The Masque of the Red Death: Contagion in the Palace [Assassin Wins!]

SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia GamesThe Last Mafia Game
edited September 2019 in Mafia Hideout

The Rules (Underlined some important new ones):

The basic rules: The guards and prince want to lynch the assassin. The assassin wants to identify and infect the prince.  On day one, the majority of players will vote one player out of the game, who will be identified when lynched. Once that player's alignment flips, they must INFECT another player with the Red Death, acting as a one-person lynch. Once they have chosen whom to infect, the player will be treated as dead. This process continues until the assassin is infected. The assassin then wins if they kill Prince Prospero, the king. (See here for more details.)

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. VOTE Sylandra)

2. Once a majority has been reached, the first day ends. Please do not post during twilight.

3. There are no nightphases in this game.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread.

5. Once you are infected or lynched, you have twenty-four hours to INFECT <Player>. After this, you will be eliminated from the game and unable to participate in the dayphase. If you do not infect someone, the Wheel of Fate (RNGsus) will determine who you infect.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)

9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.

10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.

11. The game will end when the assassin chooses their target.

12. Day phases will last until a lynch occurs, or an infection occurs. The next day phase begins as soon the mod post reveals the identity of the lynched or infected player.

13. Living players are allowed to post and talk to infected individuals to try and sway their choice of next target.

14. You may not out the identity of the king. You may not pretend to out the identity of the king. Doing so will result in an immediate modkill. This rule does not apply to voting for the king.

------------

Dead Players:
1. Portius
2. Ayisdra
3. Coraline
4. Orael
5. Zitto (the assassin)
6. Lief (the king)
Daraius said:
"Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."

Comments

• Hello everyone! Let's find the Assassin in this masquerade before we all did from the Red Death
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    IT IS DAY ONE

"The prince had provided all the appliances of pleasure. There were buffoons, there were improvisatori, there were ballet-dancers, there were musicians, there was Beauty, there was wine. All these and security were within. Without was the "Red Death."

With six nobles alive, it takes four to lynch an outsider. The day shall not end until a lynch is reached.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • In day two and on, we'll (or at least our poor selectee) have material to analyze on vote motivations and who seems to be fishing for information, but day one is essentially a random choice. I nominate Portius on the following basis:

1. I know he will take his death philosophically.
    2. He is very clever and I trust him to use D2 information effectively.
    3. He is very clever and if he is the assassin I want him selecting from as large a pool as possible.

Vote Portius
  • I hope the Red Death doesn't get us all!

@Zitto's logic is very sound, but I want to hear from more people before I vote.
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • I'm going to Vote Coraline because she posted first.
    IT IS DAY ONE

Votes:
    Portius: Zitto (1)
    Coraline: Ayisdra (1)

With six nobles alive, it takes four to lynch an outsider. The day shall not end until a lynch is reached.
    Daraius said:
  • I'm just gonna vote Portius too
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Zitto said:
    In day two and on, we'll (or at least our poor selectee) have material to analyze on vote motivations and who seems to be fishing for information, but day one is essentially a random choice. I nominate Portius on the following basis:

1. I know he will take his death philosophically.
    2. He is very clever and I trust him to use D2 information effectively.
    3. He is very clever and if he is the assassin I want him selecting from as large a pool as possible.

Hilariously, my first thought was to lynch you for precisely those reasons. I don't think I'm a terrible choice, but I am also not sure I'm optimal at a meta level yet. I would like somewhat more pre-lynch time to work through the setup and figure things out. There might be a case for waiting a kill or so to provide a little more information for the infection kill. I'm not yet sure that it's the best case, though.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Hello,

I'm down with Zitto's logic 

Vote: Portius
    IT IS DAY ONE

Votes:
    Portius: Zitto, Coraline, Orael (3)

Daraius said:
  • Honestly, I didn't jump on lynching @Portius because @Zitto's logic was so sound. I think it'd be a good idea to keep them both alive, assuming (hopefully) that neither is someone who wants to murder us all.

If I'm understanding the rules right, even though an infected person needs to infect someone within 24 hours of being infected, everyone else can still talk, right? And once an infected person's 24 hour time is up, they can no longer talk?

So if we lynch @Portius, he might make a really good choice on D2, and then he'd be unable to participate and help us out, per rule 5 - am I right in my understanding? It seems pretty clear but I just want to be 100% certain.
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
    edited September 2019
    Lief said:
    If I'm understanding the rules right, even though an infected person needs to infect someone within 24 hours of being infected, everyone else can still talk, right? And once an infected person's 24 hour time is up, they can no longer talk?
    • Once someone has been lynched or infected, the mod (me) will reveal the alignment of that individual. A 24 hour time limit will begin from the moment I make that post. The individual lynched will still be able to post and talk during this time.
    • Everyone alive may still talk during the dayphase to try and sway the actions of the lynched/infected individual.
    • Once the individual has chosen who to infect, or their 24 hours are up (whichever comes first), they will be considered dead and unable to continue posting during the dayphases.
    Daraius said:
  • Oh, I misunderstood pretty significantly. I thought we all stayed in play throughout the game, we just passed around executive control to the new infectee. We're in kind of the awkward position of having Portius within hammer range, which is informative to the assassin, but having a good reason to hold off. I'll live it to him to analyze from that position.
    edited September 2019
    Nope, the dead remain dead! If anyone has any other questions about the setup, please feel free to either ask here or message me. It's a new setup, so I'm happy to clarify!
    Daraius said:
    Ok. With that information in play, I think I can reasonably say that I've inferred all that I can infer. Which is less than I would like, but day 1.
    I think there are two reasonably sound lynches in play right now: Portius and Zitto.
    I am going on raw metagaming for the lynch here, which is not ideal but possible because small population of mostly known players. Except Orael, of course. Welcome to forum mafia, by the way.

My assessment of Zitto's personality is that lynching me is exactly scum-Zitto's first choice move. He operates under the assumption that I am a strong mafia player, so it's natural that he'd want to take me out before I have a lot of data to analyze to inform my infection kill.
    On the other hand, and this is going to sound terrible, sorry Zippo, him badly misunderstanding the rules in ways that retroactively lead to a mistake is pretty on brand for town Zitto. If we assume that he genuinely thought I would be available for comment for the entire game, then his lynch train on me doesn't seriously undermine me. It'd be a pretty solid town play.
    In the case that Zitto is town, he can probably make a pretty decent infection choice. I think it's likely that he'd pick me, anyway.

Now, I do have some basic thoughts on other players, but I am hesitating to expound on them before I have to for fear of people taking them a gospel too early. I have the post-lynch discussion period if I need to post them anyway, and I don't think there are serious chances of a lynch on anyone other than us.

Since I know that I'm town, I know that I should vote for someone who is not me. VOTE ZITTO on meta basis. That having been said I am not terribly opposed to someone hammering me, I just think it's worse than hitting Zitto.
    IT IS DAY ONE

Votes:
    Portius: Zitto, Coraline, Orael (3)
    Zitto: Portius (1)

Daraius said:
  • I'll go ahead and UNVOTE for now.

I too, thought that people were around for the long haul, and want to re-think things before committing to oustering someone.
  • Honestly, I really badly want both Portius and Zitto to not be team assassin since I think that with them both, we could probably pull off a town win this time around. Maybe wishful thinking will make it so?

@Zitto, what are your thoughts? I know you're not going to vote to lynch yourself, but what do you otherwise think?
    ~
    ~

• @Zitto, what are your thoughts? I know you're not going to vote to lynch yourself, but what do you otherwise think?
    Portius and I have essentially perfect mirror reasons to nominate the other, in that we're very similar in both town and scum ability. We also each know to our own satisfaction that we're town, so neither of us is incentivized to vote for ourselves over the other. There's not really a good case to be made for one of us over the other from anyone else's perspective, and lynching one of us is probably setting the other to get infected tomorrow as we annihilate one another in mutual semi-assured destruction.

I'd like to change the rules of the game. Something that didn't happen in the last game was an effort on the part of the guards to lay misinformation or otherwise deliberately subvert the assassin's efforts, so I think we should try that. I will

Unvote Portius

And now we pour out the two glasses, pour the iocane powder, and play Wine In Front Of Me. I'm a bloodthirsty savage in mafia, eager to lynch early and willing to make daring guesses. Was this a near-lynch of an innocent guard? Or have we pulled off an amazing gambit by unblinkingly almost lynching the king? The answer is, we probably didn't, so if we have it's almost certain victory. It'd be really risky, but we also backed off from the edge -pretty- quickly. I'll leave the assassin to stew on that.

In the meantime, I will

Vote Aysidra

Because he was scum in my last game and "Because Coraline posted first" is weakest random vote reason I have heard come out of the mouth of anyone besides Sylandra. Unless he voted for her because she is king to throw the assassin off the scent! The assassin's committed one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is “Never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well known is this: “Never go in against a Hallifaxian, when death is on the line!”
  • Zitto said:

@Zitto, what are your thoughts? I know you're not going to vote to lynch yourself, but what do you otherwise think?

Because he was scum in my last game and "Because Coraline posted first" is weakest random vote reason I have heard come out of the mouth of anyone besides Sylandra. Unless he voted for her because she is king to throw the assassin off the scent! The assassin's committed one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is “Never get involved in a land war in Asia,” but only slightly less well known is this: “Never go in against a Hallifaxian, when death is on the line!”
    Weaker than saying 'because Portius is a good player and I view that as a threat'?

I feel like Zitto may be playing all of you right now by letting us talk this much and giving the assassin a lot to analyze for clues.
  • For me, @Coraline's reaction in voting for @Portius instead of counter-voting the person voting her made me wonder about her, since nobody had voted for @Ayisdra yet. Though at that point it was two names on the board, hers and Portius's, so maybe I'm just overthinking D1.

@Coraline - you're still sticking to voting Portius, but maybe that's just because you haven't had a chance to check in yet? Able to confirm sticking with Portius/changing your mind/voting someone else?
    ~
    ~
  • (psst no one tell Zitto that I'm not a Hallifaxian :P )

I had no reason to vote Portius rather than going along with a majority vote so we can uncover the Assassin fast. I can unvote for now though. I have my suspicions too, but I don't want to accuse, since the more we accuse, the more the Assassin can narrow down the prince. 
    Oh, so that isn't ending in an immediate lynch on either Zitto or myself as I expected. OK then.

So, Coraline voted early. That strikes me as weird. In past games (not very many, and none in this format, so I don't feel confident) my read has been that she's generally much more cautious. Could be due to change of format, could be due to an assassin thinking I'm as good a target as any and knowing that the second vote probably won't draw as much attention as being on the end. I'm not opposed to that lynch, but I'm not entirely sold on it.

I think there's a comparably strong case for lynching Lief. Her reluctance to vote could be an assassin wanting to get as much information on the table as possible to narrow down options, or one that's afraid of accidentally throwing a lynch on the prince and looking suspicious. On the other hand, that same reluctance was there in past games. I'm broadly open to this lynch.

I have fairly mixed feelings on both Ayisdra and Orael right now and need more time to work through them. Still open to murdering Zippo though.
    edited September 2019

IT IS DAY ONE

Votes:
    Ayisdra: Zitto (1)

Daraius said:
  • Coraline said:
    (psst no one tell Zitto that I'm not a Hallifaxian :P )
    In as much as a person who hasn't played in years can be anything, I am Hallifaxian.
  • I have reason to suspect Portius and one other person, and since I don't want to accuse more and help assassin narrow down the Prince, I might just vote Portius again
  • Coraline said:
    I have reason to suspect Portius and one other person, and since I don't want to accuse more and help assassin narrow down the Prince, I might just vote Portius again
    Just want to point out that you bolded so it's ambiguous whether you are saying you might vote Portius or are actually voting for him.
  • I'm actually voting him
  • @Coraline That makes sense!

@Zitto I love your post, but in all honesty I don't know that we are sneaky enough players for that! From where I'm standing, @Portius is the only person to get more than one vote, and casting one vote on someone without anyone else voting is a reasonable move for potentially hiding the King's identity. Unless the assassin is making some very bold moves, I think there's a reason nobody but @Portius has been able to gain any traction.

So I'm going to go ahead and Vote Portius myself, which probably makes me suspicious given how safe a vote he probably seems right now despite everyone backing off. But I'm not sure I'm willing to vote for anyone else given how we've voted so far!
    ~
    ~

IT IS DAY ONE

Votes:
    Ayisdra: Zitto (1)
    Portius: Coraline, Lief (2)

Daraius said: