Bargaining with Deotathi

So this is an ...old log? I hope logs don't have an expiration date!

Anyway, for context, Drachou was in grave danger by smoking offerings given to him by dragon envoys which were aging herbs in disguise. Mesadari took initiative and directed us to bring items to start a ritual to help restore Drachou to his healthy state. One of the aforementioned items was an ancient scroll that Deotathi Miim of the Dapper Dashro has with him, but I was warned that he will not give it to me without a hard bargain.

You say to Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification, "Hello, Purveyor!"

Nepenthe tells you, "Doing all right?"

You have emoted: Coraline waves her hands in front of the eyes of Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification, making sure he's quite there.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Ah, yes, yes, what is it now?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification peers about himself unscrupulously.

Chiming like gently struck crystal, you echo to Kind Nepenthe, "I reached the Dapper Dashro, at least.."

(Gaudiguch): Alary says, "Got the mortar and pestle!"

You say, "So.. Mesadari said you have a scroll of some sort.."

(Gaudiguch): Afrit says, "Excellent."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Oi, watch the face. I only have the one, y'know."

You say, "It looks... sooty? Perhaps."

Nepenthe tells you, "Listen I'm super rich, so just let me know if you need some money for that guy."

(Gaudiguch): Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame says, "Bring it here, babes!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "A scroll? We don't get to reading overmuch here. What kind of scroll?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification scratches his head in confusion.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification appears quite befuddled, though a canny glint flickers in his gaze as he regards you.

You ask, "How many scrolls do you have, even?"

You exclaim, "The sooty one!"

You say, "The one that's ...old?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "What kind of part-time librarian d'you think I'd be if I kept a scroll around with soot on it?"

The muffled turning and grumbling of wheels on stone pass by outside, followed by the sharp crack of a beastmaster's whip.

Glaring at you, Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification prods you repeatedly, the height of rudeness.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Just so I could call it the sooty scroll?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "What's even on this supposed scroll, eh?"

You say, "I'm not sure, but it has something that.."

You scratch your head looking for an idea.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification tilts his head and listens intently.

You say, "Something that might cure hangovers!"

You ask, "Yes, do you have a scroll that cures hangovers?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "I might, hang on."

You wipe the back of your hand across your brow in relief.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification turns and rummages through a nearby shelf, withdrawing an ornate scroll case covered in gilded traceries.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification lifts the scroll case carefully, and then soundly thwaps you upside the head with it.

(Gaudiguch): You say, "Ah, seems like he's got... a scroll!"

Loudly, Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Are you cured?"

"Ooowwwww!", you whine.

You say, "Hey! Watch it! And it's not for me!"

You say, "It's for Drachou!"

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "Mallows, we are looking for mallows. I found one. How many do we need?"

(Gaudiguch): Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame says, "That's the one, babes, and don't let that STINGY BASTARD cheat you."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "For Dr-."

(Gaudiguch): You say, "Mashmallows?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification peers about himself unscrupulously.

You nod your head enthusiastically.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Who did you say sent you?"

(Gaudiguch): Afrit says, "Do we need, uhh, indigo-coloured spice?"

You say, "Mesadari..."

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "No, mallows!"

You exclaim, "Stop wasting time!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Oh, sodding Nil."

You say, "Just let me borrow the thing!"

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "How many, Mesadari!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification tosses the scroll case aside. The lid flips open, revealing it to be empty as Deotathi scowls.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "You need -that- scroll."

You tug urgently on Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification's sleeve.
Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification offers a toothy, serpent-like grin.

You say, "Yes!"

(Gaudiguch): Deniana says, "All of them."

(Gaudiguch): Citinia says, "As many as we can get."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Well, well, I have a scroll that might be useful, y'see, but it's one of the most valuable things I happen t'possess."

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "Ok."

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "You can only get three per plant it seems."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "It's old, right? Older than ol' fire-britches over there."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "So I'm afraid I'll have to at least maintain the value of my collection if I'm to hand it over, y'see?"

(Gaudiguch): Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame says, "Considering I thought it was extinct, that's more than I expected. Bring 'em on back, babes."

Nodding vigorously, you say, "I'll bring it back just as it is!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification grins smugly.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Oh, no, no. What kind of businessman would I be if I just let you toddle right off with my scroll?"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Next to a BLEEDING HUGE FIRE no less?"

You ask, "...well, don't you love Drachou?"

The first rumbles of a distant eruption reverberate through every surface, causing the very foundations to shiver and quake.

You say, "Don't you want him to not die?"

Snorting, Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Of course I do, what kind of question is that?"

You say, "Good! Then give me the scroll!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "But I also have no intention of devaluing my assets, y'see."

You say, "So we can save-."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "No, no, you're going t'have to come up with something of equal value, I'm afraid, or you'll have t'look somewhere else."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification grunts noncommitally.

You say, "Well, I'll return it..."

You put your hands on your hips and go "Hmmm!"

You wave a platter of lucidian crunch about energetically.

You ask, "What about ...my exotic platter?"

You exclaim, "It's a delicacy from Mount Krog!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification examines the platter carefully, at length shrugging one shoulder. "Meh. Disposable."

Swollen, searing air slinks in through cracks and crevices, offering no escape.

You have emoted: Coraline holds up a patchwork calico kitten. "My precious Crumbles?"

You say, "She catches many mice!"

You exclaim, "...and the Dashro has many... she catches lizards too!"

Nepenthe tells you, "Did you get the thing?"

Chiming like gently struck crystal, you echo to Kind Nepenthe, "I'm still bargaining!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification looks slightly more interested as he regards the kitten with a keen eye.

(Gaudiguch): You say, "Sorry, but I -have- to find a good bargain!"

Afrit tells you, "I'm coming to help you shake this guy down."

You feel a slight tug within your chest and the air around you sparkles with motes of bright light.
You sense Afrit pulling on the strands of aether surrounding you.

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "Okorushi stones are what he likes most."

Nepenthe arrives, following Afrit.
Motes of light coalesce, whirling in graceful swirls of effervescence around the rapidly coalescing figure of Afrit.

You say, "Look, the Dashro is -infested- with mice."

You exclaim, "Crumbles will catch them all!"

You wave a patchwork calico kitten about energetically.

Afrit peers about himself unscrupulously.

You exclaim, "And all the vermin too!"

You say, "Lizards... bugs.."

Afrit says, "Actually, I'm going to go get another okorushi."

Nepenthe leaves, following Afrit.
As Afrit departs to the northeast, the sense of warm serenity fades, leaving you colder in comparison.

You feel a slight tug within your chest and the air around you sparkles with motes of bright light.
You sense Alary pulling on the strands of aether surrounding you.

You say, "The dashro will be squeaky clean!"

Chromatic rays sear the air as Ankaa strides in from the ether.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Well, now, it sounds like you and this kitten have quite a bond. You're going t'hand her over to me just like that?"

Alary utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

Colourful after-images of beaks and wings fade into nothing as Ankaa leaves to the northeast.

Feigning sadness, you say, "Well, if it's for the sake of the Guardian's life..."

You say, "..I will let my beloved kitten hang around here for a moment."

You nod your head enthusiastically.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification sucks thoughtfully on his teeth.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "A year."

You exclaim, "A year? an hour!"

Nepenthe arrives from the northeast.

You say, "She'll be here an hour."

You say, "Give me the scroll."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "A sodding year of a lizard-free Dashro, or no deal. You think of what a pittance that is for the Drachou's well-being."

A sense of warm serenity settles upon the surroundings as Afrit strides in from the northeast.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Who's being stingy now, eh?"

You exclaim, "Fine, a month!"

The smell of road dust fills your nose, and you glimpse crossroads and paths as if a map floats before your eyes.

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification turns around, clearly ending the conversation.

You give a pained sigh.

Using his tongue and the roof of his mouth, Afrit makes a quiet clicking noise.

Kind Nepenthe says to Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification, "Could I throw in some sartorial sweetener in this pot?"

You ask, "Okay... half a year?"

Nepenthe proudly shows off snug sable okorushi-leather trousers:
Snugly fitted and dyed a rebellious sable hue, these okorushi-leather
trousers leave little to the imagination, hugging tightly to hips,
thighs, and calves. No part of the bovine beast appears to have gone to
waste in the making of the garment, from the low-slung waistband secured
with a toggle of polished okorushi horn, to the rakish fringe of short
ashen fur sewn down the outer seam of each leg. Intricate tooling along
the edges of the pockets, belt loops, and hems lends some subtle
ornamentation at the extremities of the trousers, but they are otherwise
a bold black canvas showcasing the wearer's every curve and contour.

(Gaudiguch): Afrit says, "Did you say he likes okorushi stones? Like maybe the one I got earlier?"

(Gaudiguch): You say, "We're just bargaining on the specifics now."

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "No, these are stones made from their corpses."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification turns his head slightly, regarding the displayed trousers over his shoulder.

(Gaudiguch): Afrit says, "Oh, very well."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Hm."

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "You put their corpses in the rock at the lava falls, and it turns them into a stone."

You say, "Half a year is plenty of time for the Dashro to get de-infested."

(Gaudiguch): Afrit says, "Ahh...how strange!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Alright, twofold bargain. An' this is me being EXCEEDINGLY well-mannered, only for the wellbeing of our beloved Drachou, of course."

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "They make a good dreaming powder when Deotathi grinds them up."

You beam broadly.

Nepenthe swivels his ears towards Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification, listening with rapt attention.

Pointing at Coraline, Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Half a year of the kitten. Returned to you at the end of that period in pristine condition."

You sense Alary pulling on the strands of aether surrounding you.

You say, "Okay, take care of her, because she is like my -daughter-."

Leaning forward, you gently press a kiss to a patchwork calico kitten's brow.

Chromatic rays sear the air as Ankaa strides in from the ether.

You give a patchwork calico kitten to Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification.

You sniffle softly.

Smoke curling from their nostrils, High Inquisitor Alary al-Saaoud, Blades Betwixt Ebon Veils says, "Hey, we have okorushi stones."

Pointing at Nepenthe, Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "You, I don't need the trousers, but sit about here every month or so an' model them for the girls. They'll appreciate the entertainment."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification smirks.

Alary waves about an okorushi stone energetically.

Nepenthe stares blankly into space.

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame yells, "You stingy old bastard, this is life and death! Could you BE any slower?!"

Afrit glances askance at Nepenthe.

Kind Nepenthe looks undecided and says, "F-for... how long?"

Smoke curling from their nostrils, High Inquisitor Alary al-Saaoud, Blades Betwixt Ebon Veils says, "Cough up the scroll or we'll shove these stones where the sun don't shine, Miim."

Eerily silent, Ankaa shifts from one leg to the other causing the dizzying multitude of colours shining off of his ornate disc to mix with the warping heat that surround him to create a spectacle of hues that reflect from every surface for a brief moment before dampening to his normal beauty.

The first rumbles of a distant eruption reverberate through every surface, causing the very foundations to shiver and quake.

Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard yells, "You need weed? Booze? Some of that stuff Mesadari keeps in her boobs?"

You see Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification yell, "I have a BUSINESS t'run, you daft madwoman!"

Urgently, you say, "Give us the scroll! I gave you my side of the bargain!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says to Nepenthe, "We'll discuss that later. I hear there are more important things to deal with."

Covering his face with both paws, Kind Nepenthe says, "Okay, for Drachou! Give Coraline the scroll!"

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification gives a brittle scroll deeply burned with ancient writings to you.

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame yells, "I'll run your business, you crusty old sandworm excrement; right up your fat arse!"

Smoke curling from their nostrils, High Inquisitor Alary al-Saaoud, Blades Betwixt Ebon Veils says, "Fun fact we'd like to point out, if Drachou dies you won't HAVE a business to run."

Deotathi Miim, Purveyor of Gratification says, "Pleasure doing business."

You say, "Ah thanks, bye!"

Nepenthe begins to follow you.

(Off to Drachou)                      

You see Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard yell, "C'mon man! Help Drachou out or you won't have a business! We'll all die!"

You give a brittle scroll deeply burned with ancient writings to Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame.
Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame pockets a brittle scroll deeply burned with ancient writings with a thoughtful expression, nodding slowly.

Nepenthe fidgets nervously with his rings.

You exclaim, "Finally!"

Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard says, "Oh finally."

Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard says, "What'd he want?"

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame's delight is interrupted by curiosity at Ashira's question.

A sense of warm serenity settles upon the surroundings as Afrit strides in from the in.

You exclaim, "I had to give him my calico kitten for -half a year-!"

Nepenthe glances askance.

Afrit pants like a dog.

Deniana says, "That asshole."

Kind Nepenthe says, "Yep, that all."

Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard says, "...a cat?"

Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard says, "He wanted...a freaking SPY!"

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame says, "."

You say to Ashira, "I convinced him she was a master lizard-hunter."

Your eyes light up as an impish grin creeps over your features.

Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard says, "Spies. Cats are all spies."

Chromatic rays sear the air as Ankaa strides in from the in.

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame's mouth closes, as she bites her tongue and looks instead to her possessions. "Okay, round everyone up."

You see Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard yell, "You got tricked man. Cats are spies."

Comprehension flashes across Afrit's face.

(Gaudiguch): Ashira says, "Everyone back to Drachou!"

(Gaudiguch): Deniana says, "Everybody back."

Quietly, you say, "I've never seen Crumbles catch one lizard in her life..."

Offering the dagger hilt-first, Afrit says, "Do you need this back, Keeper?"

Kind Nepenthe sadly says to you, "If your cat doesn't perform, I might have to."

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame shakes her head.

You smirk at Nepenthe.

Mesadari Rhiero, Keeper of the Eternal Flame says, "You can put it back at the shrine, once we're done."

Afrit says, "Ahh, right."

Afrit nods his head emphatically.
You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.

Comments

• Pyromaniac Ashira Mes'ard yells, "You need weed? Booze? Some of that stuff Mesadari keeps in her boobs?"

Mesadari isn't a golden dragon, is she? 
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.