Suggested changes to Sea Battle

I am sure this is not the first time someone has put forward suggestions for a change to the sea battle.  The problems with the sea battle are well known and at times quite frustrating.  Particularly the cay quest is easy to break (walk in and kill one creature that is needed) and impossible to defend; if you declare and kill you have status and they come right back (Celestians and Mag’s alike have this problem).  Magnagoran’s need to be enemied to the inner sea to compete in the sea battle AND need to travel through the inner sea to get to the cay (making one sided zerging way to easy).  My motivation is not to change to make this easier for Mag or Celest but to make it more of an event something that can be more challenging and interesting.

Here are my suggested changes to the battle.  Open for everyone to rip them apart but hopefully we can get some good discussion going.
-          One IG month out from the sea battle (when you can collect dolphins or sea wolves) an event starts.
-          You need to enter into this event before you can participate in any of the events that affect the sea battle (killing ladantine/lanikai,killing dolphins/sea wolves, completing the cay quest, killing creatures on cay etc etc).  
-          Entering into this event creates an open pk event for the sea battle while you are in the sea of despair, inner sea or on the cay.  It is a choice to enter into this battle, so you do so knowing what you are in for.
-          Spawn more of the key creatures needed to complete the cay quest (ie crabs, otters, starfish, spheres and elementals).  This will make the cay less susceptible to someone walking in and killing one crab to break the quest and make it more important to hold and defend the position (of course this will leave other defense areas like ladantine/lanikai open).
-          Change so that Ladantine respawns every game day just like Lanikai.
-          I believe doing this would allow create a good conflict point between Celest and Magnagora.  The event is called the ‘Sea Battle’ after all.  It would change how we defend and complete the battle.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

Comments

• Hmm. Granted, I know very little about the sea battle, but wouldn't just making dolphins not loyal solve a lot of the problems? Then Mags would be free to walk around the Inner Sea without fear of getting killed (unless they killed other stuff, of course), and there'd be no problems for them to get to the cay or Carai Caroo.

Not saying I wouldn't like seeing the event described above, but it looks a bit like shooting mosquitos with a cannon to me.
  • edited July 2013
    Shooting mosquitoes with a cannon is just absurd.   Lasers however?  Definitely possible. 

I'd agree with Ssaliss that small changes are both more desirable and more likely to be implemented.
  • Hey small changes have been suggested in the past here and nothing has been done.  Silvanus had a discussion on this a while back, possibly the old forums.  Honestly I doubt any Celestian or Mag would agree with making Dolphin or Sea Wolves not loyal.  That would make it absolutely impossible to defend them because you stay unenemied and cannot be touched.

Placeus - you are familiar with the battle.  Put other solutions on the table.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• Worth mentioning, Leo, is that the dolphins aren't the real parallel to the wolves - turtles are. Celest doesn't get enemied to anyone for making more turtles, but they do get enemied for making less wolves. Mag, on the other hand, gets enemied for both more wolves and less turtles.
  • And, to be frank, neither Celest nor Magnagora would need to agree with anything for the admins to make changes. Although I don't see how Mag would disagree with making dolphins non-loyal anyway... Celest might certainly object, but as was pointed out above, there is no clear parallel to the dolphins for Mag. Although perhaps the turtles could be made to require something loyal in the Sea of Despair, I suppose.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The last huge thread on the Sea Battle was requesting an entire overhaul of the Cay quests iirc.  That wasn't really "small" either.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited July 2013
    While we're fixing epic quests, for the love of [insert divine here] can we please have more than 3 sweet grass an hour exist?

It's utterly ridiculous how many things now require a resource so limited.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!