Lusternian AMA

Comments

1. What flower do you associate with your character?
    2. If your character could give advice to their younger self, what would they say?
    3. What "impossible" dream does your character have?
    4. What is your character's favorite place in Lusternia?
    5. Describe who your character is in one sentence. No cheating with semicolons!

1. Violets! I associated them with her even before discovering candied violets in Crumkane's divine realm, but it was a happy coincidence. 
      2. Do not be afraid to reach out to people. There are kind people everywhere.
      3. Hmmmm. Maybe becoming an bearer of the Beauty seal? Or something? I don't know! Chundae isn't really one for "goals", hehehe.
      4. Aaaaaaah! Many favorites. The swamp with the willows in Crumkane's realm, the apiaries in Gaudiguch, the garden in Mount Zoaka. 
      5. A ditzy but earnest furrikin who wants everyone to be happy!
  • Back with more AMA questions!
    1. What is the best gift your character has received, and why?
    2. What makes your character the villain in someone else's story?  >:)
    3. If your character was listed on TV Tropes, which entries would they be listed under?
    Avatar by Sam Smith. You can follow her on Twitter here.
  • Lantra said:
    Back with more AMA questions!
    3. If your character was listed on TV Tropes, which entries would they be listed under?

1. Two answers: a mischievous dark fae dagger designed by Regat, and the wedding armband Esei wears 9 times out of 10 designed by Ethna. First one is because Regat was the first person who saw Esei as a person worth knowing and caring for (at least from Esei's perspective), and because Regat was one of the first people Esei actually called a friend; this dagger now serves as Regat's gravestone in Esei's manse after he retired. The armband because it's an awesome design and, of course, the one Ethna gave to them at their wedding.
    2. Usually one of two ways: by being the complete antithesis of everything another character stands for whether its through their actions or just their allegiance to the Wyrd, or by being the worst nuisance possible. Sometimes both at the same time!
    3. There's probably more but the ones I've noticed on TV Tropes: Shadow Archetype, Soft-Spoken Sadist, Trauma Congaline (they don't want to talk about it...), Troll, Used To Be A Sweet Kid, Beware The Quiet Ones, Beyond Redemption (played straight pretty much everywhere but Glomdoring, especially re: Light), and maybe a combo of Villains Blend In Better and Villains Act, Heroes React. At least, that's what I think; sometimes it's hard to take into account the difference of what I want Esei to be like and what they actually act like.

pronouns: they/them
  • edited September 2021
    Lantra said:
    1. I still really like Saran's Ae epithet from Elcryion (kept it up for like 16 years) even if no one else actually knows what it means.
    2. The certain faith that Serenwilde is right and all the other nations are wrong. I don't think it's even really much of a secret that Saran would quite happily see every other nation in the basin destroyed because in his ideal world there are only Seren-like nature communes living in harmony with the different natural spaces they call home.
    3. Maybe Blue-and-Orange Morality along with the belief he'd be The Extremist was Right/Well-Intentioned ExtremistNature Hero where Nature is not Nice who would actively work towards bringing about Gaia's Vengeance Proper and kinda thinks the ultimate goal for mortals should be to find a path to become a Nature Spirit either in the footsteps of the Ancestors or Glinshari.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Lantra said:

1. There are two bracelets Aeldra carries and that she never talks about, both given to her by people she had a very close connection to that no longer are. Aeldra remembers them by always wearing these two, despite them not fitting together nor being particularly her style.
    2. I think there's certainly some other Characters that consider Aeldra a mayor roadblock in their goals and ambitions, perhaps especially those within her own current dwelling, as she tends to stick being herself and following her own believes to a fault.
    3. Tropes are a tough one for me, so I would say not sure, but am sure there are quite some who would fit her nicely.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • edited January 2022
    Many (if not all) of these are probably repeats!

1. Who is your favorite NPC (alive or dead) and why?
    2. Which one (only one!) IRL song is THE defining song of your character in this moment of their journey?
    3. If your character were a glass of something, what beverage would they be?
    4. What is your favorite easter egg you've discovered in Lusternia (in room descriptions, areas, a line of NPC dialogue etc)?
    5. What is the wildest Lusternian theory or headcanon you have?
    6. Do you have a faceclaim or voiceclaim for your character, and if so, who?
  • 1. Filib Shee-Slaugh. He's just the cutest, and also has gone through some character development recently which really just gives me the warm fuzzies. Weirdly, he's also been one of Esei's confidants through their journey in Lusternia, for [redacted] reasons.
    2. At this point of their journey... hmm... Hard to say. This version of the Jaws theme fits generally, though I think there's some gems in their playlist if you care to listen.
    3. Tea, of course.
    4. You ask me this question and suddenly I can't remember a single easter egg...
    5. In the words of Gurashi, Darvellan is "actually a Lucidian posing as a Goloth posing as Darvellan." Or possibly "Mysrai is literally a swarm of bees."
    6. Alas, I've none. Maybe myself for the voice, but I think Esei has a weird Fantasy Glomdoring Accent I'll never be able to quite capture. Their voice is also considerably deeper than mine at any given point.

pronouns: they/them
  • Lisaera said:

2. Which one (only one!) IRL song is THE defining song of your character in this moment of their journey?
    4. What is your favorite easter egg you've discovered in Lusternia (in room descriptions, areas, a line of NPC dialogue etc)?
    All hail the quizmaster, long may you reign. 

