The Celestian Rat

AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
edited July 2020 in Event Scrolls
Prelude to this little thing, we had a rat reset to the pool of stars probably for as long as I can remember. Aeldra keeps talking about a decade, because am not sure how long it has been there, but reality probably is before I returned to playing. On a hunch, I  went to Neran (the denizen in celest that takes the dead vermin) and struck up a conversation. Over the course of this little thing, @Gabe , @Ashira and @Kaizynne joined us, leading to as gabe has put it "the most RP we ever got out of a rat.".  Raves to all the participates in front and behind the scenes and thanks to the admin who promptly grabbed the bone that I threw them. <3

It was a fun little tidbit:

// killing the rat at the pool and tracking to the sanitation department.

You say to Neran, the Imperial Caretaker, "Tidings, Neran. I do have a question for you if you don't mind, or maybe at least something I hope you can help me with. We have a very specific, very predominant rat that has been daring enough to show up on the pool. If I wouldn't know better, I would say it is the same rat. I was hoping you might have an idea about that."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker mutters to himself about rats.
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker peers at you unscrupulously.
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker says, "A very predominant rat?"
You have emoted: Aeldra nods seriously at Neran, the Imperial Caretaker, "Yes, indeed. It struts around the pool area like it owns the place. And no matter how many times I forcefully remove it, it, or a very similar rat, comes back."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker's eyes bug out as he boggles in amazement.
You say, "And it has done that for at least the last decade, if am not mistaken. I am not sure how many times I tried to get rid of it, I lost count."
You have emoted: Aeldra taps her nose thoughtfully, "I burned it. Drowned it. lured it away with cheese. Had someone split it. Asked a bard to lure it away." she shakes her head again, staring at the dead the corpse of a rat in her hands, "I mean, am fairly certain no rat usually survives that kind of blast."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker struggles to figure out what to say, what to hep in this situation. "I mean, if you are killing it, then it cannot be the same rat." He appears flummoxed.
You say to Neran, the Imperial Caretaker, "You see my predicament, good Sir. Which is why I came here today."
You feel emboldened as you breathe in your own exotically-charged aroma.
You have emoted: Aeldra taps her nose thoughtfully, "There can't be a sewer exit leading to the pool that we've missed?" she inquires from Neran, the Imperial Caretaker.
Chewing on his lower lip, Neran, the Imperial Caretaker considers you carefully. "Lady Ladyn, what would you like me to do? I could perhaps try to devise some sort of rat traps, or something." At the question, he shakes his head. "I do not believe so."

You have emoted: Aeldra taps her nose thoughtfully, "I am not exactly sure. I did turn to you because I had hoped that your expertise and extensive connections with all those that deal with the rats of the city all the time might yield some useful ideas." She pauses, thinking on Neran, the Imperial Caretaker's words "Maybe, we could indeed devise a trap. Or could we mark it somehow, to figure out where it came from?" she muses.
The faint hint of dragonsblood disappears and you find yourself no longer coated in it.
A look of understanding crossing his features, Neran, the Imperial Caretaker nods his head slowly.
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker says, "I certainly have expertise, but if this rat is cunning, as you say, or all the rats are cunning, then we may need shrewder minds."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker says, "Perhaps give me some time to think on this? To reach out to folks? And we can see where this takes us?"
You nod your head emphatically.
You say, "Yes, of course."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker adds, "In the meantime, continue keeping a close eye?"
You sense the passage of Gabe to the south with a twitching pair of pointed ears.
You incline your head politely to Gabe.
Gabe curtseys gracefully before you.
Gabe tilts her head and listens intently.
With a dream-like echoing resound, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says, "Tidings to all."
You say to Gabe, "Tiding. I was just speaking with Neran about that particularly predominant rat that pesters the pool area regularly."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker mutters to himself about rats.
You say to Neran, the Imperial Caretaker, "I am sure we'll keep a close eye on this. If you need me to perform specific observations, or the city at larger having a closer eye on it, please do let me know. I'll gladly gather the people to have this dealt with."

