The Masque of the Red Death: Contagion in the Palace [Assassin Wins!]

Comments

• I've slept on it, and I think it's ok to finish Portius off here.

Vote: Portius
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game

IT IS DAY ONE

Votes:
    Coraline: Ayisdra (1)
    Zitto: Portius (1)
    Ayisdra: Zitto (1)
    Portius: Coraline, Lief, Orael (3)

With six nobles alive, it takes four to lynch an outsider. The day shall not end until a lynch is reached.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I have a pile of opinions, but I don't think there's any stopping this train from making it to the station. I have thoughts to share on the other side of the alignment reveal.

Vote Portius
    edited September 2019

DAY ONE HAS ENDED!

Votes:
    Coraline: Ayisdra (1)
    Zitto: Portius (1)
    Portius: Coraline, Lief, Orael, Zitto (4)

BY DECREE OF THE COURT, PORTIUS HAS BEEN BANISHED TO SUFFER THE RAVAGES OF THE RED DEATH!

As his mask is revealed, you discover that Portius is a Guard.

IT IS NOW DAY 2.

Portius is now infected with the Red Death.

At 12pm EST on 10/1, the Red Death will consume and kill Portius.

Whom shall Portius INFECT with his revenge before he meets his Maker?

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."

• ^ All of us waiting for a post-lynch post or decision.

I have a lot of thoughts, but want to wait on more veteran players to post or for Portius to go for it.
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I was under the impression that I'm supposed to give you people a chance to sway my decision before I make it. I'm at about 75% confidence on my choice, but I'm open to hearing people out.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I'll post my thoughts, then!

I think the assassin is among those who first voted to lynch you. We got to three votes insanely easily, and an assassin would love to see numbers thin fast to narrow down their options. A good but cautious assassin will wait to vote until there is at least another vote down, and a very cautious assassin might wait until there are two guards willing to commit to a lynch to risk looking like they've been played.

All those bets are out the window if our assassin is fearless, though.

I know I'm one of the people who ultimately voted for you (and that I've been shady as all heck, but that's my style I'm discovering?). I'm 100% willing to eat the infection myself to go after one of the people I think might be the assassin, but I think I also was pretty pro-town in clarifying rules so everybody was clear on what lynching someone would mean.

Given our few numbers, I think it's best to try to target a suspected assassin rather than thin our numbers further.
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • To avoid risking looking like they've been played*, to clarify a sentence above at the end of paragraph 2!
    ~
    ~
  • Based on the day one conversation and because I managed to be both the first and last person on Portius's train (I looked it up, manual of style says you use 's even on words that end in the letter s), I assume my head's on the block, but on the same principle we discussed earlier, we have an obligation to resist our own lynching when doing so does not hurt the king.

The two things that didn't happen in the last AitP game which I believe led to the straightforward assassin victory were a lack of counterintelligence attempts and no real effort at scum-hunting.  The town lynched based on Sylandra's preference, and with no insult intended Sylandra's preference was based on whatever seemed funniest to her at the time. Ask her about it, I dare you. Now, part of the problem we face is that openly discussing who is most suspicious reveals information to the assassin, but having virtually no discussion didn't stop Chronas from picking his target from the small pool of players that survived the random lynchings.

The lynch is in safe hands. @Portius isn't accidentally going to lynch the king, and he can credibly ignore any of us without significant suspicion on the basis that he thinks we're the assassin. We can take advantage of what five of us know and one does not; all of us but the assassin are "in on the joke" if we suggest the king as a candidate. One way to prevent revealed information from being useful is to smother it with information that isn't helpful, Ala "The Library of Babel". The assassin won't know when you're blowing smoke, but it'll be much more obvious to the guards. We can also poison the information we present by deliberately and obviously lying about our reasoning without making it clear what in particular is true and what's a lie. Once again, the players who are in the know will have a much easier time seeing and recognizing a bluff, and the fact that some information is false or misleading reduces the credibility of all of it to the assassin. One important aspect of this is not to acknowledge the reasoning of the other players very much; make up some fluff and tell some truth, but do it in a vacuum, we don't want to build interlocking sets of assumptions that the assassin can analyze to try to figure out which trains of thought are the true ones.

My point is, I'm going to accuse some people. Maybe it's because I actually think they're likely to be assassin. Maybe it's because I want to muddy the waters by slandering the king. Maybe I'm the king and that's why I'm comfortable being this wild; after all, nobody but Portius has made any effort to lynch me, though @Aysidra gets an honorable mention for saying "no you" to me. The important thing is that Portius has the information to know which one it is, but the assassin does not.

@Aysidra is playing exactly the same way he did in the Warhammer mafia game, lurking heavily and not doing much except pushing a little bit of suspicion on people. Maybe he's the assassin, but let's keep switching the wine glasses! Maybe he's just doing a 100% perfect imitation of how he would play the assassin because the king can afford to look scummy. As in the Warhammer game, he's number one on my list and I personally endorse his lynch above all others. You can't see it here, but I'm winking because the assassin is supposed to ask himself if I'm lying.

My other totally credible and completely serious suggestion is lynching @Lief. Look at how friendly she has been to the two people most likely to get a train going on day one and incidentally also the people most likely to be choosing targets on days two and three. Reading people as town and declaring your desire to trust them is so much easier when you're scum and actually know they're town! Plus, when you say nice things about them, they might forget they should consider whether or not to lynch you! This isn't a sure thing, but it's the next most suspicious thing to me after Ayisdra's Scum-Ayisdra-like lurking. You know, unless I'm bullshitting a reason to suggest we lynch the king. Where's the iocane powder? My glass, your glass, both glasses, no glasses? That said, Lief, please continue to press the LOL button on my posts. My ego is making purring sounds not unlike a kitten.

