Pretty Parrot Mafia!

PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
edited July 2020 in Mafia Hideout
Welcome to PRETTY PARROT MAFIA, a thinly veiled excuse for sharing cute birb pics.

The Rules:

These are largely pillaged from old mafia games, with some additions. I gleefully stole them from players past (Sylandra, mostly, but I dunno if she originated the list) and take minimal credit. Note that our night phases are longer than in some past games.

Remember the basic rules: The town wants to eliminate all scum players. The scum players want to eliminate other players until they have half of the votes. Phases alternate between day and night. Players can vote one player out of the game each day, or vote not to eliminate anyone. Players use powers are night, and those powers include the scum being able to eliminate somebody!

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count. (ex. VOTE Portius)

2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Anything that happens after a final vote will not happen, including unvotes to bring the target below the minimum threshold, unless a power explicitly allows this.

3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, you are not allowed to post in the thread during the day phase unless your role explicitly allows this.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)

9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.

10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.

11. The game will end when either the town or the mafia have reached their victory condition.
12. Dayphases will last no longer than 72 hours. If three days go by without a lynch, the Nightphase will immediately begin.
13. Nightphases will last no longer than 48 hours. If night actions are not delivered at the end of the night phase, it will be read as no action.

14. Resist the urge to tag people who are dead.

The Strong Suggestions:
1. Embrace the spirit of cute! Share cute images! Say cute things to each other! Use the most passive aggressive affirmations you can imagine to accuse each other!
2. Praise my wife for coming up with this game.
-------------

The Portly Parrot welcomes you to the game!

"Welcome back! It's time for another adorable game. After all, we need these reality shows to get that sweet sweet conservation money. Here's the deal. You're all going to go in for a photoshoot, but we need to pick the order! But beware, for for a few of you have been given the special power to send parrots out for their pictures at night, without a vote! Can identify them before the last people head out for their pictures? Let's find out!"
Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited July 2020
    The Rooster Roster:

1. Coraline
    2. Zitto Doctor, eliminated N3
    3. Luce Absorber, eliminated N1
    4. Mysrai
    5. Shaddus Recharger, eliminated D2
    6. Nelras, HORRIBLE GOOSE. Redirector, eliminated D3
    7. Merlose Serial Killer, eliminated D1
    8. Sapphira HORRIBLE GOOSE, Neighborizer, eliminated D4
    9. Carakhan
    10. Thax Traffic Analyst, eliminated N2
    Let the games begin! It is DAY ONE. The day ends at 6PM, EST, on July 4th, or after a vote goes through!
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Who's a pretty bird then?
  • Yes, hello! It is daytime and this pretty parrot is awake!!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Luce said:
    Who's a pretty bird then?

It's definitely me!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I may not be the prettiest birb, but I am very likely the biggest. I am also a bird of action, and normally a notorious fan of the day one lynch.

With 10 players, we have 2 or 3 scum. If I am doing my math right and we have 3 scum, we can afford to mislynch twice ( 7 townies, 2 losses to night kills, 2 mislynches) and have our choice of lynching either D1 and D2 or D2 and D3 before we potentially lose. If we have 2 scum, we can afford to mislynch 3 times (8 townies, 3 losses to night kills, 3 mislynches). In both cases we get an extra day of deliberation if we don't day one lynch, so there's no statistical advantage to lynching on day one. That said, I am extremely loath to just waste a day without some discussion and vote trains to analyze, so I'm still a fan of at least exploring a day one lynch.

I'm going to start with the Many-Hands, or the Urchin in Ivory, or whatever you're called now, to provoke a little day one discussion.

VOTE @MYSRAI
  • Pretty birb here, practicing my best poses.

Eclectus parrot

I suspect we are looking at a 3 scum game, possibly a 2-1-7 setup. In the interest of exploratory voting
    vote: @Thax
    Are they letting mechanical birbs in now?
    Art by the multitalented Aonia
  • I cannot be arsed to actually find a picture of a pretty bird without scrolling through miles of discord and painstakingly selecting the prettiest, most gorgeous bird to represent me. So imagine that I will later return much better armed. As your resident Thousand-Winged, I flutter angrily at the concept of being day one lynched, and the only reasonable response is an OMGUS vote back. So OMG. US.

Vote: @Zitto

Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
    Let the games begin! It is DAY ONE. The day ends at 6PM, EST, on July 4th, or after a vote goes through!

VOTES
    Mysrai 1-Zitto
    Thax 1-Carakhan
    Zitto 1-Mysrai
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi

This getting good.
  • Ok, I just woke up. Let's see what is going on here. 

So a day start and a bunch of random votes. Nothing new there. Wait, actual discussion of the game, on day 1?

I would like to discuss Zitto's analysis a little. While theoretically true while taking no other setup elements into account, I feel as if relying on having the number of lynches to spare that is provided may be somewhat risky. Perhaps this is because I come from another meta, and I will read back over some old games here later to check this, but I would be considering the existence of a SK in a ten player game with only two scum. Beyond that, there is also always the possibility of vigilantes, or other such 'friendly' folk who like to take pictures of unsuspecting parrots while they sleep.

I will vote later, once I have had a chance to catch up on some old games. If anyone has any input on the question of what is meta for these forums, I would greatly appreciate it. I would throw a warning vote at Zitto, but it would appear that Mysrai already has that covered and, honestly, discussion is good.
  • While it is super late for me, I would like to chime in before bed in that i think Portius can be quite devious in his mafia games duplicitous simplicity. One-shot powers, swapping win conditions, and more that I've seen from watching (and my flawless win steak) means that he could easily throw in a wild card like a serial killer while making the rest appear normal. 

This is obviously just more speculation, but I am tentatively agreeing with Nelras that it could be worth factoring in. A one-shot town vigilante or SK would be just the right amount of chaos for a game this size. 
  • For clarification, that is me thinking either vigilante or SK would be one-shot, if included. Pesky no edits. 
  • Oh, and last post for the night (promise!)

• Carakhan said:

I suspect we are looking at a 3 scum game, possibly a 2-1-7 setup. In the interest of exploratory voting
    I AM THE GRANDEST AND PRETTIEST PARROT IN THE LAND!

I'm generally not a fan of day 1 voting, but I also know that claiming you're against day 1 voting is a great way to get yourself voted out on day 1. So for this one post I'll start with the forum RP and Vote: Shaddus since he's behind on his supplication of Me. 

Just a heads up, I have a bizarre schedule and may not respond during normal hours. 

VOTES
    Mysrai 1-Zitto
    Thax 1-Carakhan
    Zitto 1-Mysrai
    Shaddus 1-Thax
    Thax said:
    Carakhan said:

I AM THE GRANDEST AND PRETTIEST PARROT IN THE LAND!

I'm generally not a fan of day 1 voting, but I also know that claiming you're against day 1 voting is a great way to get yourself voted out on day 1. So for this one post I'll start with the forum RP and Vote: Shaddus since he's behind on his supplication of Me. 

Just a heads up, I have a bizarre schedule and may not respond during normal hours. 
    You wot m8?

Now see here, you clinking, clanking, clattering collection of caliginous junk. I didn't sign up to serve you or be in this Mafia because you need lipservice. I'm smarter than you, I'm prettier than you, and darn it, I deserve respect. And maybe a cuttlebone. 

VOTE:THAX

Also, All hail Portius' wife!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • @Shaddus You, grander than I? Impossible! Do parakeets count as real parrots!

• As it turns out, a Google search says yes...parakeets ARE real parrots. I retract my statement and apologize to any parakeets I may have offended with my thoughtless implications.

VOTES
    Mysrai 1-Zitto
    Thax 2-Carakhan, Shaddus
    Zitto 1-Mysrai
    Shaddus 1-Thax
    Thax said:

As it turns out, a Google search says yes...parakeets ARE real parrots. I retract my statement and apologize to any parakeets I may have offended with my thoughtless implications.

....those are lovebirds, you undereducated bird! We are a gorgeous genus of parrots, and you are nothing but a featherless, skeletal raptorthing!
  • All hail Portius' wife, yes yes. Who I imagine to be the prettiest parrot of all, silently judging our squabbles and giving a side-eye something like this.

• I really want to vote for Thax, given that I did post a parakeet in my opening post.
    Parakeets are parrots.

That would be bandwagoning at this point though, not to mention leaving people out of the fun which we must never do. So here we go.
    OMGUS Thax, but Vote Carakhan for the time being.
    Why Carakhan? It is a random vote, and she seems a bit fishy to me. So did the parrot she posted in the signup thread, for that matter.
    edited July 2020

VOTES
    Mysrai 1-Zitto
    Thax 2-Carakhan, Shaddus
    Zitto 1-Mysrai
    Shaddus 1-Thax
    Carakhan 1-Nelras

EDIT: Corrected votes.
  • Carkhan 1-Luce 

@Portius Please could you confirm whether this is a mistake as I just voted for Carakhan.

If this is not a mistake, I do not know what role would cause it - particularly not on day 1.
    With that said, if it is not a mistake then we need to keep an eye on the vote tallies.
    Error, fixed, sorry, this is accurate:

VOTES
    Mysrai 1-Zitto
    Thax 2-Carakhan, Shaddus
    Zitto 1-Mysrai
    Shaddus 1-Thax
    Carakhan 1-Nelras
  • Fear not, my pretties! For this pretty parrot has written up a plan!

According to my super intelligent plan, we should all VOTE None!!
     See? I am so smart!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.

VOTES
    Mysrai 1-Zitto
    Thax 2-Carakhan, Shaddus
    Zitto 1-Mysrai
    Shaddus 1-Thax
    Carakhan 1-Nelras
    None 1-Coraline
  • I am moved by the arguments of @Nelras and @Mysrai; a Serial Killer is a real possibility. Multiple potential night kills puts more pressure on us to use our days effectively. That said, I can't recall Portius ever using one. I need to check his Roman game to be sure, though. I think it is more likely we're all balanced with a single single-use power each, plus the mafia's communal night-kill power.

I dislike squeamishness and voting none wastes an opportunity for discussion reduces the material to analyze later. I am revoking my "get the ball rolling" vote

UNVOTE @Mysrai

And casting a serious vote based on attempting to limit discussion

VOTE @Coraline