Simple questions?

1169170171172173175»

Comments

• Kark said:
    Philosophical question:  Are illithoids humanoids with a worm living in them, or are they worms living inside a humanoid?  Which part is the actual "illithoid," which carries the personality/memories/soul/etc?  Is it established in the lore either way? 

Unless it's academically wrong I was thinking playing an illithoid who believes the latter and factors that into their worldview would be fun.  I'm a worm.  The body is just how I get around.
    If you read the histories, you'll see how mortal souls from the sharded Elder Gods are effectively the "true vessel" and can be reborn into new bodies via reincarnation and such.

The illithoid worm is the equivalent of that soul (if a player illithoid dies, it is "the inner worm of Blah" rather than "the soul of Blah" that wanders about). It is the "actual illithoid" in the same essence that the soul is the actual mortal, and in some ways for both the body is more an extension of that by which to traverse the world and interact with physical matter.

Depending on how attached you feel with your body, I think you can argue either way, but there should be little reason for you not to roll with your perspective as you currently hold it. Illith Herself was oft compared to a giant serpent, so the worm-shards that just happen to inhabit star-shaped vessels for convenience makes some fair sense.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Kark said:
    Philosophical question:  Are illithoids humanoids with a worm living in them, or are they worms living inside a humanoid?  Which part is the actual "illithoid," which carries the personality/memories/soul/etc?  Is it established in the lore either way? 

Unless it's academically wrong I was thinking playing an illithoid who believes the latter and factors that into their worldview would be fun.  I'm a worm.  The body is just how I get around.

I think that both views are actually feasible.  Illithoid have been left with a lot of leeway / question marks around them!  The one thing that seems unlikely to me is that the worm itself actually does the verbal talking - but believing that the worm is the one making the body's mouth speak?  There's no real way to prove or disprove that, is there?
    Generally speaking, the worm is considered the Illithoid's version of a soul, and there's a lot of philosophical debate about what a soul is too.  Is the soul the one animating/driving the body?  I really don't see why the same questions wouldn't apply to an illithoid, with the same open-ended nature and ability to believe whatever you'd like.  It's just a little different because there's an actual physical manifestation involved!
  • How do Fulcruxes manifest upon the return of an Elder Person 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    A few customization-related questions:

I'm looking at either a Custom Pet or a Dweller. I have no combat aspirations, so don't necessarily need the Pet unless it offers some additional flavour things the Dweller does not. It looks like, outside of the Pet's combat abilities, Inventory Dwellers have much of the same capabilities, but I'm not sure on a couple of things

1. Can Inventory Dwellers be dropped in a room and follow its owner around?
    2. How quickly do they reset to your inventory? Will I have to constantly drop it from my inventory so it's visible in the room, or will it stay out for a good while?
    3. The help file implies the Dwellers can move with custom entrance and exit messages just like Pets can -- right?
    4. Because of Beastmastery abilities, Pets need to be able to be ridden as mounts and have some legs. Do Dwellers have the same, similar, or different requirements? Is there more latitude in designing strange Dwellers?
    5. If all I want is the neat creature/thing with custom entry and exit messages, custom death reaction, a few other random reactions, sentience, and the ability to be visible and follow me around, is the Inventory Dweller the best option?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    A few customization-related questions:

I'm looking at either a Custom Pet or a Dweller. I have no combat aspirations, so don't necessarily need the Pet unless it offers some additional flavour things the Dweller does not. It looks like, outside of the Pet's combat abilities, Inventory Dwellers have much of the same capabilities, but I'm not sure on a couple of things

1. Can Inventory Dwellers be dropped in a room and follow its owner around?
    2. How quickly do they reset to your inventory? Will I have to constantly drop it from my inventory so it's visible in the room, or will it stay out for a good while?
    3. The help file implies the Dwellers can move with custom entrance and exit messages just like Pets can -- right?
    4. Because of Beastmastery abilities, Pets need to be able to be ridden as mounts and have some legs. Do Dwellers have the same, similar, or different requirements? Is there more latitude in designing strange Dwellers?
    5. If all I want is the neat creature/thing with custom entry and exit messages, custom death reaction, a few other random reactions, sentience, and the ability to be visible and follow me around, is the Inventory Dweller the best option?
    1. Yes

2. Not sure, though my issue is more keeping them following becuase they don't auto follow after deliveries.

3. Yep
    One by one, the petals forming Enfys dance away from their form and off to the out, quickly leaving without a trace.

4. This is my dweller 
    A vibrant collection of countless leaves and petals swirl around as if caught in an impossible breeze, their tight dance forming their mass into a vague star-like shape similar to that of most mortal races, though it is small even when compared to a faeling. Their leaves and petals wildly vary in shape, size, and colour, never staying in the same place for even the blink of an eye, the only constants of their eternally shifting form being the twin orbs of silvery green light that float where eyes would be.

5. Personally yes. Dwellers are pretty great and they have a marked advantage over beasts, imo, because there's no limits such as with stables/only one out/etc. I got Enfys to have a companion that was always present because Malach would need to be summoned and I couldn't use any of my other beasts without swapping him out.
  • edited November 2021
    This is @ all the writers in the game.

I am in the middle of writing a sequel to my story called The Death of Vortex (tl;dr, what if Vortex became the plane it was "destined" to be before Dynara dipped). I've been stalling for a long time (months) but ideas have been percolating in my head.

One of the plot points in this sequel was that Gaudiguch was going to come under attack from below by [redacted] that would be causing a widespread sleeping sickness - eventually fatal. In fact, one of the first infected was going to be one of the dancers from the Palace of Pleasure.

The problem is... @Ein 's awakening arc that just occurred has similar elements to what I had planned in my book. I don't want to be accused of like...co-opting something the admin wrote into my own IG book. Do you guys think I should completely rewrite the plot point, or just move forward with it and if anyone asks, I tell them I had the idea for something involving doom, sleeping, and threat-below-Gaudiguch before Ein's awakening event began/was revealed to the public?

EDIT: And just fyi, I'm definitely not intending to be accusatory or salty - I'm just curious as to how to proceed (and a little bummed out that I didn't get my ideas onto "paper" quickly enough)
  • @Afrit

It is a common trope and the Palace of Pleasure/the dancers within are a common and significant enough subject that I think you will be fine. People will reach the same conclusions independently when working from the same source material, and my advice is just to write the best story you can, don't worry about what I or anybody else is doing similarly. This is only a minor similarity as it is anyway.

Good luck with your writing, I look forward to reading it when it is done.
  • So,I was doing the basic power quest for celest just recently and this happened after I had gotten 9 glass globes from jethri and handed him the last/10th sand:

Jethri, the Glassblower exclaims, "Oh, but I don't have all my equipment ready! What a shame!"
    Jethri, the Glassblower passes a handful of golden sand back to you."

He did this multiple times and then I got Kistan to give him the sand and he made a glass glove that Kistan then gave to me.
    Just curious why that happened?