1. The guest librarian we had a couple of solstices back. I love her vibe.
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMIbVFCz7A
    3. Kawhe.
    4. Gosh, I can't quote it. But the one with recharging a cube.
    5. Goodness. Theory time, but the good one is staying on my boards. So- if the void equates to what we would consider as space irl, wouldn't Mama Night's presence be the dominate force there? Yes, light can travel within it, but darkness dominates.
    6.  I don't have one offhand, taking suggestions.
  • edited January 2022
    In response to Lisaera’s questions:

1. Answered before but it’s still Edwin d’Vanecu. A scientist-necromancer who is also hilariously quintessential millennial.  Second place would probably goto the nereids as a whole (want to tour one around Mag sometime!).

2. Will have to think back on this.

3.  A tall glass of whiskey.

4. There are quite a few I’ve found. That the new penguin quest lets you purposefully push the penguin in is probably up there. The "hang in there" kitten in the Gutter is also a classic.

5. Personal headcanon: After the scar event 2 ascensions ago when the seal bearers all saw alternate versions of themselves, then Geochemist Uzriel reached out to other versions of himself and learned necromancy from one of them (while teaching them geomancy). 

6. Tom Hardy's voice. He’s even had that muffled mask voice in several roles.
  • Lisaera said:

1. Queen Maeve, because [---] but also since she's both influenced and influential in her ties to Nature. I happen to like her storylines. I like Olikai Clawheart too. She has scholar's curiosity and willingness to experiment but also is gentle in delivering her wisdom.
    2. Never Look Away (Vienna Teng) I linked this elsewhere. At the time, it felt like Xiran was among the audience, but it's like she's getting to sing it to others now, so that's been fun.
    3. Barley tea, cold or hot.
    4. "It would be impertinent to join Lisaera to your coven" of most recent discovery.
      Faethorn and Daeiv ma'Mornhai's descriptions are fun.
    5. Lisaera, Maylea, and Elfenehoala's essence are also part of [---for different reasons]. This means that Serenwilde may draw on them as much as they do spirits, Fae, and the land with that invocation. In the other direction, the gods can also draw energy. They're like Kiakoda but Elder level, so the increase in power wouldn't be noticeable until Serenwilde takes over more of the Basin. Since pre-existing connections to Ethereal are ideal sources to anchor footholds, we should /ramble
    6. Potentially annoying raspy-sweet sound that can drop to serious grandma voice. At her normal size, Ayaka Saito voice acting as Sohma Momiji (anime Fruits Basket). TitanPaku Romi singing with Hitsugaya's voice (Bleach).
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• I'm just going to skip the ones or answer sorta dumb that my Kalliope-brain feels too newly formed to answer properly..
    1: Fraesic??? 5 5 5 3 3 Am I right?
    2: I'm too embarrassed to say and I probably have said the same song about another character so I'm just going to not out myself. (It's probably something by Marina and the Diamonds I am sorry)
    3. Pink Champagne Punch
    4. I should pay more attention.
    5. I really ought to have something to put here, I'm always.... Doing this. Empty head.
    6. It's probably a vector between Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe voice wise. I sort of always pictured a bit of transatlantic affection that might be a bit of drama on her part, but a little higher and more airy than Audrey. The archetype I had in mind at least was like 40s-50s bombshell/pinup. So there's a few valid choices faceclaim wise. I can't really pick one so I won't.
  • Lisaera said:

1) Latifa, quite the kindred spirit. Uzi stole it but totally the nereid, they have this awesome blend of vanity, fickleness and murderous tendencies I just love them.

2) Not like super specifically relevant in the same context but a lot of lines in this song are super fitting for Sapphira's inner battles and resolve.

3) A margarita. Sweet, sour and salty all in one. May give you a headache, but still tasty?

4) I really get excited when you find random little tidbits that tie into other stories but that's not so much easter eggs. The message 'you seem to be talking to yourself' is great. And the classic 'lmao' emote.

5) I don't know about wild but I really enjoy the firm belief of Drocilla being a victim and wildly misunderstood, and the gods who despise the 12 still (it's been centuries and you all went to the void in the end, get over it already /rp) are now the actual villains. It's fun to debate!

6) Someone with a strong yet still melodious voice, Karen Gillan kinda ticks both face and voice (minus the accent, Sapphira would only have a noble sort of drawl) I think?

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Lisaera said:

1. I've always had a soft spot for a few NPCs, but as far as a favorite, I'm probably going to go with Carleon. The whole area is hammy as heck, which makes sense since it's all a puppet show, but he's somehow both ham and straight man, and I appreciate the representation.
    2. At this moment? Pick something from Encanto. Probably "Dos Oruguitas"
    3. Medicinal tea. Bitter and a little unpleasant at first, but probably good for you in the long run.
    4. As much as the quest leading up to it grinds my gears, Marylinth's reactions to the scroll and doll are cathartic in a weird way.
    5. Okay, so Luce has this headcanon that the forms individual mortals and demidivine take are influenced by the will of the Divine from whom they sharded. For most individuals this doesn't mean much, but he's got this theory that every now and then Bollikin's 'spirit' gets confused and accidentally places a rabbitkin in a family of foxkin, or vice-versa. Because He had a lot to keep track of.
    6. Face? No, Luce's an abomination unto Nuggin, but voice? I've recently rediscovered a talented actress by the name of Erica Mendez. She's the voice of Hao in the new Shaman King remake Netflix put out, and Puck in Re:Zero. That's the voice I've always pictured for Luce.

• Sapphira said:

6) Someone with a strong yet still melodious voice, Karen Gillan kinda ticks both face and voice (minus the accent, Sapphira would only have a noble sort of drawl) I think?

My mental image for her voice was something like Emma Stone's Cruella role.
  • Uzriel said:
    Sapphira said:

My mental image for her voice was something like Emma Stone's Cruella role.
    Her as Cruella is also incredibly appropriate!
  • Lisaera said:

1.  Hethklyff Ruag and his horrible relationship bring me wicked delight

3. lemonade

4. never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down

5. Mysrai is Bees

6. Never really thought about it!
  • edited January 2022
    Lantra said:
    1. Ashira keeps crafting things that fit my aesthetic perfectly. A shield shaped like a heart, a perfect violin. I guess it has to be one of those.
    2. I don't have a great answer to this one yet. Maybe I should start bullying someone........

• Lisaera said:

1. I think at the moment, that squire in the hidden area on Spectre Isle. He goes through a whirlwind of emotions during his quest.

2. If it counts, the song of Lorelei... :grin: It's technically just a poem, but it's a story that I drew a lot of inspiration from, and my bard song is (very) loosely based on it.

3. Sparkling water with kind of a bitter cherry flavor.

4. Eh, for this character it's too hard to say yet.

5. I can't answer this yet...

6. There was a particular fish that her description is heavily based on... but I don't remember which one anymore. 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Lisaera said:

1. Adasser. Full stop. His transformation from an in-game joke into one of the best characters I've had the privilege of interacting with was incredible. (But the story about his creation is gone! :( )
    2. Right now? The theme for the Book of Boba Fett
    3. Dirty river water. Not like "wouldn't drink that dirty", but you know what you're getting when you drink it.
    4. Can't think of one at the moment. I need to pay more attention.
    5. That curios are insidious puppets of an unseen malevolent force, and one day, they're all going to come to life and try to kill us all.
    6. I like to think Ev sounds like Gandalf, but he's probably sliding into Radagast.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2022
    1. This is difficult, I find it hard to get attached to them, and I'm sure Ephemerals don't count. Dominique Nightshade is my final answer.
    2. Absolutely, without question, White Whale. Its a sad part of the journey, for sure! :smile:
    3. Tea, probably something Esei made, so I can at least pretend to be Shee-Slaugh
    4. I'm not sure I understand references enough to have found something like this. I'm bad at quests.
    5. I don't know if this is "wild" per se, but, Zarhalt is still alive.
    6. I don't, alas. Until Gurashi drew art, I didn't even know what Tau looked like in my head. Aphantasia!

• Lisaera said:

1. Unsurprisingly, Farella, I think you already know why :D but she is an amazing war hero that had a complicated life leading the forest through one of the harshest times it's had. Even though the end of her journey (so far?) still makes me sad.
    2. Right now Dance of Death by Inkubus Sukkubus, it feels so Listener focused but reminds me of Saran well... being a storyteller and ritualist.
    3. Not super sure here, but a variation of the Vodka Collins called a Nigel Collins comes to mind mostly because it uses some bush tucker called lemon myrtle, just got to get the right balance heh. 
    4. Adassers note is pretty cute heh
    5. Theory/want, taking everything seren has and expanding Seralem, it may be possible to create our own Maeve free from the influence of the taint
    6. If we're going eternally ageless and human looking then Hale Appleman maybe, or Peter Capaldi. The voice seems somewhere between more towards Hale's side.