The Ascension of Rivius Tarsuhl

EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / BrontaurIndianapolis, IN, USA
(I cut out nearly all of the crowd reactions unless they were in some way relevant to the ceremony, and I corrected a couple typos.)

A hushed silence, unnatural yet peaceful, fills the room as the time of Ascension nears. A few ancestors can be seen present, spiritual forms ephemeral as they await the historic event.

The Moon shines upon the silver branches of the tree surrounding us, lighting the circle with Her grace. The faces of Luna, Selene, and Albion dance upon the rays, granting their presence for the ritual to come.

The sound of hooves approach, rapid galloping echoing through the platform as the White Hart lowers his antlers in respect to the coming Ascendant.

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest says to Rivius, "Welcome, Warden of the Moonhart. Please, come to the center of the Crown of the Moonhart."

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl nods his head quietly and steps forward slowly, entering the centre of the Crown of the Moonhart mother tree.

Entering just past midnight are the remaining spirits of the Serenwilde forest. Wolverine, Jaguar, and Eagle attend together, taking up watch around the edge of the circle. Brother Bull tramples in, making his way across from his sibling, the Hart. With all the Spirits present, along with the commune's living members, the Moon appears to glow with an unnatural brightness. The stillness heightens, as a quietude seems to weigh down everybody's voice.

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest walks to the centre with Rivius, placing both hands upon his shoulders with a reverent bow of his head.

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest says, "Serenwilde! We attend today the honour and empowerment of one of our greatest champions. Rivius Tarsuhl, whose service to the commune stands at heights unmatched in recent time, has been chosen to wear the mantle and burden of Ascension in service of the Grace of the Moonhart. The living representatives of each guild have granted their approval for this. We stand here today to ask the Spirits if they agree."

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest says, "Ascension is the highest honour which we can bestow upon any of this commune. Before we begin, I ask a question. Warden Tarsuhl, what is Ascension to you?"

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl pauses in silence to consider the question, looking about the crowd with softened eyes.

The Spirits turn, their attentions placed upon the man in question.

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest steps back, retreating into the depths of the circle as the ceremony continues.

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl says, "Ascension is, as you said, Marshall, the highest honour that could be bestowed upon on a person. Raising an Ascendant takes the sweat, blood and tears of every single person here, every single person who has walked the Serenwilde both past and present, and worked to keep the forest alive. To even call it an honour feels like an understatement, and the amount of trust...that people could believe you to be capable of bearing such an honour and responsibility wisely...is...overwhelming..."

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl says, "An Ascendant is meant to be a symbol of their commune. A leader, a respectable figure, an example to lead by...and in most ways I don't feel I am worthy for this."

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl says, "But my kin have placed their trust in me and I've sworn to dedicate my life to the forest. If you all believe I can do this, I will give it my all."

Shrouds of dreams manifest, sweeping away reality to reveal Hoaracle, the Forest Dreamer.

The ethereal forms of the Selene, Luna, and Albion step forward, their images glimmering slightly with the faces of Rivius as pup, at present, and as an elderly greymuzzle. "You have lived your life long already," speaks the Mother. "You have fought long with word and deed, growing from an unblooded pup into the man you are today," continues the Maiden. "Do you swear to continue to bear your blade, even as your own fortunes wax and wane with the capricious whimsy of those around you?" Inquires Albion.

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl looks up at Lord Hoaracle, misty-eyed.

Hoaracle, the Forest Dreamer says to Rivius, "Hoom, My small one, it seems you were asked a question."

The corners of Hoaracle's mouth turn up as He grins mischievously.

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl says, "I do swear. By my life."

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl, arm trembling slightly, places his paw upon his plate, over his heart.

In harmony, the Avatars of Mother Moon speak. "Then we grant you our approval, Rivius Tarsuhl." They fade back towards the edge of the circle, to allow another to take their place. Next comes forward the Hart, majestic form towering over the trembling man. No question is asked, but rather he gazes into the Warden's eyes for a long while.

