An Unexpected History Lesson / Musings on the Illithoid

After an awkward run-in with Xenthos during the course of my empowering the Orbs of Keph, I excused myself for some light questing. Xenthos appears again, begging for powderfruits as I am...and then again, romping through Tolborolla when I instead start working another angle. Irritating! But shortly after, so very interesting...

The first piece of conversation is drawn out over an influence/divert skirmish concerning a Lakeheart tae'dae.

---

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "Oh, I'm sorry. Were we not interfering in each others' affairs?"

You say, "You may have been interfering with my affairs, yes."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Oh, no. I've most definitely seen you with the kepherans. Long before I started following you."

You say, "The Hives are my responsibility, there is no need to take it so personally. But if it makes you feel better, then go on."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "Your responsibility, eh?"

You say, "That is the word I used, yes."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "You are aware that we are at war with the  Kepherans- a war that they themselves declared."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Zenobia is the embodiment of their entire foul race."

You say, "I would not deem a race bent on suppressing the direct influence of Soulless shards 'foul', but I do take pity on your warped views."

You say, "And pray that someday the Light may find its way into your wicked heart."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "Oh? Then how do you explain their assaulting our home, when we rejected the Illithoid and their pleas for assistance?"

You tilt your head curiously at Xenthos.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist smiles and says to you, "I feel that you do not know your history, here. The kepherans are the aggressors in this conflict."

You say, "Let us speak away from this irritatingly strong-willed tae'dae. I would like to hear this."

A natural rockery.
A light cover of clouds hides the sky in a sheet of white.
You see exits leading east and northwest.

Ilistala emerges from the shadows, curiously looking around.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Before the Undervault was discovered, there were rumblings on the surface. There still remains the skeleton of that monstrous worm that Lord Morgfyre has made the site of His Temple- one half of Illith."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "The other half splintered into the Illithoid."

You have emoted: Stefan retrieves his journal, furiously scribbling notes as he continues to listen.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Somehow, the illithoid managed to send a few of their more daring out to seek allies and assistance. Those of us above ground began to hear pleas for help, assistance."

You nod your head affirmatively.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Both in Celest and in Glomdoring- at the time, we were somewhat cordial towards one another."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Celest, obviously, was hearing from the kepherans. Glomdoring was hearing from the illithoid."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "We shared information with one another as  to what they were saying, and it was obvious that they were both lying. Misrepresenting what was happening in order to gain allies, without giving any information, any backing as to what they truly wanted- which was to drag us into a war between their two races."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "One that, frankly, we cared absolutely nothing for. After all, Nothing Matters but Glomdoring."

You have emoted: Brother Stefan pauses in his notation, giving Xenthos a long and thoughtful stare.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Glomdoring had not been assisting the mysterious "efforts" that Magnagora so enthusiastically embraced. Celest had actually just agreed to cease helping the bug who was crafting a wax pyramid when she declared that their efforts were finished."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "And, with that, kepherans poured into the Basin of Life- launching an assault upon the Glomdoring and Magnagora."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "A race whose existence we had known nothing of, and its very first act upon setting chittering mandible outside its tunnels was to declare war."

You furrow your brow in thought.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "They poured into the forest, bringing with them inferno beetles to light fires at every opportunity. They even dared assault Brother Crow Himself."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "And you wonder why we have such a bitter hatred for their very existence?"

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "The Illithoid? They are nothing. The only reason I care anything for them whatsoever is that they are the only way to keep Zenobia and the kepheran bugs in check. Other than that, they are worthless to us."

Xenthos shrugs helplessly.

You ask, "Is this a point of view shared largely by others of your Forest?"

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Mostly, yes. You won't find many of us hunting them, but it is not a banned activity. If some of our Forest want to slay illithoids, we do not object."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "That said, there are a few of us who just like killing those they find in territory that Avechna does not protect."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "But they are doing so less for the illithoid and more for the... "thrill," I suppose."

Xenthos creases his brow in a frown.

You nod solemnly.

Jotting down a few last characters, you say, "Very, very interesting..."

You say, "I was not aware there were such shades of grey when an otherwise clear-cut matter is concerned. I thank you for your insight, and will take to meditation upon this."

Xenthos purses his lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as he carefully gathers his thoughts.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "Well. Are you aware that most things have such shades?"

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "There is very little in this world that is clear-cut."

You say, "When the totality of the Soulless and their own are involved, I do not like to actively seek such shades. My own disposition is unchanging, in those regards."

Xenthos purses his lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as he carefully gathers his thoughts.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "The Soulless are, admittedly, tricky in that aspect. There is not much to commend them."

A wry smile spreads across Xenthos's face.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "The only thing that I can say is, observing some of the Illithoid- they have managed to actually make something of themselves. I know that Lord Elostian used to dissect them to determine what exactly they were, and whether they had managed to acquire a soul in the process. He was not able to find anything to disprove that theory- or prove it, either."

Xenthos creases his brow in a frown.

You lift your eyebrow slightly, curious.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "On the whole, their race is a rather psychopathic bunch. I prefer to have as little to do with them as possible."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "But every so often, one can run into an illithoid with a bit of a spark, something more than their base instincts."

You ask, "To suggest that they might in fact possess a soul, or some other font of morality to defy their nature?"

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "Something that you will also discover- the Divine are not all-knowing. Sometimes They will set Their minds on a subject, and nothing will change it."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "Some of the Divine are more curious, and do not wish to declare that a thing is something without examining it closely first- seeking an understanding of its true nature. Lord Elostian was one of these."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "It is a question that has existed since they were discovered. After all, the race exists, and they do not devour all- not even when their prison lies open to all and the kepherans enslaved beneath their whips."

Deep in thought, you lean your cheek on your hand.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "They are hideous, perhaps. Deranged, yes. But they do not pour out in their multitudes as Illith would have done- and in fact, attempted with that serpent which lays dead."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "They are more than they began as, just as any other splintered race is. And less, in other ways."

You say, "Out of a very mild curiosity, what is the aim of those illithoid quartered within the Prison? Is it solely to enslave the kephera, or is there more?"

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Primarily, to exist. Enslaving the kepherans is, to them, mostly a way to ensure that they are not locked in once more."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "But then, do not most beings wish to exist?"

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "And wish to be free?"

Waving his hand, Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Cthoglogg is perhaps a bit more deranged than the rest of them, in that he wishes to be closer to the Heart of Illith, to wield the power therein- but even when he does, he does nothing untoward with it."

You look undecided and say, "Perhaps they might garner my pity in these regards, were it not for their origins. However, if there is a soul to be found at all within them, my prayers to the Light that they might find salvation."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "I do not really say this to change your mind on them. I do not expect that to be accomplished. There is much to despise about the race. Still, they are not just a product of their origin, but also their emprisonment."

You nod your head slowly in understanding.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "If for the first centuries of a race's existence, they find themselves trapped in rock- unable to communicate with anyone else, anything else... unable to have even any ideas of a better way to live..."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says to you, "One is not really surprised that they have turned out the way they have."

You say, "And yet when Illith first gave rise to its progeny, what horrors would this world have been subjected to if these forebears were not contained? Undoubtedly the abominations have become more refined, many less bound by their own beginnings, but those first droves..."

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Such is also possible- but we will never know, I think."

Nodding softly, you say, "It is a strange thing to consider."

Xenthos nods his head at you.

Spirit Warden Xenthos An'Ryshe, the Ebon Strategist says, "Did you have anything else on these subjects you still have questions about?"

You let loose a long breath from your lungs, exhaling slowly.

You say, "Not at this time. Though again, thank you for your insight."

Xenthos nods his head at you.

Shadows swirl around Xenthos's arm as the Fingerblade of dha'Wyrden-cree shifts and turns around his hand.

Ilistala melds into the shadows, quickly disappearing from view.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I will admit, when I started bugging you, I was really hoping for you to ask why so that it would give an opening for some RP.  Thank you so much for obliging. :)
  • Xenthos said:
    I will admit, when I started bugging you, I was really hoping for you to ask why so that it would give an opening for some RP.  Thank you so much for obliging. :)
    I'm relieved I didn't waste the opportunity, it was a close one!