Major Nexus Update Coming

We're finally ready to give a sneak peek at our next project. Our team has spent the last year rewriting Nexus from the ground up. The new version will include several exciting features. Read on and learn what to expect and check out a few screenshots to see how things are progressing.

Here is the shortlist of the new features:
  • Mobile, stand-alone versions of the client for Android and iOS. 
  • A stand-alone desktop version. No need to play in your browser.
  • Edit settings while not logged into your character.
  • Add characters to the client to easily manage them.
  • Auto-login options. Especially handy on mobile.
  • Add and play third-party games to the client. Yes, you will be able to play almost any MUD from the Nexus client. 
  • Settings save on the cloud across all clients. Edit your settings on the desktop version and use them in the mobile app.
  • All IRE games can be played in a single client. 
  • The client is faster and more responsive.  
  • Settings from your current characters are automatically ported to the new client. They are stored separately, so don't worry about corrupting your setups in the current version of Nexus.
Here is a link to a few screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/FulHaT3

We will be releasing the browser, desktop, and android versions within the next few weeks for you to start experimenting with. The iOS version is about ready as well, we just have to finish jumping through the hoops to get it listed.

Comments

• Can't wait to break the iOS version 
  • edited January 2022
    Very exciting news. I am wondering how much backwards compatibility my existing Crystal packages will have, and how much work it'll take to revise them. If there's going to be a beta test or anything, consider me interested. Crystal is used by a modest number of people and it'd be awesome to be able to offer them a version that'll just keep working through the transition.
  • Any idea on minimum requirements for iOS release?
  • Lendren said:
    Very exciting news. I am wondering how much backwards compatibility my existing Crystal packages will have, and how much work it'll take to revise them. If there's going to be a beta test or anything, consider me interested. Crystal is used by a modest number of people and it'd be awesome to be able to offer them a version that'll just keep working through the transition.
    We have worked pretty hard to make sure everything functions exactly the same as far as settings go. I don't doubt that there will be lots of bugs, however.

We will be making the client available on the IRE website within a few weeks, so everyone will be able to test it and send feedback for a while before we go live with it. We will also keep the old version of nexus up for those who prefer that. 
  • Lawrence said:
    Any idea on minimum requirements for iOS release?
    I am not exactly sure about that right now as we have not tested it as much as the other versions. As soon as we know, we will pass the info along.
  • Any chance run_function can be updated (or has been) to return values? It can be worked around but it'd just be really nice
  • Saran said:
    Any chance run_function can be updated (or has been) to return values? It can be worked around but it'd just be really nice
    We can. Once we start the beta test, please submit that as an idea and we can work on getting that in.