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl gradually ceases his trembling, wishing to appear as stoic and brave as the teachings of the Great Spirit before him had taught him to.

A moment more passes before the Hart kneels down on one foreleg, his antlers dipped towards Rivius in a sign of respect. He rises shortly, turning around to return to the edge of the circle. It is then that the ancestors of the forest start to circle about, a multitude of them gathering about the Warden of the Moonhart. "You have acted with respect and kindness towards us for the entirety of your life. You will continue to bring honour to the forest and all of those around you. We have only a single question. Will you continue to grant us your tales to sing about?"

Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl's ears perk up, taken aback by the question.

Stuttering slightly, Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl says, "I'll do my best."

A grin alights upon the face of the spirit of a young woman standing before Rivius. "We know you will." They all turn away and flit back to the crowd, patiently waiting as the Spirit of Bull now strides towards the center of the circle. He lifts his hand and swings, the blade of his shofa halting just beside the Warden's throat. "To take the mantle of Ascendant requires that one be unflinching in their resolve, it requires that one be ever willing to work, and it requires a mind ever set to improving the self and by extension what surrounds. Do you swear to work in perpetuity to strengthen your body, your spirit, and your resolve?"

Staring The Great Spirit with unwavering resolve, Serenguard Rivius Tarsuhl says, "I swear by my life."

With a snort, Brother Bull withdraws his blade, hands coming together to precede his bow towards Rivius. "Then you have my blessing. Stay strong, Rivius Tarsuhl." The spirit returns to the edge of the circle, resuming his stance warding the edge of the circle. The spirits of Wolverine, Jaguar, and Eagle circle about, drawing a spiral as they come to center around Rivius. "We have known you since you were but a pup, freshly escaped from the Portal of Fate and lost in this world. You do not need to prove a thing to us. You have long made us proud, Rivius." They then withdraw as the Moon's light strengthens once more.

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest steps towards the centre of the circle once more. "Rivius, the spirits have all spoken. Do you have any final words at this time?"

Rivius opens his mouth as if to say something, but pauses.

Rivius shakes his head.

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest says, "Then we must retreat to the Moonhart Mother's trunk."

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest steps towards the opening, waiting for everyone to pass before he climbs down the staircase himself.

(Movement spam.)

Hiriako Myeras, Winter's Tempest says to Rivius, "Are you prepared?"

Rivius nods solemnly.

Rivius steps towards the Moonhart Mother Tree and places his hands on it, sending a shower of silvery leaves cascading around him as the branches grow brittle and dry from the strain. Pale silvery moonlight swirls around him and the air fills with the thrumming of power. The shimmering, ethereal forms of the Great Spirits briefly fill the air around the Moonhart Mother Tree, chief among them Mother Moon and the White Hart, as Rivius is suffused by incredible powers, and rises as a Vernal Ascendant!
A new Ascendant rises! By decree of Marshall Hiriako and with full support of the Moonhart Circle, let it be known that the Free Forest of Serenwilde has this day imbued Rivius with the energies of the Moonhart Mother Tree, raising a Vernal Ascendant!
Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.

Comments

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    Congratulations, Rivius!

• Omigosh! Thank you for the log Everiine! Congrats to Rivius and well done to everyone who participated in the ritual!
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• Now I am tempted to post the annotated version with commentary by the Zayah clan. Some of the riffs we went off on brought me to legitimate giggling behind my keyboard.
  • Sure, make fun of my writing! :p
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Congrats, Rivius! Welcome to the club. Now join us and snoot at all the lowly demigods. 
  • Darn it, and I thought I was next in line for Seren ascendant too. Now what am I going to do!

(P.S. congrats Rivius!)
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Congratulations on joining the lazy essence farmers club!

Well, once you've bought Death Aura, Fear Aura and Destruction >.>

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Congrats!

Now just try not to fall for the Seren Ascendant Curse of Inactivity.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • ...The hell? Was that Bull?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Yep. Didn't want to forget about him!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Sorry to have confused you, Azus.