More historical House names for communes

edited July 2013 in Ideas

I've always envied how Magnagora has so many historical houses to pick from - there's like nine or ten already coded into the game, with their own areas, even. Celest, Halli and Gaudi have plenty of names to pick from thanks to the records of the Taint Wars. (Half the Halli historical house names come from the roll call, if I'm not mistaken.) Glomdoring and Serenwilde, meanwhile, have very limited names to choose from. Glomdoring has Stormcrow, Nightshade, and Slee-Slaugh. Serenwilde has Treeheart and Strongleaf, neither of which are very viable since we already know Jaryn of Caoimhe is Ellindel's last descendant, and Ellindel and Glinshari were hearth-mates. One could maybe make a case for Radella Airmid or Caradoc whats-his-name, but we don't know anything about them, and it's just going to be taking a mob's name.

I was thinking that maybe in future events/zone releases we could have more commune-friendly family names? Just to give players a reasonable array of choices to pick from. It really wouldn't be hard - it's just a name.

Edit: Forgot Lunseer, but having one choice still doesn't compare to having ten. *glares at Magnagora's oodles and oodles of Houses*
(clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Well, Glomdoring especially really isn't intended to have a lot of historical connection; the old forest died and the only names that carried forward are those who died (and managed to screw even their dying up).

Theoretically all the Avatars could provide family names, but that would be kind of copy-catting.

I do think it would be neat if certain long-lasting names in the orgs were given "historical" status (existing 250+ years is pretty historical after all). By that I am kind of referring to things like the stable tenders (a visible tie to some families) which are just pretty cool.

PS: Glom also has some denizens named Wyrmglow, so theoretically that is also an option.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Glomdoring also has Oakvine. At least, it's one of the Vengeance surnames >.>
    Oakvine is technically a Seren house... at least originally. A traitorous and bloodthirsty kind of Seren family. We kind of stole away their shades in recent history, though.
  • Your names are so cool. ._.
  • Aramel said:
    Your names are so cool. ._.
    We are the Glomdoring.
  • You've got the elfen mobs in the Tar Pits you can borrow, I guess. But... if you wanna get down to it, historical families kinda aren't anything but borrowing a mob's name. >_> You've gotta build the context and history on your own for the most part.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Broadleaf is one I've always liked. I don't know if it counts, but it's the name of an herbalist mentioned in the room name for the trade artifacts.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    This old thread may be useful for you - http://www.lusternia.com/node/29259
    Interesting snippet from that thread:
    Tue, 2011-01-18 22:43
    Druken
    Druken's picture

I've sometimes wondered if the Shee-slaugh family could ever be adopted. It would help broaden the Glomdoring family list, and it isn't that far-fetched. Rowena was impregnated by Laeroc to create shadow faelings, after all, and the Nightshades exist. Maybe Lhiannan has a sordid history?

• For Serenwilde, there's also the option of adopting a Centaur name. While obviously none of the players could be Centaurs, you could easily have a distant elfen/furrikin/loboshigaru ancestor or something who was adopted into a Centaur family for doing something really good for the tribe and who then founded an elfen or furrikin or what have you family by the same name.
  • Shaddus said:
    Broadleaf is one I've always liked. I don't know if it counts, but it's the name of an herbalist mentioned in the room name for the trade artifacts.
    I like Broadleaf, but I think there's a reasonably new player in Seren who's claimed that name. Ish.
  • edited July 2013
    What about all of those family memorials in Southern Serenwilde, combined with all those Slag'hora'ruin mobs?
    EDIT: And also all of the Vengeance mobs, which are legit families from the Civil War that the Oakvines were involved in.
  • Yeah, I've been trying to get into the Vengeance arena so as to see them.
  • Ooh, Wildbriar. Wildbriar is cool.
    Aramel said:
    Shaddus said:
    I like Broadleaf, but I think there's a reasonably new player in Seren who's claimed that name. Ish.
    Yeah, that's me, and it's just a name I suffix myself with for lulz. Of course, you're welcome to marry me and start the Broadleaf name. /waggle
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Shaddus said:
    Aramel said:
    Shaddus said:
    Yeah, that's me, and it's just a name I suffix myself with for lulz. Of course, you're welcome to marry me and start the Broadleaf name. /waggle
    Stop marrying yourself.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Damnit! This happens every time. Find a promising newbie, it's a Shaddus-alt. :(
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Aramel said:
    Damnit! This happens every time. Find a promising newbie, it's a Shaddus-alt. :(
    We're all Shaddus.
    edited July 2013
    Aramel said:
    Damnit! This happens every time. Find a promising newbie, it's a Shaddus-alt. :(
    If you mean Caerlyr, that's not me. 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Just taking a quick look around the Serenwilde and the Tar Pits, these names come up:

Burial Cairns
    (Dotuni) Greenthorn
    (Nimailt) Moonblade
    (Laron) Oakvine - could ostensibly be used for either, but Laron was a hero in the Seren Civil War and the first Serenguard champ
    (Rhoswen) Wildbriar
    (Aramir) Strongleaf

Tar Pits
    (Mebor) Greenhunt
    (Risio) Honnen
    (Jayant) Thornleaf
    (Esen) Rainsong
    (Temmal) Bramble
    (Emaleth) Strongoak

Though I didn't check into the history of each of these, by my recollection, all of them were from the Serenwilde and weren't enemies/traitors. So there's eleven possible historical family names right there. I'm sure there's a couple more, too.

I wouldn't use the centaur names like Truehoof, Snowmane, Greyhide, and Stonemane, since I've never seen any historical evidence that the centaurs welcomed outsiders into their families. Everiine has been named a brother to the centaurs, but was not named a member of their families. I doubt, given their history, their indepedence/isolation, and the lack of evidence in the present, that the centaurs welcome other races into their families.

Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Greenthorn, Moonblade, Wildbriar, Rainsong, and Strongoak are neat names.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'm a fan of Brambles, for some reason. I'm imagining a cute, clumsy furrikin with sticks and brambles stuck in her fur.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Xenthos Greenthron
    Xenthos Moonblade
    Xenthos Wildbriar
    Xenthos Rainsong
    Xenthos Strongoak

They just roll off the tongue.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Neos StarlitEternityAfk
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Moonblade, Rainsong, and Wildbriar sound the best to me.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Aramel said:
    Shaddus said:
    Then you could adopt him and he'd be Broadleaf Broadleaf. Can't miss that opportunity.