Six Ages Mafia

PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
Welcome to Six Ages Mafia! All art is lovingly stolen from Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind. There may be mild visual spoilers. Reader discretion is advised. Mafia fluff is based on the game, but not taken directly from it, so spoilers should be mild. No deep lore is necessary, but there is a wiki if you wanna look at it.

httpsvignettewikianocookienetsixagesimages550ElmalGuardsSunpathpngrevisionlatestcb20181112144558

The Rules:

These are largely pillaged from mafia games back in the days of the godtime, with some additions.

Remember the basic rules: The town wants to eliminate all scum players. The scum players want to kill other players until they have half of the votes. Phases alternate between day and night. Players can vote one player out of the game each day, or vote not to eliminate anyone. Players use powers are night, and those powers include the scum being able to kill somebody!

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. VOTE Portius)

2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Anything that happens after a final vote will not happen, including unvotes to bring the target below the minimum threshold, unless a power explicitly allows this.

3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, you are not allowed to post in the thread during the day phase unless your role explicitly allows this.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)

9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.

10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.

11. The game will end when either the town or the mafia have reached their victory condition.
12. Dayphases will last no longer than 72 hours. If three days go by without a lynch, the Nightphase will immediately begin.
13. Nightphases will last no longer than 24 hours. If night actions are not delivered at the end of the night phase, it will be read as no action.

14. Resist the urge to tag people who are dead.
-------------

Your people, the Riders, have done well for the past few years, but the omens speak of danger. Some say that the Rams are coming from the south, while others say that the Wheels mean to put you all in chains. Many of the scattered Rider clans have sent their nobles to a great council, that they may find a way to deal with the thread.

Now, many of those nobles are dead, murdered in their sleep. Perhaps the killers are still among you? Best to consider matters carefully!
Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited November 2019
    Here there be players!

1. Sylandra
    2. Zitto
    3. Lief
    4. Carakhan
    5. Merlose
    6. Ayisdra Lynched D1. Ram, Killer/Maleblocker
    7. Mysrai
    It is now DAY ONE. The day end on Thursday, Nov 21st, at 2PM.
  • My first proper Mafia game with everyone, hello!

Let's figure out who is murdering the nobles of our council before we ourselves are murdered!
    Amazing beautiful stunning avatar by Gurashi!
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."
  • Hello!

As a newcomer to "proper Mafia", what are your thoughts on day one lynches?
    Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • Hello everyone.

I have learned my lesson.
    Vote Sylandra

• Mine, @Carakhan?

I have two minds for it from stalking some previous games. I lean toward being cautious and seeing what we can learn from N1 actions by who died, who is still alive, and what actions if any people took.

On the other hand, we could all claim right away and try to figure out who to lynch from there...but that's a risk too, if we have any valuable village roles we don't want to reveal.

I'm happy to lean on others, though, if my impressions are wrong or if there is a reason to blindly lynch? I lean toward being incredibly uncomfortable with a blind lynch though, since we stand to lose a lot unless we manage to learn something big D1.
    ~
    A gentle breeze ruffles your wings and whispers in your ears, as if for you alone, "Dragonfly's words shine... seeds, sown and tended, inspire... a forest harvest."
    ~
    Maylea reaches out, Her fingers poised in midair. "Now you are of Me, even more than you were before." Her golden and azure eyes glitter. "Walk well, Eldin. Shed glory in My name, and bring life to the lifeless."

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ayisdra said:
    Hello everyone.

I have learned my lesson.
    Vote Sylandra

You guys have all the luck. Who am I supposed to randomly vote day one? Where is my Sylandra scapegoat?! :’(

(Also welcome @Mysrai and @Merlose to our game of murder and mischief, excited to have more mafia members!)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Maybe if you weren't so good at mafia, Sylandra, you wouldn't be a threat.

If you are mafia, you have to be eliminated quickly.
    If you are town, I think the threat of you being a mafia is a greater risk.
    Unless you’re a mafia trying to off a strong town player. Hm, hm, hm.

Anyway, flavor of this game is interesting. Is anyone familiar?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    My wife insisted that I give you a wiki link. The myths page is probably the most fun.
  • My vague understanding of forum mafia's meta from observation in the past is that to say too little or too much will paint a target on my back, but I do have to support looking at Sylandra's actions very closely as well as those who target her. It also pays to speculate on the setup, so let me try my hand at that!

In a game of seven, it is highly likely that there will be two members of the "mafia", or at least two killing roles in one mafia and one "insane town". Given that Portius gave us two factions to work with in his opening blurb, he is either hinting at the latter, he has given a safe claim to members of the mafia to throw us off the trail, or he simply delights in giving us far too much to look at in an attempt to confuse us. So my statement is that a 1/3 shot at lynching a member of the mafia/villains is not enough to convince me to throw a vote at random (I am innocent, so 2/6 remaining must be bad. That is how I got 1/3).

I do think it would be hilarious if Ayisdra pointed a finger so early at Sylandra to throw us off of the trail of his scummy mafia partner. I'm watching the two of you...
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
    Portius said:
    My wife insisted that I give you a wiki link. The myths page is probably the most fun.
    Thanks, Port! I'll have to give these a read.

Re: @Ayisdra and his accusations, I will admit I always aggressively play to win. But! Unlike someone who isn’t fully participating, you can find patterns and motives in someone who is actively trying to achieve their win condition.

Silent or tight-lipped people, on the other hand, don’t offer anything to the game and fly under the radar. Which is one way that sneaky scum can win!

So during the early game, my strategy is generally to prod quiet people, because I’d rather interpret what active people are doing than guess what quiet people are thinking.

And speaking of, I think the only people who haven’t checked in so far are @Zitto and @Merlose.
    Daraius said:
  • Hi, checking in. Good evening, let's figure out who is killing our nobles.

The rumor mill seems to point squarely at @Sylandra as being prime for the first target, buut despite @Ayisdra jumping straight to it, I think it's best to avoid piling on straight away. At least until everyone else is accounted for.

I'll keep watch over here, and see what stirs up.

• I have an idle curiosity, just because of a fun addition on my sheet, did anyone else explicitly receive their character's gender? I'm wondering if there might be a power or two directly related to that. I'm also curious whether or not Portius continued his trend of giving at least a one-shot power to everyone, or if there will actually be vanilla roles to start with.
  • I received my gender too! I am cautious about revealing it, though, for exactly your reasons - I imagine we have all received a gender with our character role, and some people might have abilities pertaining to that.

I'm with @Merlose and think I feel most comfortable waiting to lynch today. Do we vote none to make that stance official?

Just keeping track of people posting in general, everyone has checked in at least once besides @Zitto, correct?
    ~
    ~
  • Last time we had seven people, it was one mafia, one survivor, and five town.

The case for a day one lynch: If we assume five-person town, then we can afford three town deaths before we either lose, or are in Lylo. If we lynch no one day one, then two of those three town deaths are night deaths, meaning the mafia has (almost) full control over who dies. If, however, we lynch today, 1/3 odds are still better than a doctor's odds of saving a townie tonight.

vote: @Zitto

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
    Zitto-1(Carakhan)
  • @Portius Are you intentionally not saying it takes X to lynch or just forgetting to leave it off?
    Forgot to put it in the copy/paste message.

With 7 Riders alive, it takes 4 votes to lynch!

VOTES
    Sylandra-1(Ayisdra)
    Zitto-1(Carakhan)

• Honestly, I'll vote for @Zitto if he doesn't post by tomorrow afternoon, too.

A silent Zitto makes me antsy.
    ~
    ~
    My role also included gender! Very curious.

Super weird that @Zitto hasn’t posted yet, because he’s usually mafia addicted and ready to post up a storm. I’ll second I’m down for voting him if he doesn’t post in the next 24 hours, though.
    Daraius said:
  • I'm suspecting we did all get gendered roles. Mine certainly was.

Definitely worried about the lack of @Zitto today. Speak now, or forever... well, be dead, probably.
  • Sorry about that. I had some RL issues that kept me away from the start of the game. I share the strong sentiment of "Lynch Early, Lynch Often" with Sylandra and Carakhan. I can confirm that I also received gender information with my role. I kind of dropped the ball by not being here, so I am willing to reveal but don't think it is to the advantage of the town for me to do so. I am inclined to the believe that in typical Portius tradition, nobody started this game vanilla, though most of our powers are in some way limited. I will

VOTE MYSRAI

because lynch squimishness disgusts me (and more importantly, because such expressed reluctance is a good way to later lean on a wagon without the damning evidence of having committed to it.)
  • I believe the appropriate phrase is 'OMGUS'. However, that is a very good reason and I can't blame a more aggressive player for using it as a reason to press a more...temperate player such as myself.

But I can say I intended to vote for you @Zitto if we got to late tonight and you hadn't responded. Now that you have, though, I'm going to Vote: Carakhan. It's reasonable to vote out someone entirely silent, but we'd not even reached 2/3 of our time when she chose to.

I'll likely unvote when she does (as soon as I can at work) and try to think of another good question in the meantime, because day one is clearly not my strong point!
    Hey @Portius - Didn’t @Lief also vote none? Didn’t see it in the vote total.

If we want to vote someone for not being on board with lynching, seems to me like someone voting for none fits the ticket more than someone just talking about it. (But tbf, the vote wasn’t counted on the tally.)
    Daraius said:
  • I did!

I still don't feel comfortable with a D1 lynch, since I think an informed death is better than a blind one, but Carakhan did make some compelling points that made me comfortable with lynching someone quiet (welcome to the game Zitto!) 

Honestly, with current behavior, the person I'd be most comfortable voting for now is Ayisdra. "Lynch Sylandra" is an easy joke to hide behind to start spilling blood early. But we are at a 4 way tie with votes and need to pile on behind someone (or unvote but that's always tough to do), and getting close to D1's end if we want to roll with Carakhan's logic and take the lynching into our own hands.

Is 2PM GMT or another time zone? I definitely want to keep an eye on time.
    ~
    ~
  • Lief said:
    I did!

I still don't feel comfortable with a D1 lynch, since I think an informed death is better than a blind one, but Carakhan did make some compelling points that made me comfortable with lynching someone quiet (welcome to the game Zitto!) 

Honestly, with current behavior, the person I'd be most comfortable voting for now is Ayisdra. "Lynch Sylandra" is an easy joke to hide behind to start spilling blood early. But we are at a 4 way tie with votes and need to pile on behind someone (or unvote but that's always tough to do), and getting close to D1's end if we want to roll with Carakhan's logic and take the lynching into our own hands.

I'm still completely serious about my vote despite what it may seem. I believe that if Sylandra is mafia that she is too dangerous to be left alive. If she is town, I think the benefits of her being town don't outweigh the risks of her being mafia. Just look at how many jokes come after the games about how Sylandra should always be our first lynch. People always kick themselves for not doing it afterwards.
  • Alright, so, looking over the playing field, I tend to agree with @Carakhan that given the number of players, not doing a day one lynch means handing the controls to the enemy. On the other hand, it's an easy thing for a scum player to put out there, since they know who they need to kill, and that would essentially get them two kills before anyone can move.

I've certainly been on the "vote slyandra" joke train prior to the start of this, but now that we're playing for keeps it's a flimsy joke to go with. I assume that Portius assigns roles more or less randomly (I think he said as much in an earlier game) so she has as much chance of being town as anyone else. Sylandra's gift is that she's dangerous to whatever side she's not on, but unlike @Ayisdra I don't think the 'risk' of her being mafia means she's an automatic lynch.

I'd like to see if @Ayisdra wants to refine his position now that more things have happened and been said.

I'm also very skeptical of @Zitto at this point. He goes after @Mysrai because of "lynch squeamishness" but several people had been reluctant to vote for various reasons, including @Lief who actually voted none. So why go after them? Just because he's late doesn't mean he's town.

We've still got a few hours before our dead line so I'll hold my vote for just a little longer.
  • Welcome, Zitto, and

unvote

for now. I think I'm most inclined to hop on the Mysrai train, though will hold off for now to avoid a pile-on. Combination OMGUS and because I find the switch from "don't want to day one lynch" to voting for me... odd, and the logic used non-compelling.

It's possible that gender will come into play from somebody's powers, or it might be significant if we have events, given the style of the original game (which the wiki is making me want to try playing)

I wonder if it's something that should discourage us from mass claiming, which otherwise is pretty tempting in a game that's likely to be of such short duration, with a lot of one-shot powers.