from the north to burn things down. And the landlord coming for taxes. And riots in the vice district, which inexplicably makes up about 80% of the town by volume despite nearly everyone being a peasant farmer.

Ok, so there are a lot of problems. But at least there are no murderous ratmen coming up from below the streets, right? Right? Come on, you don't really believe those stupid stories, do you?
Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited September 2019
    HERE BE PLAYERS!

1. Zitto 1-shot day Neapolitan, killed N2
    2. Sylandra
    3. Alexandria Watcher, killed N1
    4. Ayisdra
    5. Arix Survivor, lynched D1
    6. Coraline Night Absorber, lynched D2
    7. Carakhan
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Hello, friends.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    It is DAY ONE. The day ends at 9:15 PM EST on Saturday, September 21st.

VOTES

None.
  • Sylandra said:
    Hello, friends.
    I do not believe this for one second.

Also, Hi from me too.
  • VOTE @Sylandra

She knows what she did.

VOTES

Sylandra-1 (Zitto)
    It’s good to be popular.  B)

Anyway @Zitto buddy let’s not pretend we didn’t win a mafia game as scum buddies once. I’ve lied for you before, bb.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Soo... the scum are ratmen? It's totally the ratmen, right?

All you hallifaxians are basically pigeons, which are winged rats. Hmm...

(Hi)
    Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • Hello!

vote none
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.

VOTES

Sylandra-1 (Zitto)
    None-1 (Coraline)
  • I would like to make a case for a day-one lynch this game. We have seven players. In terms of balance, we're on the threshold of a game appropriately sized for one or two scum. In terms of the math of a pure random guess probability, one scum would be almost perfectly balanced for a no-power game, but in balancing powers Portius may have elected to balance town powers with a second scum player. Three scum would be absurdly tilted.

If there are two scum, the starting balance of players is 5 town to 2 scum. This allows three town deaths before the scum can win the game. If we lynch today, those three deaths are two lynches and one nightkill. If we don't lynch today, it is two night-kills and one lynch. We'd be better off taking two shots, even if one is blind, than betting the game on tomorrow's lynch.

I'm open to anyone who wants to make the case for one scum based on their fluff or power information. If we agree to do a day-one lynch, there may be value in mass-claiming today and lynching either a duplicate claim or the last person to claim.
  • hello, checking in. We need how many votes to lynch/end the day? 3 or 4?

• also @Carakhan the scum are anyone who aren't Imperial
  • Hmm unvote

definitely not used to this though, mostly,  on what basis are we going to lynch them ?
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
    Day one is a dice roll. If 2/7 people are scum and you’re a townie, that gives you random odds of 2/6 for lynching a mafia on day one–assuming again that you’re a townie voting for someone else and this mafia count of 2 is correct. Of course, it takes 4 votes to succeed in this, so you’d need 4/5 existing townies to push it through if the mafia won’t help oust their own.

If you’re a mafia the odds look a little different. If you can steer the train away from you and your partner successfully, you only need 2/5 townies to succeed in pushing a mislynch if you participate. Pushing a mislynch is therefore much easier on day 1 for mafia given the random nature of it and how little information town has. It’s also a great way to randomly off roles like the doctor or the investigation before they go into play—2/5 townie targets are likely to have those roles.

But here is where day one lynch is most useful for town. Sure, a mislynch is more likely to happen than a successful mafia lynch. But day two lets you analyze the vote patterns on day one. How “random” was the behavior? Who piled on at the last minute? Who pushed the train or fought against it?

If the mafia was struck on day 1, then you can guess for example a mafioso didn’t gun for them at the start. That helps you “read” who is town. Did someone quietly finish a lynch without participating to end the day in a mislynch? Possible that person is scum trying to end the day.

I’m not against a vote today but I am against being lynched personally so I guess I’ll throw a random vote out. vote Arix 
    Daraius said:

VOTES

Sylandra-1 (Zitto)
    Arix-1 (Sylandra)

With 7 Old Worlders alive, it will take 4 votes to lynch!
  • Will tag @Arix to let him know he's being voted
  • It should be 4 votes to lynch today, given there are seven of us. Simple majorities and all that. 
    A lynching sounds like fun. 