With a dream-like echoing resound, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says to you, "Ah, yes. He's quite persistent, that one. Unitos normally takes care of him."
You have emoted: Aeldra nods at Gabe, "I am rather certain this particular rats, or its brethren have been a problem for at least a decade, though possibly longer. It is about time we do something about it and I am hoping that with Neran's help we can figure this out."
You have emoted: Rising a delicate eyebrow slightly at Gabe Aeldra states, "I certainly do hope not, though who knows. Maybe some shaman would be able to bond with a rat?" she muses.
Gabe attempts to keep the smirk from her lips when she replies, "I hear the Magnagoran's have quite the bond with rats. Perhaps 'tis a wayward demon child? However, he is a curious thing and not at all a healthy one for the City".
You have emoted: Aeldra shakes her head slightly, "I don't think this is something the Magnagoran's would come up with. It is too, well, natural for that." she says, carefully showing the corpse of a rat to Gabe with her gloved hands. "It is disgusting, but not unnatural as far as I can tell."
Gabe folds her arms and leans forward to glimpse into your gloved hands, idly inspecting it with a slight upturn of her nose. "Ghastly things, but I do wonder if he stuck in some temporal fold. Would it not be amusing, if all along, this little fellow was the one who brought about the Timequakes.."she pauses, mulling over her thoughts. "..what with his continuous life and death loop back to the Pool."
You have emoted: Her eyes widening at Gabe's words Aeldra remarks, "Maybe we should take it to Hallifax to have it examined before it decays, what do you think?" she inquires with Gabe, "Just to be on the safe side."
Gabe nods slowly, although a little undecided is the frown between her eyes. "Would they mind is bringing it into their City? I must say, I have never been there before" she murmurs, glancing up at you. "I suppose they would have the science for it".
You have emoted: Aeldra nods seriously at Gabe, "They have been proven quite reliant in the past in examining these temporal issues." she states, making a beckoning gesture at Gabe, "Let us see if we can't find us someone with the expertise of that." Towards Neran, the Imperial Caretaker she says, "We'll keep you posted if the trip to Hallifax yields anything substantial, Neran. Thank you for looking into this."
Neran, the Imperial Caretaker nods his head.
Gabe curtseys gracefully before Neran, the Imperial Caretaker.
Gabe begins to follow you.
"Ok!" Gabe exclaims.
With a dream-like echoing resound, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says, "Allow us to march onward."

// tracking to hallifax
Before the Matrix.
Nobody.
(Shadowlight): You say, "Are there any Hallifaxians awake at present? Preferably people with deep experience with temporal anomalies? We have a body and would like to rule out any time related issues with it. Gloves are advised."
Pursing her lips in a look of pensive contrition and pulling her cloak further around her, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says, "Very cold and windy. Very empty, yet aesthetically pleasing."
You have emoted: Aeldra nods seriously to Gabe, "it is a little how I always described Hallifax myself, though usually there are always people at the matrix. I sensed Irillia Shevat about, I'll ask her if she can't turn us someone up for help."
(Shadowlight): Ashira says, "I can try to assist."
You sense the passage of Ashira to the northeast with a twitching pair of pointed ears.
Fragments of crystal glide in from the northeast, humming as they assemble like a puzzle into the form of Ashira.
Ashira doffs a fiery circlet of braided rose gold cordially.
You incline your head politely to Ashira.
Gabe inclines her head politely to those around her.
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "So what's going on?"

You say to Ashira, "Tidings and apologies for taking your time up with this, it is but a nuissance, but I'd rather rule it out then finding out later that something dangerous was right below under noses."
Gabe nods her head sagely.
You have emoted: Aeldra carefully extends the corpse of a rat on her gloves hands for Ashira to example. "This very rat, has been very predominant around the area of our Nexus for over a decade now. And frankly, I can't recount the number of ways we tried to remove it, to no avail."
You say, "At first glance, it is not unlike any other rat and yet, it always returns, reappears, apparently unharmed. Lady Gabe here expressed concern that it may be a temporal anomaly, hence why were here."
Ashira steps forward and leans over to look at the rat, her hands clasped behind her back. "Did it suddenly turn up dead?"
Gabe folds her arms and nods once. "Neran spoke that we should keep an eye on this one, or at least feed back to them any abnormal occurrences. It's continual loop, or reappearance at the Pool has caused concern for many. The same little fellow, month after month."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "This is the only rat that appears at the Pool? Ever?"
With a dream-like echoing resound, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says, "Normally Unitos likes to dispose of him."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "What does Neran have to say about it as the head of the Sanitation Department?"
You say to Ashira, "He mentioned he's reaching out to people and looking into it."
You say, "And we are trying to rule out the more obscure things in the mean time, for example that it may be a rat to be stuck in a time loop or something like that."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says to Kaizynne, "Oh good, you can help."
Kaizynne tilts her head and listens intently.
You incline your head politely to Kaizynne.
Kaizynne inclines her head politely to you.
Gabe inclines her head politely to Kaizynne.
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says to Kaizynne, "This rat here apparently keeps reappearing at the Pool regardless of how often it's slain. They are concerned it's part of a temporal anomaly."
You have emoted: Aeldra extends the the corpse of a rat on her gloved hands for Kaizynne to examine. "As Lady Gabe states, this is the rat in question."
Mulling over her words, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says, "The same thing, every month. He comes back, he is disposed of, he comes back. Almost as if he were stuck in some temporal flux. Well, it is one theory I had. Else wise, it is a spy."
Kaizynne leans against a fearsome crystalline dragon, frowning a little for a moment. "It's entirely possible that it could be some kind of temporal loop, yes." she says, shrugging a moment. "Though, I doubt that it is anything to really be concerned about."

You have emoted: Aeldra nods thoughtfully at Kaizynne, "Well the problem persists since almost a decade and I'd rather realize it is something harmless then be overlooking something that could endanger us later."
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "I would conclude that it isn't dangerous."
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "If something like that were horrible wrong, the Conclave would have probably said something a long time ago."
Gabe nods her head in agreement at Kaizynne. "Quite possibly, you may very well be right. However, Lady Aeldra told me about the City of Hallifax and their grip of science. However, Neran the head of our Sanitation Department mentioned we keep an eye." she muses, shrugging her left shoulder.
Kaizynne creases her brow in a frown.
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says to Kaizynne, "You spoke too soon, it seems..."
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "One moment."
You have emoted: Aeldra rises an eyebrow questioningly, "Oh?" she inquires, "We'd mostly like to rule it out as a possibility."
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "The Conclave has analyzed the threat."
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "The Conclave has suggested that it is ultimately harmless, though it should be contained nonetheless."
You have emoted: Aeldra's ears perk up with sudden interest. "That is very interesting. Then our trip most certainly was not in vain." she states.
Gabe smiles serenely, nodding. "I concur - A productive trip and my first time stepping foot in Hallifax."
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "May I have the creature in question?"
You give the corpse of a rat to Kaizynne Shevat.
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "One moment."
You sense the passage of Kaizynne to the southwest with a twitching pair of pointed ears.
You say to Gabe, "It would seem, Lady Gabe, that you had a most particular instinct in this matter."
Gabe grins and nods, "Thank -you- Lady Aeldra for being so very astute".
You say to Ashira, "Please forgive my ignorance, but what is this Conclave of yours, if I may inquire. I don't think I've heard of it before."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "This is the first time I have encountered it myself. I don't know much about it."

You have emoted: Aeldra nods in understanding to Ashira, "I see. Mostly curiosity on my part, I am content as long as it can analyse this problem for us."
Gabe nods her head sagely.
Shaking her head slightly, you say, "If it weren't that this rat had been persisting past the normal average lifespan of a dozen rats, despite all attempts to remove it, I would feel entirely silly coming here with a dead rat."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "I was a bit surprised myself at it being a rat, to be honest. I expected a person, or maybe a dragon."
Ashira's eyes sparkle with amusement.
You ask Ashira, "I am certain you would be concerned too, if you would find one particular pigeon perched upon the matrix here, finding it removed time and time again only to return to sit in the same spot again, wouldn't you?"
With a dream-like echoing resound, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says, "Even the smallest of things can cause the largest of gripes."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "To be honest, I probably wouldn't notice. I don't spend much time at the Matrix. But point taken none the less."
You say to Ashira, "This particular one, at times it strutted around the place like it owned it. One might want to add that new celest is home to a rather large group of predatory creatures that consider rats their main course: cats."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "Ah, yes. The spies. I know all about the spies."
Ashira heaves an almighty groan.

The lament of the dwarves rises up, "The King is Dead! The King is Dead!" Some dwarves begin to trickle out of Rockholm, returning to their birth place in Southgard.
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "Not again with Thoril."
Ashira gives a pained sigh.
Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "Test are going to be conducted on the now alive rat."
You have emoted: Aeldra rises an eyebrow slightly at Ashira "Spies you say? I've never heard them referred to as that, but in either case, a cat would easily attack a rat so much out of its natural habitat." She turns her head to the returning Kaizynne, eyes widening slightly. "It returned to live before your eyes?" she inquires.
Kaizynne nods her head affirmatively.

Voice akin to the resonance of crystals, Kaizynne Shevat says, "I must disappear for now, unfortunately."
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "Thank you for your help."
Kaizynne nods her head at Ashira.
You ask Kaizynne, "Thank you for your time and help. Please do let us know what comes of this, yes?"
Kaizynne smiles softly.
Kaizynne nods her head at you.
You say to Gabe, "I think with that, we should return to the city for now."
You say to Ashira, "Likewise, thank you for your help, Lady Ashira."
You incline your head politely to Ashira.
Facet Ashira Ysav'rai says, "My pleasure."
With a flourish of her arm, Gabe bows deeply.

// teleporting back to Pool of Stars
You say to Gabe, "Well. That is most certainly interesting."
With a dream-like echoing resound, Herald of Sacrifice Gabe Ladyn, Royal Vizier says to you, "Well now. I hope it does not mutate into some giant abomination and wipe out every last ounce of cheese in the Basin."

Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.

Comments

• Actually, Gabe's second parting say, was "I hope it doesn't tare open a new rift in time, like some gigantic rat of doom and thousands of mutated doom rats come spewing forth with giant gnome weapons. The only way to save the Basin would be running around catching said doom rats."

• Oh my god is that what your question on Shadowlight was about earlier? That's amazing. 
    ‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
    It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

• Gurashi said:
    Oh my god is that what your question on Shadowlight was about earlier? That's amazing. 

It was! Stay tuned for more adventures of Aeldra&Gabe
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Gurashi said:
    Oh my god is that what your question on Shadowlight was about earlier? That's amazing. 

@Gurashi yes it was! Sorry for not explaining in game. I saw your inquiry fly by and then it evaporated again from my mind.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • I love this so much! I have also noticed that rat. 
  • It reminds me of Mr. Whiskers from MKO. Can it be Mr. Whiskers from MKO?!!!
  • edited July 2020
    Oh my god not DAVE he's a CHRISTENED SAINT (in my mind). Just make him a citizen at this point!

pronouns: they/them
  • AlarinAlarin Wailuku, Maui, Hawai'i
    I've always wondered what the deal was with that rat, lol.

A giant panda bounds into view, flanked by a gargantuan gorilla clad in golden plate armour. They both salute as the vision fades.