Announce Post #2964: Reports are Open!

Reports are now open for business!

Reporting System 2.0 has been implemented and is ready to roll. Please refer to HELP REPORTS for more information on how it all works. Remember - we don't want to restrict what you can report too much, but we certainly consider how much time something is going to take to implement into our decision.

The big differences between this version and the previous version is as follows:

1) All reports go to the admin for verdict - no more thresholds to meet.
2) Players can comment and see others comments in the Consider Stage. The writer can also edit the problem and solutions at this stage. Use this to develop solutions that fix the problem statements!
3) Players can vote and comment once in the Pending phase. Comments and votes are hidden from all but the admin at this point.
4) You must vote in order to comment in the Pending stage.
5) Reports will be either Accepted, Rejected or put on Hold, the first two are self-explanatory, but Hold means that we like the idea but do not want to devote time to implementing it. We won't be giving timeframes on when Hold things will be implemented, so please don't ask.

A few other quality of life issues were also addressed such as report pagination, the ability to delete draft reports and the ability to move a report from the consider stage back to draft stage. One other major change is that all draft reports will be automatically deleted after 255 days (~8.5 months).

Lastly, remember to be courteous and respectful to your fellow players on these reports. There will certainly be disagreements, but you can state those disagreements without being insulting or aggressive.

Have at it!

Comments

• As a suggestion, would it be possible to add a command for the new reports that shows any sort of change - new comments, updated problems/solutions, change in report status - listed in reverse chronological order?

I really enjoy following the discussion on some of the reports (especially the ones I have no familiarity with), but find it pretty difficult to track what is new when I log back in based solely on the comment counters. And I don't particularly want to subscribe to every single report and be spammed with messages/emails. I submitted this as an IDEA, but thought I'd add here in case the other avenue doesn't get seen!

Also, I'd be curious whether the new approach seems to be working better? I'm not sure I'm seeing many adjustments at the consider stage - it seems like a lot of the comments are assuming they are just voting for or against a solution already.
  • edited October 2019
    I can probably add a subscriber notification for when a report is changed (you can subscribe to reports via REPORT <#> SUBSCRIBE). 

It's too soon to say if it's working better - as always it takes a bit to get used to a new system, so while a lot of them are just voicing agreement at this point, we do get some adjustments and changes based on comments, so that's good.
  • edited October 2019
    Good to know!  :)

And that's fine - I don't think it's worth adding something to the existing subscribe syntax. If I am that keen I can already subscribe to everything and just find a way to parse the messages/emails.

Edit: Oh! What about just showing the datetime of comments/reports in the basic REPORT <x> printout, if anything else is a bit too much? Then if I want to code something client-side it would be a lot easier.
  • I can probably add the date of the comment - I'll look into that.

As a note - Today is the last day to submit reports for Consideration. Everyone moves to Pending at the weave tomorrow.
  • I don't think I understand comments under the different stages. I bugged not being able to add a new comment after voting, but now I'm thinking maybe I just don't get the system.

I was kind of assuming that when the report when into Pending, all the Consideration comments would be still be visible (maybe even de-anonymised), and only the Pending vote comments would be hidden. But maybe comments aren't linked to a particular stage - so if I commented during consideration stage I shouldn't comment again after voting?
    1. Are comments added at different stages flagged as such? So you can comment many times in Consideration stage, but once only after voting in Pending stage?
    2. Do reports ever move to a stage where the comments are no longer anonymous to players? I assume the admin can always see who the comments are from at every stage.
    3. Do reports ever move to a stage where it is possible to see who the author is?
    4. Do reports ever move to a stage where it is possible to see who voted and how they voted?
    It's not that I'm worried about anonymity myself (I'm pretty sure both my reports and comments are obvious), but it would still be good to know in advance.

• I don't think I understand comments under the different stages. I bugged not being able to add a new comment after voting, but now I'm thinking maybe I just don't get the system.

I was kind of assuming that when the report when into Pending, all the Consideration comments would be still be visible (maybe even de-anonymised), and only the Pending vote comments would be hidden. But maybe comments aren't linked to a particular stage - so if I commented during consideration stage I shouldn't comment again after voting?
    1. Are comments added at different stages flagged as such? So you can comment many times in Consideration stage, but once only after voting in Pending stage?
    2. Do reports ever move to a stage where the comments are no longer anonymous to players? I assume the admin can always see who the comments are from at every stage.
    3. Do reports ever move to a stage where it is possible to see who the author is?
    4. Do reports ever move to a stage where it is possible to see who voted and how they voted?
    It's not that I'm worried about anonymity myself (I'm pretty sure both my reports and comments are obvious), but it would still be good to know in advance.

The anonymous parts are well intended. Some people would vote a specific way just because of who wrote it (or who is voting for it). Players are obviously welcome to say if they are a report writer, and players are welcome to say among themselves how they voted, but all that will not be directly showed on reports.

Consideration phase, and the comments made there, are meant to go away as the report goes into Pending. Because a report can change largely (more so in cases where it is a report on non-skills), the comments may no longer be relevant to the report or its solutions.
  • One thing I'm not sure is intended: If you commented on a post during the Consideration stage, you cannot comment on it during the Pending stage. This may be important because comments made during the first stage are intended for the writer to re-consider their report, and comments made during the Pending are meant (more) for Orael/Ianir. At least, that's how I take the system.
  • edited October 2019
    Not being able to comment on pending if you commented during the consideration phase is a bug. I'm working on it right now. Everyone should be able to comment on the Pending phase once regardless of commenting on the consideration phase.

As far as the anonymity - there isn't a stage where that goes away. We're trying to put the focus on the content of the report rather than the person who wrote the report.
  • Only 2 more days to vote on reports, if you haven't done so, now is the time to sort through and vote on them!
  • Report decisions are in, but I am taking a vacation starting right about now. 

I'll get on coding these in once I return (which will be about a week)