Aethertraders!

Comments

• Some questions:

How exactly does refining with gold work? Does it always come with the weight to do a full level (ie, 100 comms worth), or does it work off of the lowest possible comm cost for the item?

This might make cooking somewhat worthwhile, as unless we're okay to start making cooking designs using 100+ commodities then it will always take far too much time/power refining to be engaging otherwise. If you spend 10,000 gold to get the exact same effect as adding in another 26 commodity platter to the first, it's pointless.

And I suppose that's the other question, more for the @Charites - we are used to working against minimum comm requirements. Would we be discouraged against creating new designs intended to use as many commodities as possible, for the sake of efficiency?

• Could get a new cooking recipe - PotLuck. Just meant as a commodity dump and satiation value is based on how many comms were used to make it. Cannot be poisoned, fortified, etc just there for valuation or the truly gluttonous foodies.
  • Steingrim said:
    @Estarra

If the item isn't going to change its look, can we get the item's noun to include its type, e.g. 'unique'?

Sorry, I missed something. What item are you talking about?
  • Estarra said:
    Steingrim said:
    @Estarra

If the item isn't going to change its look, can we get the item's noun to include its type, e.g. 'unique'?

Sorry, I missed something. What item are you talking about?
    I think he's asking if an item's current valuation can also function as a noun for said item.
  • Ah, no, I don't believe that's possible.
    Maybe at some point in the future we can create an artifact that acts as a storage container to put refined items in and you can trade directly from the container?
  • I answered some questions for myself, might as well share the results:

Refining with gold does, indeed, seem to upgrade by a full tier of valuation each time, and so comes out valued at 100 unspecified commodities for 100 sovereigns each. Notably, item duration also extends while doing this, so this functionality is not lost relative to using more commodities via item fusion.

• I like aethertraders but am not certain about the salt refining mechanic.

Salt becomes very overpriced. I hear it is sold at a few thousands per now. Most platters need salt as a commodity to be crafted. So most platters become overpriced before even being refined for the thing which makes them even more overpriced and rare.

We feed inexpensive sugary cake to our newbies who need to eat in order to become seasoned players, eventually? Protective salt becomes a rare item too? This seems to affect some other aspects of the game negatively.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Estarra said:
    Ah, no, I don't believe that's possible.
    Maybe at some point in the future we can create an artifact that acts as a storage container to put refined items in and you can trade directly from the container?
    I don't personally see a problem or need for this, tbh. The decay time on higher level refined items is already astronomical. I personally just put the items in my pack and make an alias to remove the item and trade for it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • So now that this has been in for a month, how do people feel about it? I've personally pretty much ignored it because I don't have any bixes, can't track (and have rubbish celerity), and don't have a trade skill that makes something relevant. Two of those can be solved by keeping buttons on hand and buying finished goods from someone else, but the third remains trouble as long as trades are competitive.
    If admins have been keeping statistics on them, how's the distribution look, both among individuals and among trades? Are you happy with the goop influx rate and how it's spread out?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I already have over 100k goop so my interest in this whole thing has been about 0.  I do get the impression that it tends to be the same few people who get the trades, though, so I'd be curious how that actually plays out in practice.
  • Tried it once, didn't like it.

Too much competition from people who've done it a few times and have basically triggered it for trade in.
  • edited May 2019
    I ignore aether trader markettells because I don't have the artifacts or the money to get there in time. The only thing this did for me (from my perspective) was increase the salt prices so much so that I'm working for salt for a person instead of gold.
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Kalnid said:
    So now that this has been in for a month, how do people feel about it? 
    I like having a way to use comms to get goop consumables without spending goop at all. Having piles of buttons feels nice and I'd rather keep tracking after them and earning more over time than trying to acquire bubblixes.

I have less incentive to pick up tailoring/cooking trades, though, and jewelry is just more worthwhile in every way and less exhausting to refine.

I also haven't bothered with converting any of the items into goop yet, but the option is nice to have on hand.

I usually only get one trade every few IG months, though, due to limited interest or inability to make a trade - whether it being I don't have something to trade with (more common with cooking/tailoring) or constantly beat to the punch by someone else (the problem with jewellery). This makes me very picky about when I'll bother to try, so my participation rate is lower than it sensibly could be as a result.

I could take it or leave it as is. Nice when it works out my way, not worth paying attention to otherwise.

Also: config aethertraders off should also remove their chatter from your market history, and not just gag their announcements. I miss having a market history uncluttered by mob traders.

• I've tried to do the aethertraders, but there are some fast folks out there who are constantly doing this. Props to them. I've pretty much written off aethertrading because the amount of time/energy going into making it, then hoping and praying you make it in time. So sadly, I ignore this aspect. Could we revamp it so its not the same person getting it over and over? Maybe you can only do it once every 3 hours or something.

• Not that there aren't a ton of issue here, but if your issue is not having a trade to do this, consider getting someone to make you an item and you give them a cut from the gnomes.
  • Some of the original ideas for this were to limit how many times you could trade in a game month, or the trader going once per person, per spawn. Even if it was a per person deal, you could still incentivize showing up quickly. Make the first person the full payout (or even slightly increased), second person a 75% (or full if first place is buffed), everyone else gets 50% (or 75% if first is buffed). That way, even if you're slow on it, you're still getting something of value in return for the effort, and more than likely will drive up the usage of this mechanic.
  • Makai said:
    Some of the original ideas for this were to limit how many times you could trade in a game month, or the trader going once per person, per spawn. Even if it was a per person deal, you could still incentivize showing up quickly. Make the first person the full payout (or even slightly increased), second person a 75% (or full if first place is buffed), everyone else gets 50% (or 75% if first is buffed). That way, even if you're slow on it, you're still getting something of value in return for the effort, and more than likely will drive up the usage of this mechanic.
    Why would you want to do that under such a system?
  • I'm confused, what part are you questioning? The part where people thought it should be limited or more open? Or my suggestion that could be a method of leaving it more open?
  • I think the goop you get for cashing in the buttons should be bound
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The few times I tried I didn't make it in time and so I gave it up as pointless, and I have most of the bixes for quick travel and all the trades under my belt. 

• Lavinya said:
    The few times I tried I didn't make it in time and so I gave it up as pointless, and I have most of the bixes for quick travel and all the trades under my belt. 

You need to sit in the open and trigger the lines to have a chance of getting there and getting your trade in before someone else.
    Just does not seem appealing to me...
  • I chalked this whole system up as a failure the moment it was announced, when it became clear that it was going to be another exclusive club membership thing. Unsurprised tbh.
    WHY WE FIGHT
    Accountability is necessary.
  • I haven't even tried yet. I understand it, but I also see others I play with saying the same things - oh, this person or that person beat me there. Same two people, almost all the time. I want to like it, I just don't have the energy to invest in something that's just going to frustrate me 99% of the time.

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• I've only been 'back' on Lusternia for three days, so please do forgive me if I speak out of turn, but how has this system managed to survive in game for a full year?

I turned in an item yesterday that cost 2000 gold to produce, and returned 76 redlollipop candy. This would have normally cost 5,700 goop to produce, and will gives me 76 minutes of 5/5 balance during PvP fights or ascension contests. I am probably going to hate myself for addressing it so publically without having a chance to properly take advantage, but these rewards are exceedingly generous and have probably ruined competitive game balance for years.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Are people actually using aether goods for their bonuses and not immediately breaking them down into goop and gold? 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    Are people actually using aether goods for their bonuses and not immediately breaking them down into goop and gold? 
    My first ever aethertrade I didn’t know it was licorice candy that gave goop and traded my platter in for wax lips. I’ve been using those waxlips for astral hunts and things! 
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Well anything gives goop if you break it down. Just some are a bit more valuable than others. But I hear you. I guess it never occurred to me that the buffs from candies could be unbalancing, since I only ever use the lollies to generate absurd amounts of goop. But yeah, the rewards are bonkers.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Daraius said:
    But yeah, the rewards are bonkers.

• Daraius said:
    I never break buttons at this point because I find it more beneficial to share them - albeit to help other people make trades so they can break things into goop. Otherwise I use mint candy and rainbow scarves for giggles, but not much else.