Whoops: Emoting Mishaps!

edited February 2020 in The Funnies
I have played text-based MUDs for longer than I care to admit... my first MUD was Avalon. In 1989. Anywho! In just over thirty years, I have had many experiences. My fondest just so happen to be emotes that I assumed did one thing, only to be proven that the equation assume = ass - u +me is also true. In simple terms... never assume anything.

Flip. When I decided to convert to Achaea (my very first IRE), I assumed that the flip emote did in Achaea what it did in both Avalon and Cardea; caused your character to perform a backflip. I used it on Phaestus (a god there) in an attempt to celebrate his promoting me in his Order and watched in horrified disbelief as the return text of "You flip Phaestus the bird" appeared on my screen. The next thing I remember is being smack dab in the middle of Mhaldor. I was Shallamese. To put it in Lusternian terms, that is akin to me flipping off one of the Celestian Divine as a Celestian and having him/her punt me to the Megalith in Magnagora.

The second one I remember is the stroke emote. Believe it or not, I had only used that one in Cardea prior to coming to Lusternia. There, it had your character stroke his or her chin in contemplation. Again, I watch in utter disbelief as Octavia began stroking herself tenderly in front of a bunch of people at the Aetherplex. I refused to log in for three real-life months after that, sincerely hoping that people would not remember that. Or... at least forget it was ME who did it. I've been back since the end of January (this happened before Thanksgiving) and no one has mentioned it, so phew! 😁

Those are two of mine. Let's see what you folks have!

Comments

• edited February 2020
    I religiously look at EMSHOW before emoting anything now after the kitten mishap.

I’d just got a kitten and was so happy I kissed it (in hindsight, fhkiss was what I was looking for) .... passionately  :|

I’m sorry, kitty!
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Coraline said:
    I religiously look at EMSHOW before emoting anything now after the kitten mishap.

I’d just got a kitten and was so happy I kissed it (in hindsight, fhkiss was what I was looking for) .... passionately  :|

I’m sorry, kitty!
    Aww, poor kitty! And yes, me too! I did almost have another mishap this past Friday (I hadn't known about EMSHOW just yet). I was testing some emotes so I can tailor a few of them for Octavia to add more rp flavor. Defiance.

Thank GOD I was alone in a manse! 😂😂😂
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2020
    I have a little alias called “tem” that tells my painted dog to emote. So if I want to have him do something, I just, for example, “tem nuzzle miso” or “tem emote nuzzles up against ^miso, smearing his hideous suit with all manner of paint.”

I live in constant fear that I’ll forget to type the tem someday.  :#
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Hmm.  Could you use "teme" as an alias for the emote emote command, to avoid that?
  • Aonia said:
    Brush. Brush is the emote that has destroyed so many moments. When you discover what targeted brush does, you never forget.
    Now I'm both tempted and scared to go look, lol. Logged out to work on my book.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It switches from hairbrushing yourself to lip-brushing your target.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Itch is another one that requires some confidence.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Xenthos said:
    It switches from hairbrushing yourself to lip-brushing your target.
    ...oh heck... I am now glad someone introduced me to EMSHOW. I could totally see myself taking a break from writing, logging in and sneaking up on some poor hapless soul to test it. Disastrous!

• Xenthos said:
    The targeted PURSE emote prior to EMSHOW's existence.

It did not do what I expected after seeing the untargeted one.
    I love this story. It never gets old for me. 
    ‘It’s important to be kind. You can’t know all the times that you’ve hurt people in tiny, significant ways.
    It’s easy to be cruel without meaning to be. There’s nothing you can do about that. But you can choose to be kind. Be kind.’

• Very minor, but I got tired of sighing the name of things and thus idea'd 'sighat'... because I KEPT DOING IT.

Czixi, the Welkin murmurs, "Fight on, My Effervescent Sylph. I will be with you as you do."

Aian Lerit'r, Lead Schematicist exclaims to you, "A *paperwork* emergency, Chairman!

• Very minor, but I got tired of sighing the name of things and thus idea'd 'sighat'... because I KEPT DOING IT.
    Plead is the same way
    You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • Sig-Hat.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • AlarinAlarin Wailuku, Maui, Hawai'i
    Aonia said:
    Brush. Brush is the emote that has destroyed so many moments. When you discover what targeted brush does, you never forget.
    Oh my god, @Knorrith mentioned that emote a day or two ago and I am VERY thankful I've never used it in-game, especially after looking up what it does on EMSHOW. O_O

A giant panda bounds into view, flanked by a gargantuan gorilla clad in golden plate armour. They both salute as the vision fades.