Keeping Divine Orders Alive

AlarinAlarin Wailuku, Maui, Hawai'i
The one thing I've always said was "Man, it'd be so cool if I could join <enter dormant Divine name here> Order. While some have devoted followers who have both remained in the Order and managed to remain active, not all do. So I had a couple of ideas to maybe lessen the need for an active Divine in order for their followers to keep the Order going.

1. Allow the Order hopefuls to join an outside sect via game mechanics, such as Aetolia's Congregation system which allows the use of JOIN CONGREGATION OF <divine> which automatically makes them a part of that congregation.

2. Adding the ability to give Divine favours to other mortals into the Veneration skillset (hey, if a Divine deemed you worthy of not only making you one of their Avatars, but also allowed you a cult, why not?).

I write this in hope that we can keep a few more Divine Orders active, even if the Divine themselves become dormant. I'd love to know what you guys think!

A giant panda bounds into view, flanked by a gargantuan gorilla clad in golden plate armour. They both salute as the vision fades.

Comments

• This and purely RP gods would be great
  • AlarinAlarin Wailuku, Maui, Hawai'i
    Lawrence said:
    This and purely RP gods would be great
    If god roles became purely RP, I'd apply for Ephemeral in a heartbeat. :D 

A giant panda bounds into view, flanked by a gargantuan gorilla clad in golden plate armour. They both salute as the vision fades.

• I think you'd hit an issue with the second because cults are something that requires the god to set up so if the avatars go inactive then that's kinda it.

You'd be potentially more able to keep things going if it was an order priv because, depending on how stuff is set up, players could welcome and promote new members without an active god.
    Saran said:
    I think you'd hit an issue with the second because cults are something that requires the god to set up so if the avatars go inactive then that's kinda it.

You'd be potentially more able to keep things going if it was an order priv because, depending on how stuff is set up, players could welcome and promote new members without an active god.
    That's actually a very good point. Inner circle privilege then, maybe?

• Alarin said:
    Saran said:
    I think you'd hit an issue with the second because cults are something that requires the god to set up so if the avatars go inactive then that's kinda it.

That's actually a very good point. Inner circle privilege then, maybe?
    It's kinda a... it depends thing, it could just be an investible power and the god can decide where it goes. But then if they go inactive it goes away.
    You could also make it more dynamic and have it be an option for the highest-ranked active members of the order, that way it moves down the ranks if people higher up disappear.

You could also do something and revise orders to be more easily player managed should the god go inactive but that seems potentially complex cause it also needs to consider how stuff should work when there is an active admin running it or what happens if players have been running stuff and then the god comes back. There's also probably an upper limit on how far you can go, like you probably wouldn't be able to get avatar/cult, temple expansions, new stoles/order beasts, etc.
  • Divine orders just really struggle without the Divine being active in pretty much all cases I've seen. It's almost kind of magical how a Divine returning from dormancy/having a new player admin can make a whole group of players just return seemingly out of thin air - th intentions of supporting dormant orders are good, but I'm not sure how much can really be derived from it.

Pure roleplay divine was actually the original intention behind ascension, and while I think that could be a neat avenue to explore I can also see why we've shied from it. Puts a lot of strain on coder admin who might not be able to commit in the same ways, even if they'd like to.

Jolanthe said:
    Divine orders just really struggle without the Divine being active in pretty much all cases I've seen. It's almost kind of magical how a Divine returning from dormancy/having a new player admin can make a whole group of players just return seemingly out of thin air - th intentions of supporting dormant orders are good, but I'm not sure how much can really be derived from it.

Aha, very good point!

Pure roleplay divine was actually the original intention behind ascension, and while I think that could be a neat avenue to explore I can also see why we've shied from it. Puts a lot of strain on coder admin who might not be able to commit in the same ways, even if they'd like to.

Yeah. I'd love to see an avenue of pure RP Gods somehow in the game. It be pretty neat to see!

• Kinda broadly, I actually think we should be looking more at shifting some stuff that's in orders to guilds instead.

They're more static, for one, they're designed around the idea of getting players together around a common lore grounding which is similar to orders just with stuff other than a god. Every org has the same amount, there's no issues with people taking leadership while a god isn't present. You also don't run into stuff like a god coming back and blowing them up to start fresh (has happened with orders)

Favours as a guild mechanism could be neat, for example. Same with shrines, though that might be because I imagine the revelry shrines being pop up bars. 
  • Similar junk situation with orders. Avatar goes inactive after divine player goes inactive. New divine player decides to strip some inactive avatars then goes inactive. Former avatar returns to game to no longer be an avatar and not have an active divine.