More General RP Skillsets

edited August 2020 in Ideas
Had this idea pop up after reading Kiradawea 's Research thread:

I've been thinking it might be nice to have more skillsets that are outside of tradeskills, like how beastmastery and arts is etc, available to everyone.

But how about something like Archaeology?

You could have designated areas throughout the basin, and dig for pieces of artifacts, curios, enchanted scrolls, etc. and through gradual research, piece them together to form functioning items/artifacts or fossils from which to resurrect beasts or loyals, or historical books about gods, lost races/communities, skillsets, languages and so on. There could be a chance for failure thrown in. Optional: as you get higher up in the skill you can generate culture points?

And snippets from a 4 yr old post for a Floristry skill, to make flowers more useful:

Assuming implementing a flower rift.

Perhaps if the regular common flowers of the flowerpot/ aetherseed artifacts were made similar to how herbs are right now, where they can be plucked and harvested in different areas dependent on season, time of day, but are visible to everyone instead of just to the person who has the skill. And the aetherseed/flowerpot artifact is changed so that on top of common flowers, you can have custom flowers as well (so as not to devalue the artifact for those who have it already).

Kayte wrote:

This is what I was about to suggest! Maybe a denizen who when you give him flowers and ask nicely, he'll make a bouquet and wrap it in paper? (comms needed - letter, flowers, with a flower limit) and then it just becomes "a bouquet of mixed flowers" or roses... etc. Or maybe just able to use roses, and then have another skill in Arts/jewelry/artisan where we can make wallhangings and such that use flowers and also those brooch-y things that people wear at weddings and prom that are made of flowers...

Phoebus wrote:
Or just fun little items, maybe made using Arts, that could be sold and worn/hung as decorations/whatever, that take chunks of flowers to use. A few different types of things, each using a different amount of flowers, maybe that could have a specific look if you used all of one type of flower (to perhaps make those "less desirable" blossoms more likely to be sought). I don't know, it would be nice to have SOMETHING to do with them, doubly so if it was something fun.

Floristry

Allows you to make a bouquet, boutonniere, corsage, wreath, circlet, wristlet, dream/meditation pillow or lei out of flowers to give to friends. Bouquets can be THROWN/TOSSED. Wreaths can be EXIBITted with Arts exhibit. All other types can be worn like normal flowers. (Types that can be used: Rose, Lily, Poppy, Carnation, Freesias, Skybloom, Kouseki, Lotus, Orchid, Iris, Iceflower etc). Use: ARRANGE (flower) (bouquet/circlet/etc). Ex. ARRANGE (twilight blue rose) bouquet = A bouquet of twilight blue roses. or Arrange lavender skybloom boutonniere = A lavender skybloom boutonniere.

Decay time would be normal, unless perhaps there was an arts made vase to extend for bouquets/circlets. Or maybe two bouquet/circlet types, one regular, one wedding, where wedding types have a high comms cost, and are permanent, but can remember/record the date of the wedding when the officiant declares the couple to be wed?

Have a selection of abilities in the nature and totem skills (plus specs) that consume flowers and flowercrafts as part of their cost.

Other

Taming/Bonding. I just really miss this skillset from other games. Tame a beast to train, tame a critter.

Trader/Merchant. More of a guild idea, but we don't have room for more guilds I think. But, still would be a fun thing some day. Maybe tie ins with Sako and Czigany.  Would be nice to introduce a neutral Trader/Merchant option. They could perhaps start out working off a debt as a novice Merchant from the starting caravan/wagon and pack beasts the guild supplies them with to start off with, once that debt's worked off graduate to running courier jobs between towns and orgs, then eventually be able to buy their own caravan wagon from an artisan and new set of beasts of their choosing/taming. Be able to traverse caravan only routes ala Pathfinding. Perks: Slight discount in shops, able to speculate on comms prices, inherently lucky in regards to finding hidden things/gold. Could extend to aetherspace trading if you have ships, so aetherbubble trade routes.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)

Comments

• Orventa said:
    Had this idea pop up after reading Kiradawea 's Research thread:

I've been thinking it might be nice to have more skillsets that are outside of tradeskills, like how beastmastery and arts is etc, available to everyone.

But how about something like Archaeology?

You could have designated areas throughout the basin, and dig for pieces of artifacts, curios, enchanted scrolls, etc. and through gradual research, piece them together to form functioning items/artifacts or fossils from which to resurrect beasts or loyals, or historical books about gods, lost races/communities, skillsets, languages and so on. There could be a chance for failure thrown in. Optional: as you get higher up in the skill you can generate culture points?

And snippets from a 4 yr old post for a Floristry skill, to make flowers more useful:

Assuming implementing a flower rift.

Perhaps if the regular common flowers of the flowerpot/ aetherseed artifacts were made similar to how herbs are right now, where they can be plucked and harvested in different areas dependent on season, time of day, but are visible to everyone instead of just to the person who has the skill. And the aetherseed/flowerpot artifact is changed so that on top of common flowers, you can have custom flowers as well (so as not to devalue the artifact for those who have it already).

Kayte wrote:

This is what I was about to suggest! Maybe a denizen who when you give him flowers and ask nicely, he'll make a bouquet and wrap it in paper? (comms needed - letter, flowers, with a flower limit) and then it just becomes "a bouquet of mixed flowers" or roses... etc. Or maybe just able to use roses, and then have another skill in Arts/jewelry/artisan where we can make wallhangings and such that use flowers and also those brooch-y things that people wear at weddings and prom that are made of flowers...

Phoebus wrote:
    Or just fun little items, maybe made using Arts, that could be sold and worn/hung as decorations/whatever, that take chunks of flowers to use. A few different types of things, each using a different amount of flowers, maybe that could have a specific look if you used all of one type of flower (to perhaps make those "less desirable" blossoms more likely to be sought). I don't know, it would be nice to have SOMETHING to do with them, doubly so if it was something fun.

Floristry

Allows you to make a bouquet, boutonniere, corsage, wreath, circlet, wristlet, dream/meditation pillow or lei out of flowers to give to friends. Bouquets can be THROWN/TOSSED. Wreaths can be EXIBITted with Arts exhibit. All other types can be worn like normal flowers. (Types that can be used: Rose, Lily, Poppy, Carnation, Freesias, Skybloom, Kouseki, Lotus, Orchid, Iris, Iceflower etc). Use: ARRANGE (flower) (bouquet/circlet/etc). Ex. ARRANGE (twilight blue rose) bouquet = A bouquet of twilight blue roses. or Arrange lavender skybloom boutonniere = A lavender skybloom boutonniere.

Decay time would be normal, unless perhaps there was an arts made vase to extend for bouquets/circlets. Or maybe two bouquet/circlet types, one regular, one wedding, where wedding types have a high comms cost, and are permanent, but can remember/record the date of the wedding when the officiant declares the couple to be wed?

Have a selection of abilities in the nature and totem skills (plus specs) that consume flowers and flowercrafts as part of their cost.

Other

Taming/Bonding. I just really miss this skillset from other games. Tame a beast to train, tame a critter.

Trader/Merchant. More of a guild idea, but we don't have room for more guilds I think. But, still would be a fun thing some day. Maybe tie ins with Sako and Czigany.  Would be nice to introduce a neutral Trader/Merchant option. They could perhaps start out working off a debt as a novice Merchant from the starting caravan/wagon and pack beasts the guild supplies them with to start off with, once that debt's worked off graduate to running courier jobs between towns and orgs, then eventually be able to buy their own caravan wagon from an artisan and new set of beasts of their choosing/taming. Be able to traverse caravan only routes ala Pathfinding. Perks: Slight discount in shops, able to speculate on comms prices, inherently lucky in regards to finding hidden things/gold. Could extend to aetherspace trading if you have ships, so aetherbubble trade routes.

I think archaeology is fun and has very good potential for lore and perhaps for addition of new game mechanics.  But if we can get free curios or maybe temporary artifacts with some RNG, all the better!

Also, flowers seem to be underrated. I mean there are designs that require a flower or two but there are only few uses to them considering that we have several active Elder goddesses who are into flowers or their aspects; Maylea, Viravain, Lantra, Mysrai of that come into mind. This is why I support Floristry idea, however, are there any other possible uses aside from what were suggested for that trade if ever? What if some flavoured lines for logging in and out? Like some scent of potpourri causing the ambients? We might be pre-empting any plans of the admin but if they do have plans, I am excited for it! We can probably have a city/commune (state) flower for each org too...

As for Taming/Bonding, this sounds something existent in a different IRE game. I think Lusternia has a unique lore on its own but who knows?

Trading/merchant has a local side to Lusternia, which is related to player-based shops or aetherspace as in goop or dusts. But I can see that dust trading could use a little more flavour to it, other than the gold or some power from auronidion spheres.
  • (old stuff)
    I think archaeology is fun and has very good potential for lore and perhaps for addition of new game mechanics.  But if we can get free curios or maybe temporary artifacts with some RNG, all the better!

Also, flowers seem to be underrated. I mean there are designs that require a flower or two but there are only few uses to them considering that we have several active Elder goddesses who are into flowers or their aspects; Maylea, Viravain, Lantra, Mysrai of that come into mind. This is why I support Floristry idea, however, are there any other possible uses aside from what were suggested for that trade if ever? What if some flavoured lines for logging in and out? Like some scent of potpourri causing the ambients? We might be pre-empting any plans of the admin but if they do have plans, I am excited for it! We can probably have a city/commune (state) flower for each org too...

As for Taming/Bonding, this sounds something existent in a different IRE game. I think Lusternia has a unique lore on its own but who knows?

Trading/merchant has a local side to Lusternia, which is related to player-based shops or aetherspace as in goop or dusts. But I can see that dust trading could use a little more flavour to it, other than the gold or some power from auronidion spheres.
    To clarify my vague, old comments regarding taming/bonding: Yes, I know Imperian has this skillset. I was more thinking on how Lusternia could make it better. I am hesitant to explain further here, though will likely post in game.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Perfumes, pls. 
  • Yinuish said:
    Perfumes, pls. 
    And the ability to perfume letters. /epistolary-rp
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST