Designs/Cartels/Designers

So, I've been thinking about designs and how they can be improved, so I figured I'd toss up a thread with all the ideas.

• Enable cartels to permit other cartels to craft that specific design. For instance, if cartel A is interested in a design belonging to cartel B, they'd be able to borrow it, possibly at a cost. It would be on a design basis, so it's not an "all or nothing".
  • Allow individuals to own designs. They wouldn't be able to submit a design themselves; all the submitting would still have to go through a cartel, but once it's been approved and is ready for crafting, the cartel would be able to transfer a design to a person. It would only be transferrable to the designer.
    • Expand the above idea to also apply to personal designs/people. So a cartel would be able to lend out a specific design to a specific person, and a cartel would be able to borrow a design belonging to a person.
  • Introduce a gold outlay for all crafted items (it would have to be relatively small; say 100 gold for a ring). This gold is split equally between the cartel the design belongs to and the designer. If it's a personal design, all gold would go to the owner/designer. If it's a "true" public design (i.e. not shared to the general public by a cartel or a person), half the gold is lost.
  • Allow cartels and individuals to share designs to the general public. This would not cause half the gold to be lost, and would really be done in order to give a wider exposure to their designs.

Comments

• edited November 2012

Ssaliss said:
    • Allow cartels and individuals to share designs to the general public. This would not cause half the gold to be lost, and would really be done in order to give a wider exposure to their designs.

A variation of this: allow cartels the option to toggle a privacy setting on and off, and allow the public to go to a room Hall of Records, or whatever, and enter a command to view all the designs available in that cartel. The amount of time it takes to communicate the choices available to a client who wants a full body tattoo is ridiculous.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Maybe have an option to keep your cartel designs private if you don't want people snooping through them, or allow public viewing per the above. A better way IC to list designs than doing an ooc pastebin link or detailing the 50 designs that match what they're after would be awesome.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **

A public hub for looking through designs of any trade would be absolutely divine, if that's the sort of thing that's being talked about up there.

I feel like a prat when someone flexes out to another trade for me, just to tell them, 'By the way I only need to look through designs'.

Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • The "share designs" wasn't to have others being able to look through them, but rather craft them, but I'd be perfectly fine with cartels opening up to allowing others to browse their designs too.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **

I was looking more towards Lerad's post, the rest of the raised points are sort of 'meh' for me.

I'm a designer, not a crafter, so I have very limited input to give here! :b

Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Just a thought, but cartels could make in game catalogues of their designs with a bookbinders help. Searching the designs might be a pain but you could list the short form on the first page and fit 49 (or more?) designs in it. One on each separate page. It might be a waste of space but you wouldn't have to scroll through all the hats to see the long from of the Zebra fedora, just read the page. And I've never seen anyone use up all 50 pages anyway. (Sets could be listed together too)

The biggest problems I see with this is the time consuming process of copying the designs into the book (but once you've done it once you can just copy the book right?) and actually having to have a physical copy to read it. Maybe you could publish it in a library?
  • Yes, people already do that. Copying it all over isn't really the biggest problem, it just reaaaally sucks when you have to go through and update it all over and over and over.
  • Publishing that kind of thing in a library is problematic. I know there was one person who did it years ago... copied all the tailoring designs and put it into the library. Granted there were tons of mistakes in there, but I don't know if it would have gone through well enough even if they were perfect. It was just a compilation of information that wasn't original info just to boost the library, and I could see how that would get criticised easily.

• Fania said:
    Publishing that kind of thing in a library is problematic. I know there was one person who did it years ago... copied all the tailoring designs and put it into the library. Granted there were tons of mistakes in there, but I don't know if it would have gone through well enough even if they were perfect. It was just a compilation of information that wasn't original info just to boost the library, and I could see how that would get criticised easily.
    You can always archive the book in your city or commune library without publishing it.

• Or sell copies in your shop.