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• I am a believer in day one lynches for town's benefit, for reasons that Zitto and Sylandra have summarised. For the sake of choice, I'm going to pick the person who hasn't said anything yet today.

Vote: @Ayisdra

• Carakhan said:
    I am a believer in day one lynches for town's benefit, for reasons that Zitto and Sylandra have summarised. For the sake of choice, I'm going to pick the person who hasn't said anything yet today.

I was like the 4th post, saying how I don't trust Sylandra (implying how rng has made her scum most likely)
  • I'm not a fan of day 1 lynching. But I'll wait to hear everyone's perspectives and if there comes an actual reason we should Lynch today I'll gladly cooperate
  • Ayisdra said:
    Carakhan said:
    I am a believer in day one lynches for town's benefit, for reasons that Zitto and Sylandra have summarised. For the sake of choice, I'm going to pick the person who hasn't said anything yet today.

I was like the 4th post, saying how I don't trust Sylandra (implying how rng has made her scum most likely)
    I meant real life, although I can see the confusion. You were the person who posted least recently, and for me, at least, it was yesterday.

But you're here now! Thoughts on a day one lunch?
  • Lynch. My phone apparently prefers talking about food. 
  • I think a day 1 lynch is probably the biggest gamble we can do with how small the game is, assuming 2 scum. If we don't lynch today, that would make 4 town, 2 scum on day 2. Basically making it so we would have to lynch a scum going into Night 2. Lynching day 1, I believe, would also put is at a lynch or lose on day 2 if we kill an innocent, rather than day 3 if we did nolynch day 1.
    I can see why someone would make the case for a day 1 lynch. I am even willing to go along with it if we are ok with hoping that the night will prove bring information to light.

VOTES

Sylandra-1 (Zitto)
    Arix-1 (Sylandra)
    Ayisdra-1 (Carakhan)

With 7 Old Worlders alive, it will take 4 votes to lynch!
  • Coraline said:
    I'm not a fan of day 1 lynching. But I'll wait to hear everyone's perspectives and if there comes an actual reason we should Lynch today I'll gladly cooperate
    There's not going to be an actual reason. Nobody's had time to use their powers if they have them. The basis of a day-one lynch is that a 2/7 random chance of hitting scum is better than a 0/7 chance, and that analysis of the lynch today gives us information tomorrow. If there are two scum and we don't lynch today, we're essentially throwing away a 29% chance to hit scum in exchange for nothing in return except the warm feeling that we didn't risk actually lynch a townie. We potentially lose at the end of tomorrow either way.

Also, I'm sticking to my Sylandra guns on my vote. I'd rather lose making a different mistake this time than lose the same way twice.
    For the record, I have played town a lot more than people give me credit for! I have only played mafia side in two games! Sheesh.

I’m down with a day one mass claim if we want to strip down the setup ASAP. Course that also means we will lose any benefits that could slow down the mafia night 1 such as immunities, etc. But it would put the mafia at a huge disadvantage in terms of claiming, since they don’t know what is or isn’t in play.
    Daraius said:
  • I am also on board for mass-claim. In a show of good faith, I the Witchhunter, a limited investigator. My one-use power reports whether or not a target is a vanilla townie. Anyone with an ability or non-town will trigger it, but I will not know which one it is.
  • I would rather not reveal my role D1 because I feel like I won't be able to use it to town's advantage if I did. Obviously I will if I'm forced to, but I'd rather not.
    Zitto said:
    I am also on board for mass-claim. In a show of good faith, I the Witchhunter, a limited investigator. My one-use power reports whether or not a target is a vanilla townie. Anyone with an ability or non-town will trigger it, but I will not know which one it is.
    Sure I’ll follow up. I’m the Bawd. I can, once, see what powers have targeted a person at night. Not the name of who targets them, just what powers targeted them.

Also I’m town. 
    Daraius said: