Mafia: Assassin in the Palace

The Rules:

The basic rules: The guards and prince want to lynch the assassin. The assassin wants to identify the prince.  Players can vote one player out of the game each day, who will be identified when dead. The assassin may choose their target at any time, including after being lynched, and wins if they kill the prince.

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. VOTE Portius)

2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Please do not post during twilight.

3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, you are not allowed to post in the thread during the day phase unless your role explicitly allows this.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)

9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.

10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.

11. The game will end when the assassin chooses their target.

12. Day phases will last until a lynch occurs. The next day phase begins as soon the mod post reveals the identity of the lynched player.

------------

The masquerade ball was an absolute delight. The elaborate costumes had taken weeks to prepare, and by the king's order none were to know one another's identities until the festivities ended save the guards of the royal family. The mystery led an air of excitement to the proceedings; you could be dancing with the queen herself but it could just as well be one of the commonfolk fortunate enough to be invited to enhance the mystery. All is well until the eleventh hour is rung, when a tragic scene disrupts the festivities. One of the celebrants, dressed in the elaborate costume of a dragon, begins flailing and groaning. It does not take long for many to see the cause: the celebrant's throat has been cut wide open. The identity of the dead man is quickly solved, as several voices cry out: "The King! The King!", followed by a swift command, "Defend the Prince!"

In a matter of moments, the guards to secret the prince away to a safe-room, but their sense of relief is short-lived. As the torches of the room are lit, a quick count reveals six people in the room, but the royal guard number only four and the prince should make a fifth. With dread, the gathered realize the assassin managed to follow their mad dash from the ballroom, but for some reason has not struck. As the party stare each other down, realization dawns on all: Everyone is still in costume, and the assassin does not know who the prince is. There is naught to do but strike the scoundrel down before this tragedy can be completed.

Comments

• edited September 2019
    The Players and their status are as follows:

1. @Sylandra - Alive
    2. @Portius - Dead (Guard)
    3. @Daraius - Dead (Guard)
    4. @Lief - Alive
    5. @Alexandria - Alive
    6. @Chronas - Alive
  • edited September 2019
    Day One has begun! With six alive, it takes four to lynch.

The day ends when a player is lynched, and not before.
  • Hello, fellow guards!
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    We're all going to have a total blast storming the castle.

Vote Daraius. That's for bamboozling me in Werewolf, you jerkface.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Being the first to suggest a lynching is probably the best way that @Sylandra can confirm herself as town - the scum wouldn't risk putting votes on the prince and showing everyone that they weren't in the know. I'm not saying that makes @Lief suspicious (yet) - it just means Sylandra is, as usual, 10 steps ahead of the rest of us. :)

A quick lynch on day one seems to be the best/only strategy for this setup, and since we don't have to discuss or theorize about role lists, I'll join Sylandra and vote Daraius.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Confirming that I have noticed the game's start.

Also, VOTE DARAIUS because random lynch is probably the correct choice and he's as good a pick as any.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • It is DAY ONE. The day ends only when someone is lynched.

VOTES

Daraius-3 (Sylandra, Chronas, Portius)

With 6 Masked Revelers alive, it will take 4 votes to lynch!
  • I like a good lynching as much as anyone, and we need to get the assassin before s/he can strike again!

That said, I'm going to hold off on voting until @Daraius can get a post in and play.

Also, there's Rule #1 to consider (voting for Sylandra). Quick lynch is probably the best choice, but wouldn't that work in the assassin's favor, too, thinning ourselves out so they have fewer guards to guess between?
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
    Part of me is feeling guilty this has gone so unexpectedly smoothly and @Daraius hasn’t even posted yet.

Another part of me is thinking yes my revenge is complete.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I truly don't understand this grudge of Sylandra's and I'm heartbroken that she'd try to end my first ever forum mafia game from the jump!

Vote Sylandra because she never loses.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

VOTES

Daraius - 3 (Sylandra, Chronas, Portius)
    Sylandra - 1 (Daraius)

• @Daraius's reasoning is sound to me!

Vote Sylandra (at least until @Alexandria can speak and/or vote!)
    ~
    ~
  • Hahah, you've been waiting for this moment. I don't know how you've been so patient!

I am not jumping on the lynch train, let's see what he has to say before he dies at least :D

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

Daraius said:
    I truly don't understand this grudge of Sylandra's and I'm heartbroken that she'd try to end my first ever forum mafia game from the jump!

Vote Sylandra because she never loses.
    You know what you did in May 2016.
    Daraius said:

VOTES

Sylandra - 2 (Daraius, Lief)

• @Chronas - @Sylandra could be 10 steps ahead of the rest of us in declaring herself town (if she has!) by voting first, or she could be very lucky. She's always been incredibly fun to watch and read in these games because I'm pretty sure she could talk herself out of literally anything she might need to. 

I'm not saying she's definitely the assassin. I'm wary of everyone, but particularly @Alexandria and @Portius right now for not voting/jumping on the lynch train pretty easily respectively. And @Chronas for being quick to jump in to second the lynch - if @Sylandra has in fact confirmed herself as town, the assassin would feel pretty good about voting second knowing that they are the assassin themselves.

Hmm. Unvote.

This game is really interesting because we, the town, have to be just as tricksy as the scum since lynching the scum isn't a guarantee of victory for us.
    ~
    ~
    It's very flippy-floppy in terms of strategy. In some ways being a guard in AiTP is more about thinking like a mafia than thinking like a townie! "What does my enemy not know yet that I do, and what's the best way of getting the result I want while keeping them in the dark?"

Townies in mafia games usually need to talk to try and solve the riddles the mafia presents. Here, our job is to prevent the assassin from having a chance to solve the riddle!

More importantly I need justice for #CursedTanner2016. Chop chop.
    Daraius said:
  • I forgot to refresh before I posted. My bad. (there was a poop emergency involving a two and a half year old - don't ask).

I'm going to vote Lief for being suspicious of me for not lynching when I didn't realise Dar had already answered! PFFT!

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• @Alexandria But I'm suspicious of everyone!
    ~
    ~

VOTES

Sylandra - 1 (Daraius)
    Lief - 1 (Alexandria)

Patience, friends! We have time to lynch all the suspicious people! Just pick one.

Specifically, the dog in the suit.
    Daraius said:
  • Okay, okay! @Sylandra has bullied me into it.

Someone's got to be first. Vote Daraius.
    ~
    ~
  • Lief said:
    Okay, okay! @Sylandra has bullied me into it.

Someone's got to be first. Vote Daraius.
    I'm just saying, my first mafia game in ten years I was scum with @Sylandra. I have good reason to be suspicious of her too!

But let's see what the talking brings out by, say, morning.

• That's a Lynch!

A discussion consisting entirely of furtive glances, meaningful gestures, and the occasional nudge is suddenly interrupted as Sylandra leaps at Daraius. He tries to draw a sword but Chronas, standing next to him, grabs his hand. Portius and Lief restrain him as Sylandra delivers several brutal gouges, killing him (and ruining his lovely dog costume). When his struggles cease, his mask is removed, and you see that he was:

A Guard: " You are a Guard. It is your duty to protect the Prince from being assassinated. You and every other guard know the identity of the Prince. You win if the Prince survives the assassination attempt."

The violence subsides and you return to your tense stare-down

It is DAY TWO. The day ends only when someone is lynched.

With 5 Masked Revelers alive, it will take 3 votes to lynch!

Daraius said:
    The game only advances when we lynch. Assuming a standard setup for this format, the scum will only kill once, and they do so even if they die. There will be no night powers to guide us.

That means that the first vote to lynch is essentially random. Technically strictly speaking there's more to it than that, but functionally it is pretty close to random. The rest of the people on the train can draw information from previous voters, of course. Dealing with the motivation to start a random (or "Random") train is heavily a WIFOM situation and not likely to bear fruit at this stage.

Now, here's the interesting thing. Remember that guards already know who the king is, and that they lose if he dies. Knowing that, it is incredibly dangerous for any townie to put the king in a position where the vote could get hammered. The fact that Daraius has three votes on him presents three likely scenarios: the scum already voted, the town messed up, or Daraius is not the king. The scum know if they voted, so they know if either the town messed up or that Daraius is not their ultimate target. I'll grant that it could be a bluff, but that is incredibly risky because guards don't have day communication.

So, what happens in those cases? Well, them confirming Daraius as non-king is functionally similar to us lynching him from the scum perspective. They're not gonna kill him if he's dead, they're not gonna kill him if he's confirmed that way. They have similar information, whether he lives or dies. The difference is that letting him live means we pass up a chance to kill someone who might be scum. That favors the assassin.

They could read it as a town mistake, of course, which might incline them to assassinate Daraius. But here's the rub. They have no reason to do it right away. They go until we catch them, and then they kill. So we have to lynch somebody anyway. It may as well be Daraius, since he is currently the person that will look least kingly to an assassin anyway. Smallest loss if he's town. I suppose there's a case for vote analysis at this stage, but so many people have valid reasons to lynch at random that I don't think we can draw meaningful conclusions for it.

tldr We have to kill someone, Daraius is probably the best choice now even if he was random to start with.
    Welp, sniped. Serves me right for being slow about pondering before I posted.
    A reasonable choice! I'd have to think about the vote positioning to be sure, but I tentatively don't think there's any of my actions that are utterly unreasonable for either town or a scum player. I might find one if I thought about it more, but none are coming to mind. That said, I clearly know my own identity and thus have to vote for someone else. Which has to be Sylandra because she's Sylandra. I mean, come on. Voting for me aside, Sylandra is dangerously close to be Slylandra and that is the scummiest name known to humanity.

Vote Sylandra
    Portius said:
    A reasonable choice! I'd have to think about the vote positioning to be sure, but I tentatively don't think there's any of my actions that are utterly unreasonable for either town or a scum player. I might find one if I thought about it more, but none are coming to mind. That said, I clearly know my own identity and thus have to vote for someone else. Which has to be Sylandra because she's Sylandra. I mean, come on. Voting for me aside, Sylandra is dangerously close to be Slylandra and that is the scummiest name known to humanity.

Vote Sylandra
    That is highly Sylanderous! How very dare you!
    Daraius said: