Human Newbs

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
edited October 2019 in Ideas
I understand the rationale for having newbies get into the game for a little while before having to choose their race, but I find it super weird that the Portal of Fate expels them all as humans. Like, why does this extremely significant magical gateway turn all divine shards that pass through it into a race that is not native to Lusternia? Here's my proposal:

- create a new pseudorace that newbies emerge as, called a Portal Flux or Loomspawn something else sufficiently cool/unpleasant
- this race will have no inherent abilities or perks, and can't advance past level 30
- the help file will describe these as explicitly formless or neutrally star-shaped, making it clear that their characteristics are indistinct
- as long as they're in this form, newbies will be periodically reminded to choose a proper race, which they can do so in the normal manner
- if they hit level 30, they either get big flashing warnings that they need to choose a race in order to get any more XP, or at that point they congeal into an ordinary human
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Interesting concept.  Not sure how feasible, but makes a fair bit of sense.  I think just having it congeal them to human at 30 instead of blocking them from progression makes more sense, leave it optional.
  • What about having them come out as the preferred race for their org (just to simplify things from an implementation stand point)?
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited October 2019
    Ghibli said:
    What about having them come out as the preferred race for their org (just to simplify things from an implementation stand point)?
    Could be tricky for orgs like Halli which have multiple races that make sense (lucidian/trill).

Seconding it would be nice for humans not to be the Portal default, though!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I 100% support a non-specific, lore-backed starter race, but they would still be able to choose a race before hitting 30 as they currently can, right? I also agree that defaulting to human at 30 instead of blocking progression is a better option.

Great idea, @Daraius !

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yep, they would be able to (and encouraged to) pick a race before hitting 30, and they'd still get to reincarnate as often as they want in that period.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • 100% on board, great idea. 
    ‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
    It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

• Gurashi said:
    100% on board, great idea. 

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I hate that choosing your race isn't a part of the intro anymore. Having them automatically pop out as human doesn't make any sense. No matter what they pop out as, they get a free reincarnation anyway, so having them choose beforehand doesn't hamper them.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • It's good to spread out decisions as much as possible, instead of hitting new players with a big raft of mandatory choices all at once. Even if you can freely change, it's a bit of an overload to have before you even log into the game.