Waste Facility Zombies

13»

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

These quote things are not working for me.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure how the entirety of the quest works. What I know is that when zombies are released, you can find zombies on all levels of the area, where as when it's closed you get viscanti, which are fewer in number and summon obnoxious guard mutts that don't drop any gold.

• Celina said:

These quote things are not working for me.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure how the entirety of the quest works. What I know is that when zombies are released, you can find zombies on all levels of the area, where as when it's closed you get viscanti, which are fewer in number and summon obnoxious guard mutts that don't drop any gold.

The story you are provided with through the mobs is very scant, so I will try to re-tell it as best I can, without any info from the event it was released through.

Basically, the Waste Facility it being used to seal away all the people who died in the eruption of the Taint back from the Fall of the Celestine Empire (i.e., zombies). The Zombie Overlord Rhulwain just happens to be an especially powerful one, so he gets a name and is the snowflake zombie. The viscanti are there to keep the place under lock-down. Rhulwain wants his brethren to be out and free.

There are four gates in the Waste Facility. The zombies are restricted to the bottom floor. You break the panel to open the gate, and the zombies can come up to the next level. I've never bothered to try to let them out, but it seems like the green flasks of goo that the viscanti guards carry have something to do with it. You can get those by either influencing the guards OR killing them.

Once all the gates are open, apparently all you need to do is kill Afmecia. As soon as you hit Afmecia, you will be brought to a special, separate room to fight, where no one else can interfere. Once Afemcia is dead, the quest is done. Congratulations. This results in zombies on the highways.

In order to seal the zombies, you need cogs. There is a different material of cog for each floor: copper, steel, brass, and iron. Or something like that. Anyways, the key point here is that you need three of a single variety of cog to seal a gate. The gates -must- be sealed in descending order, from the top of the Facility to the bottom. One cog is always carried by one of the maggots by the trash chute (on that floor). One is always carried by a zombie (as Phoebus outlined previously). One is always carried by a viscanti guard on that floor. However, you MUST influence the guard in order to get their cog. They never drop the cog if you or someone else kills them. Only the flask. Don't ask why.

Each time you seal a gate, you prevent more zombies from spawning on that floor. But for some reason, the highway zombies will continue to spawn anyways. Once you seal all of the gates, restricting the zombies in the Facility to the bottom floor, you must kill Rhulwain. He will not move you to a special room, but will instead stay out in the open where anyone else can walk in and mess with you. He will also call five zombie overseers to help protect him as soon as he is hit.

Then, after you have his corpse, you have to give it to Afmecia. If Afmecia is dead, you have to wait. And you will need to kill Rhulwain. Again.

And only after all of that will you prevent zombies from spawning on the highways.

Now, here's the real kicker. At the moment, even if the zombies are out on the highway, you can get the honours line for the quest and the goodies just by killing Afmecia again. I've bugged it, but we'll see what the admin response is. At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if it came back as Not A Bug, because perpetual zombie apocalypse seems to be the intention behind the way this quest was designed.

I'll say it again: I'm not touching this quest again until it is changed. It's utterly ridiculous.
    Ha, that's how I got the honors line. I just killed Afmecia as my normal bashing routine.
  • MoiMoi
    edited November 2012
    So, why not make it so that the highway zombies go away once you seal at least one floor? Then you could have a compromise position where 75% of the zombies spawn but the highway is left clear.
    Because until an argument can be made that spawning zombies is actually a detriment to the game..who cares? Like I said, I feel like an issue is being made out of nothing, and people are trying to make the game into care bear land .
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    An argument can (and has) been made for why spawning zombies is a detriment to the game.

You don't agree with it, which is fine, but an argument can be made for pretty much anything!
  • Xenthos said:
    An argument can (and has) been made for why spawning zombies is a detriment to the game.

You don't agree with it, which is fine, but an argument can be made for pretty much anything!
    Indeed it can. Xenthos is a detriment to the game, because when he kills mag newblets, they feel sad :(.... So if we get rid of the zombies, let's get rid of Xenthos.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    They just tried that. :(
  • Woohoo! It's no longer my character getting all the heat from Mag. Go, Xenthos! 
    A defensible argument. Something that can actually be quantified or linked to evidence of some sort.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited December 2012
    Bringing this one up again.

While I love the fact they roam just about anywhere, is there a chance we can get them out of Newton? I mean really, you don't stand a chance if you're in there.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• As has been pointed out before, zombies don't aggro on those below level.. was it 70 or 80? Either way, far higher than Newton. Sure, there's the risk of newbies attacking the zombies, thinking they're just normal fodder, and that's a good enough reason to get them out there, but at least it's not a "doom-amd-gloom" scenario.
  • Morkarion said:
    Bringing this one up again.

While I love the fact they roam just about anywhere, is there a chance we can get them out of Newton? I mean really, you don't stand a chance if you're in there.
    The Fates will take care of them if they wander in there from here on out.