Finally, for surviving that wall of text, you get the first photo of Zitto ever uploaded to these forums:

httpsiimgurcomm5PRoaUpng
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Ok. I swear I have reasons for this lynch, but I'm not going to share them for Reasons. They're good ones, I promise.

Zitto: I haven't actually ruled you out as scum, but I have ruled you out as a good lynch target. I have extreme confidence in you getting the right answer next phase, if we have one, whichever side you happen to be on.

INFECT AYISDRA. COUGH COUGH MOTHERBLEEPER.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • @Zitto - Ask and you shall receive!
    ~
    ~
    edited September 2019

DAY 2 HAS ENDED!

AS PORTIUS LIES DYING, HE CALLS OUT THE NAME OF AYISDRA, INVOKING THE CURSE OF THE RED DEATH UPON HIM!

Portius has died of the Red Death and can no longer take part in the dayphase.

As his mask is revealed, you discover that @Ayisdra is a Guard.

IT IS NOW DAY 3.

Ayisdra is now infected with the Red Death. 

At 3:30pm EST on 10/1, the Red Death will consume and kill Ayisdra.

Whom shall Ayisdra INFECT with his revenge before he meets his Maker?
    Daraius said:
  • I feel like I have a good idea who the Assassin is right now. I wish I could communicate with Ayisdra via telepathy haha
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • This is straight up the most surprised I have ever been by a mafia flip. I figure I should start figuring out who I'm coughing on for day 4.
  • No pressure @Ayisdra!
    ~
    ~
  • @Zitto 's mistake is that he assumes I'm good at Mafia to begin this. This is far from the truth. I'm probably one of the worst players there is.
  • Ayisdra said:
    @Zitto 's mistake is that he assumes I'm good at Mafia to begin this. This is far from the truth. I'm probably one of the worst players there is.
    Given that they targeted you, my thoughts I expressed to Portius on D2 still stand in their entirety.

Of course, now all your options left had voted for Portius and gave him his lynching, so...

If you think I'm suspicious and not just super noobish, I'll still happily take the infection, but our pool is shrinking by a lot. I don't think we can afford losing too many more guards.

Again, no pressure! :grin:
    ~
    ~
  • As much as I think Zitto assumes I'm just going to kill him, I think I'm going to go with my initial thoughts to see how it goes and

INFECT CORALINE
  • I've got things to say but I'm at work, will say then tonight!
    edited September 2019

DAY 3 HAS ENDED!

AS AYISDRA LIES DYING, HE CALLS OUT THE NAME OF CORALINE, INVOKING THE CURSE OF THE RED DEATH UPON HER!

Ayisdra has died of the Red Death and can no longer take part in the dayphase.

As her mask is revealed, you discover that @Coraline is a Guard.

IT IS NOW DAY 4.

Coraline is now infected with the Red Death. 

At 5:00pm EST on 10/1, the Red Death will consume and kill Coraline.

Whom shall Coraline INFECT with her revenge before she meets her Maker?
    Daraius said:
  • Noooo how could you?

Well I have a good idea who it is but I'll give everyone 3 hours to explain their positions.
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Well, maybe not 3 hours since my body is deteriorating and it's very painful. But maybe till most people have made their posts.
  • @Coraline I've got nothing else to add, myself! Consider my position the same (but that it's even more urgent to get the right person now). (Though I guess if I was the assassin, I'd start really liking my chances at this point). (I promise I'm not though, and the real assassin knows it!)
    ~
    ~
  • Ehh what's the point in waiting more if information could only be used against us? I do hope that I'm right (I'm more than 95% confident that I am), and even then we will need luck!

So anyway.

Orael the Anomaly? More like Orael the Assassin! 

INFECT ORAEL
  • Nooo, it's Zitto
  • Infect: Zitto

DAY 4 HAS ENDED!

AS CORALINE LIES DYING, SHE CALLS OUT THE NAME OF ORAEL, INVOKING THE CURSE OF THE RED DEATH UPON HIM!

Coraline has died of the Red Death and can no longer take part in the dayphase.

As his mask is revealed, you discover that @Orael is a Guard.

IT IS NOW DAY 5.

Orael is now infected with the Red Death. 

With only two individuals left, as a loyal guard, his choice is clear.

“Infect @Zitto.”

As his mask is revealed, you discover Zitto was the Assassin.

And his choice, too, is clear.

”Infect his majesty the king... @Lief.”

DAY 5 HAS ENDED!

AS ZITTO LIES DYING, HE CALLS OUT THE NAME OF LIEF, INVOKING THE CURSE OF THE RED DEATH UPON HER!

Zitto has died of the Red Death, but he has WON.

As her mask is revealed, you discover that @Lief was the king.

THE RED DEATH HAS CLAIMED THE KING AND THE KINGDOM! THE ASSASSIN HAS WON!

Daraius said:
  • I was thinking to myself on my drive home that @Zitto deserved to win if he was the assassin. 😁

Congrats, @Zitto!

My suspicion was in how you finished @Portius off before anyone could maybe vote for Orael or me. And the way you seemed to be testing the waters by throwing a vote on another unvoted person. Bold assassin really!
    ~
    ~
  • Noooo

Yeah I figured if Zitto was Assassin he deserved to win by how he was playing so convincingly.

• You would not believe how many times I watched the Vizzini scene from The Princess Bride while writing those posts. Sylandra's bloody dance through the previous game inspired me to see if I could do the same but as the assassin here. I didn't think I could repeat her random accusation approach, but I'm ecstatic to see the same rapid-fire string of lynches came from the Wine in Front of Me arguments. I'm especially glad that I got Lief in my "just throwing names out here, totally probably not the king...unless?" post, I feel like that went a long way to sell it.