Announce Post #3069: Action Line Customisation

Have you ever looked at customising an artifact, then found yourself disappointed that you couldn't change what it looked like on use? Are you sad of snorting and snuffling through your refined aquiline nose, or saddened that your gnomeweapon you turned into a paintbrush is still spewing ink everywhere?

Well, have we got some good news for you: you can now customise action lines in artifacts!

Now, before you go running off to customise everything you've ever owned, know that there are some limitations and a lot of specifics that you need to be aware of when applying for a customisation.

We have to add support for this per artifact, and we currently have support for gnomeweapons, whips and noses. But once we've got support for an artifact, we can accept customisations for that artifact from everyone. So you are permitted to request customisations for action lines on other artifacts, but be aware that this will take longer, and may not be possible at all.

An action line customisation costs 100 credits. This price is separate to any other customisation you buy - so if for example you wanted to customise both the description and action lines of an artifact, it would be 175cr in total. You may customise the action lines of an otherwise uncustomised artifact, if you desire.

Please note that none of this applies to custom beasts/pets, or curios (including any item that is curio-generated). This is only for 'standard' artifacts.

The full details of exactly what information you need to give for each artifact type are in HELP CUSTOMISATION, along with information on how to apply for the action line customisation, and all of the information given here.

We expect to receive a high volume of queries and submissions following this announcement, so please note that our lead time on initial submissions may be a little extended.

Comments

• This is me, shrieking excitedly over more customisation, and carefully preparing her daily credits for the future.
  • Apparently you can pay to add an alias to an artifact, but you can't have one removed. That means if I customise my gnomeweapon cat, it's always going to be a cat no matter what else I turn it into :(
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • So very excited about this but also so very sad. I finally gave in and got a gnomeweapon as I've never liked the way they were and customised it to something that kind of fit the attack message and now we can change the attack message! 
  • Due to this change it would be amazing if we could get a gnomeweapon that just has the generic 'weapon, gnomeweapon, artifact' nouns so we could get extra creative!

• Auriella said:
    So very excited about this but also so very sad. I finally gave in and got a gnomeweapon as I've never liked the way they were and customised it to something that kind of fit the attack message and now we can change the attack message! 
    Me toooooo.....paintbrush flush with ink, even the announce teases me!  :'(

(such an awesome addition to customizations though, by gods yesssss.)
  • We can finally have honking geese gnomeweapons!
  • edited August 2020
    Hm with the "make sense" part, is that just that the line can't really imply it's doing damage or afflictions that it's actually not? 

Considering it but want to check if a gnome weapon that like... summons ancestors or does something nature-based be alright even though it's not really... gnomish?

edit: Oh actually, does this also include the "slay line" too?
    i.e For the pen referenced as being a paintbrush "The final moments of a robed obesefessor have been written by a mechanical fountain pen."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    We were told no, but in that example it'd be "The final moments of a robed obesefessor have been written by a paintbrush flushed with ink." or similar, in the same way that I "Snort and snuffle through a jade-furred nose." unless I am grossly misunderstanding Ianir.

For the "make sense" part, it's basically that, yeah. Like how customzaps couldn't reference crackling ice because they aren't cold damage.
  • Luce said:
    We were told no, but in that example it'd be "The final moments of a robed obesefessor have been written by a paintbrush flushed with ink." or similar, in the same way that I "Snort and snuffle through a jade-furred nose." unless I am grossly misunderstanding Ianir.
    Yeah, asking more cause customising something to have like... a stabbing death when the slay line says a bludgeoning one is weird.
  • Yes, to be clear, the line you can customise is not the death line. It is just the attack line. So that's one of the ways in which your customisation needs to make sense - it'd be entirely nonsensical if you had your gloves envelop someone in deadly clouds of energy only for the death line to then say Thing has been shot down by You.

It also needs to make sense in terms of what's realistic (no calling down a precision strike from orbit), and what goes with your customisation (if your pen is a pen, don't talk about it painting the target). For gnomeweapons, you have the added requirement that you need to include the type variable - i.e. the damage type - so you need to think about how you're going to work that in.

As mentioned though if you've got any queries, the best thing to do is give us specifics - this is about as much detail as we can go into theoretically. So you're always welcome to shoot us an email at artifacts@lusternia.com with your concept and we'll let you know what is and isn't possible. The more you have to show us in terms of proper lines, the better our answer will be.
    Art by the wonderful Gurashi.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    There was a time on Maligorn that I customized my staff into a crystal sabre (because Force Commander), but I apparently wasn't reading that day because it was still "Maligorn points his staff at <target>. So to be clear, since I was dumb last time, this means I can customize the staff back into a sabre, and then also have it be me "pointing the sabre at <target> (with additional fluff as needed)"?

• Sadly no, because your staff is not an artifact. This service specifically applies to artifacts, and is not offered for class weapons at this time.
    Follow-up question. With the advent of staff Tuning, people can tune their staffs to be 100 of something and none of another. So Geomancers could theoretically be 100 poison on their staffs, but their staffs are still shooting out pointy rocks in addition to the poison cloud. Pyromancers still cast a fiery beam even if they're 100 asphyx. I can do 100% cold damage and my staff will still do cobalt lightning (and leave dead people convulsing as if struck with electricity). Is that same kind of "flexibility" going to be offered?

Alternatively, could the admin or playerbase come up with alternate lines depending on staff tuning? :3

• That's not in our current plans - especially since as mentioned it's outside the remit of this system - but you can submit an IDEA if you'd like to put this forward for consideration.
    I guess I confused artifact and runed class weapons. It's hard not to think of something you customize, resets to you and doesn't decay as Not An Artifact.

• Woo, submitted my first action line change! Let's see how this goes.

Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • edited November 2020
    To assist in selecting which gnomeweapon you would like to customise, and because we've just dug all these out for someone via email and might as well - here are all of the death lines (i.e. the unchangeable lines) for gnomeweapons.

Parasol:
    TARGET dies from the discharge of OBJECT.

Cane:
    TARGET expires from the impact of OBJECT.

Gloves:
    TARGET has been shot down by OBJECT.

Pen:
    The final moments of TARGET have been written by OBJECT.

Clock:
    OBJECT has counted the remaining seconds of the life of TARGET.

Cat/Dog:
    TARGET has been killed by the laser death stare of OBJECT.

Spider:
    TARGET has met their end in the deadly web of OBJECT.

Top Hat:
    TARGET has been slapped into oblivion by OBJECT.

Goggles:
    TARGET has succumbed to the death stare of OBJECT.

Apron:
    The contents of OBJECT have battered TARGET to a pulp.