Simple questions?

Comments

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited December 2020
    Guild investible power RESEARCH. It isn't listed in the help file, so not sure what its limits are - is it appointed position only, or open to ranks as well?

Wait, is this even actually an investible power, or for some reason locked to GL only? I remember asking about it during guild position shuffling a while ago, but don't recall what response was given, if any.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • There is a forum thread with a list of nouns.

Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• Eritheyl said:
    Guild investible power RESEARCH. It isn't listed in the help file, so not sure what its limits are - is it appointed position only, or open to ranks as well?

Wait, is this even actually an investible power, or for some reason locked to GL only? I remember asking about it during guild position shuffling a while ago, but don't recall what response was given, if any.

This is an investible power (although you probably shouldn't do it). It allows for 3 new commands: RESEARCH START <type>, RESEARCH END [CONFIRM], and RESEARCH ADVANCE.
    The first starts a new type of research (everyone has done this), the second destroys the current research and puts you back to level 1 (given the cost of research, no guild is likely to do this.) and the third advances the level (given that everyone should be at level 5 in all 3 research paths, no one is going to do to this either unless we get more levels or some guild decides they want to start over with a different path).
    With how all but celest picked the same 3 paths shows you there is an optimal choice in research paths, so likely you don't need to invest this power at all.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Gaudiguch chose the Nature path as one of theirs, they occasionally summon their fae.
  • Ah hah, thank you Shulamit. I didn't use the proper magic forum search keywords. I swear, the search for these SUCKS harder than space.
    Ayisdra said:
    Eritheyl said:

This is an investible power (although you probably shouldn't do it). It allows for 3 new commands: RESEARCH START <type>, RESEARCH END [CONFIRM], and RESEARCH ADVANCE.
    The first starts a new type of research (everyone has done this), the second destroys the current research and puts you back to level 1 (given the cost of research, no guild is likely to do this.) and the third advances the level (given that everyone should be at level 5 in all 3 research paths, no one is going to do to this either unless we get more levels or some guild decides they want to start over with a different path).
    With how all but celest picked the same 3 paths shows you there is an optimal choice in research paths, so likely you don't need to invest this power at all.
    So you're telling me only the GL can put anomalies or commodities into the project item, and that isn't part of an investible power?

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Eritheyl said:

So you're telling me only the GL can put anomalies or commodities into the project item, and that isn't part of an investible power?

Anyone can put anomalies/comms/gold into the project. There is no power connected with that.
    Ayisdra said:
    Eritheyl said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Eritheyl said:

Anyone can put anomalies/comms/gold into the project. There is no power connected with that.
    Right you are, said person was getting their solstice coal mixed up with actual coal. Alas!

-

• can you hang an arti-dreamcatcher like a enchanted one?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• What's the demonym of ackleberry? Ackleberrian?
    Essence for influencing order realm mobs, what affects it besides rank and the Mark? Does being in a cult give you an essence boost (outside of supplicant's prayer) that isn't recorded?

-

• So it seems just being in a cult does, Eritheyl. I've tested with three cult members and three non cult members, and all the cult members moth influences are worth around 9 percent more than the non cult members, all other things being equal (everyone had a divine mark to use and a full divine tattoo) This is not using True Sermon in Veneration, which doesn't increase it anyway, we tested that ages it. It makes moths worth more esteem, but *not* essence.

So unlisted anywhere I can find, just being *in* a cult makes influencing the divine mobs worth more. Is this big or important? No, it's a very tiny problem. But it bothered the fuck out of me. And now it is as close to solved as possible.
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• Does anyone have an idea on what effects crafting with a dream mote can have?
  • Well, you can eat any of the OG ones you have, so you should be able to use them in cooking with no problem.
    I would assume they have some guild lines for how you can use them.
    So, it would have to be mostly made of mundane materials. 
    Since Dream motes tend to alook a bit like stars, you would likely be able to make something sparkle or be very shiny with it. Probably wouldn't be able to make something glow though.
    Maybe give is a subtle/faint surreal quality?
    Hmm, @Fates can correct me  if I am wrong on this?

Previously motes could be used for very, very subtle effects like a fading glow or a hard-to-place shimmer effect. There isn't an expressly written rule that I can find for the current age, so submitting a design will more than likely end with a divine review and hopefully some clarification on what limits are in place these days. Alternatively @Charites might pop in and give us some clarity, please thanks? o:)

-

• Yeah, there used to be more specific examples. Particularly for what effects essence can actually have. Even if it's not an exhaustive list but yeah just examples, that'd be handy to have again.
  • edited February 2021
    @Orael @Ianir there a chance of getting a dump of all the defense lines in the game into a text file or something? Ideally sorted by skill, but I'd take just a raw list. It's asinine for people attempting to throw together a list of all the defenses for those who are trying to make a universal defup system improving qol for your players to have to do this by hand every time and hoping they can access all the specs/classes.
  • No, def lines are strewn throughout code, no easy way for us to do it
  • Figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.
  • Is there a straightforward way to detach gnome weapon boxes of one type and replace with boxes another type? Or is the solution here to have multiple gnome weapons?
  • Multiple gnome weapons or pliers is my understanding.
  • Jatius said:
    Multiple gnome weapons or pliers is my understanding.
    As someone who owns pliers, I think I'd have to argue that multiple weapons is better. Get a different weapon type for different damage types, then you just need to change the weapon noun rather than making something to swap around all the gearboxes. Not worthwhile otherwise unless you really love just one variety of gnome weapon or have it special customised and want to use that one exclusively.
  • Or just write a quick alias to do it. Not overly difficult. I've also got pliers, and I also opted for the two separate weapons route though. Goop coming out my ears!
  • What are the chances that the consumable pliers can remove all gearboxes at once (rather than 1 consumable per gearbox)? 
  • Pretty sure consumables can only remove one attached thing at a time, no matter what they are. But haven't tested that out.
  • Can shopkeeper dwellers be linked to city shops or just manse shops?
  • Changelog Entry #2405
    o Prepared Bacon for Homeward Transportation.

What does this mean?

• Tylwyth said:
    Changelog Entry #2405
    o Prepared Bacon for Homeward Transportation.

What does this mean?
    It's a reference to an older Sims loading screen! The person writing the changelog said it felt weird to put through one with only a single item in it. 
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • Oh ok! I certainly approve of bacon at home. And on the way to home, and eating out. and eating in general.

• edited May 2021
    Philosophical question:  Are illithoids humanoids with a worm living in them, or are they worms living inside a humanoid?  Which part is the actual "illithoid," which carries the personality/memories/soul/etc?  Is it established in the lore either way? 

Unless it's academically wrong I was thinking playing an illithoid who believes the latter and factors that into their worldview would be fun.  I'm a worm.  The body is just how I get around.