Considering Playing Again

So, I'm a long-time player of Aetolia, and I started this character out of boredom and a desire to really try to get into Lusternia a while back. Managed level 75, then I quit IRE altogether for a bit. I'd like to come back, but knowing as little as I do about Lusternia, it's a very overwhelming feeling when I log in. Admittedly, I've only logged in several times over the course of a week, each for a few minutes, but that's enough to make me go "what am I doing?!" and quickly QQ again. My chosen orgs feel a bit dead, too -- and friends who still play Lusternia confirm them as basically dead. This kind of makes things feel a bit harder.

Really, does anyone have some advice on getting back into Lusternia as a 73 year old, level 75 "newbie"? Should I seek out new orgs that have an actual, active population or stick it out with my current ones? Any advice on potentially returning and actually digging into Lusternia this time would be appreciated!

Comments

• Log in and start playing.  I don't think there's a single org that's "dead" nowadays.
  • Kio said:
    Log in and start playing.  I don't think there's a single org that's "dead" nowadays.
    It's much easier to learn things when an org has people, though. And I can definitely attest that there were times in Celest and Hallifax when I was the only one around.

With that said, you might want to consider moving to a more populated organization. Glomdoring, Gaudiguch, or Serenwilde come to mind. If you want to take things a bit slow and not get thrown into the fray immediately, the first two would definitely be a top choice. 
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • edited May 2013
    I know it's really not a good frame of reference, but at the times I've logged in, at varying times throughout the day, I've only seen one or two people in the Sentinels (and more often than not, no one). Maybe they aren't dead, but a friend's confirmation and my own perspective certainly make it feel that way.

@Alacardael: thanks, I'll look into those orgs!
  • The usual off-peak times hit certain orgs harder than others. But in general, you will find very little people in all orgs during said off peak times. I don't recommend making a move too hastily, since you may easily move to another org that is supposedly more populated, but which happens to have very little active or influential players online during your playtime anyway. Of course, as a new player, it would definitely be much better to have someone to talk to than no one.

It would be easier to give you advice to which org you might want to consider if you have an idea of your general play times. Generally speaking, all the orgs are pretty well populated during the couple of hours leading up to and immediately after the weave (midnight GMT), and the most off-peak hours are during the Oceanic evenings (12 hours after the weave). Magnagora usually has a stronger presence during the Oceanic peak.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm going to be honest, there aren't a lot of active Sentinels right now. Ushaara is moderately active, as is Alacardael. There's a lot of room for growth, and Hallifax has a pretty active population at times.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • The Sentinels and Hallifax in general have always been small. I put this to our generally more niche rp. Naturally I think we're awesome and you should stick with us despite our low population.

We're not "dead', though there's been rough times in the past. There's always up phases and down phases, and right now I think we're in an up phase.
  • Halli is definitely in a way better place than it was when I played... years ago? Can't remember. I'm really not sure why there aren't more sentinel combatants, though. Aeonics just seems like a massively fun skill.
  • Kio said:
    Halli is definitely in a way better place than it was when I played... years ago? Can't remember. I'm really not sure why there aren't more sentinel combatants, though. Aeonics just seems like a massively fun skill.
    Aeonics isn't actually that great for Warriors. The passive defenses are good, but offensively it provides very little. Aeonfield costs too much and is too difficult to take advantage of as a Warrior to be worth it 95% of the time. Timequake is impossible for Warriors (excepting comboing off a Researcher in groups). Echoes/Oracle can be a decent use of power, though.

That said, join Sentinels. They have Ushaara, and he is the nicest guy ever, and will love you if you bring in more rp to the guild.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Confirming Ushaara makes the Sentinels totally appealing and outweighs any drawbacks.

The Ebonguard are pretty solid these days, don't know much about the Serenguard but Rivius tries to keep things moving from what I hear, assuming you want to stick with Knight guilds. But the commune guilds are great few newer players because of the tertiary skill that gives you a great boost to both your offence and defence, which has benefits in both PvE and PK.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The Serenguard are still moving along. Sometimes we'll have 8-10 people on at a time, we're retaining some new ones, and very rarely do I log on and not find someone else on. Now that Ev is Chief of the Ritual again, expect to see more RP coming out of them (I will force them, muahaha!).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Then yes, both Commune Knight guilds are well worth joining for both activity and skills.

Ebonguard are still better though :p

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Thanks for the advice, guys, and sorry for the slow response. I have an idea of where I might like to play now!
  • I myself have tried to get into Lusternia again after around 8 months of inactivity. I have 3 characters that I got to get a feel for how the game works and for the different Orgs. The reason I stopped in the first place was waiting for weeks on end to have my progression checked for advancement, two occasions I actually had them verified but the aides then had to message the secretary to say I'd passed and both times the current overseers failed to update the project and I was stuck at GR1. Also at the times I play there's usually 1 or 2 others online but getting conversation on a guild channel was harder than getting water from a stone and so I'm close to just giving up again. My primary reason for playing IREs has always been the RP and I have found very little on anyone but Macon, though I had my heart set on a commune druid type character. I am determined this time to get an established character though, so hopefully I can try and get on at busier times to do so.
  • Macon said:
    I myself have tried to get into Lusternia again after around 8 months of inactivity. I have 3 characters that I got to get a feel for how the game works and for the different Orgs. The reason I stopped in the first place was waiting for weeks on end to have my progression checked for advancement, two occasions I actually had them verified but the aides then had to message the secretary to say I'd passed and both times the current overseers failed to update the project and I was stuck at GR1. Also at the times I play there's usually 1 or 2 others online but getting conversation on a guild channel was harder than getting water from a stone and so I'm close to just giving up again. My primary reason for playing IREs has always been the RP and I have found very little on anyone but Macon, though I had my heart set on a commune druid type character. I am determined this time to get an established character though, so hopefully I can try and get on at busier times to do so.
    The Blacktalon are getting a few newbies trickling in lately, and with the recent covenant with the Ebonguard, you'll generally have at least two of us to talk to, as well!
  • edited June 2013
    My Blacktalon is the most played character I have. I like it, but I'm usually the only one around with maybe 1 other on another plane. Right now I only get an hour or two around tea time GMT while I'm working  big stretch of nights. I look forward to meeting you properly.

The hardest thing about returning after an extended absence is re supplying myself. What I liked about Midkemia is that after a few weeks of inactivity, decay is frozen on all worn and wielded items. There's nothing worse than having to log in naked and unarmed with dead mounts. (Except replacing and linking vials :p)
  • Aww, I'm sure there are more than a few folks (myself, included) that would help you get the basics wrangled up again!
  • :P I had everything needed in my vault to outfit myself and make the vials, I just need to get my teardrops now. But it takes AGES to get set up and in the swing hehe!!
  • Im also considering making a full return, but if I did I would want to reestablish Arcanis somewhere. I've always liked Hallifax's wind and time themes,  buuut that was pretty much it :P. I might do it for Aerochemantics though.

There's  also finally trying my hand at using the Crow skill. I always did like crows and ravens ^^
  • I just got back on tonight...

More likely to play Camerick than Selverad, but this is what it gave me on the forum. 

What is the general state of the realm?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited July 2013
    If -any- of you need help getting restarted/outfitted in order to play again, message me here. I'd be more than happy to help :)

(In doing so, you formally acknowledge your acceptance to join into the Shaddus Collective (c) . If you don't know what this means, ask your nearby guide or mentor)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • If you are a new player or returning to the game and happen to be in Celest, I'd be more than happy to mentor and help you get started/re-oriented.  Just approach me in-game.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015