Help Test the Newbie Tour; Receive 10 Bound Credits!

We are currently testing a new tour for newbies, which will place newbies in the live game (rather than separated in the Shallamar area). It has been found that newbies respond better when they can immediately interact in the live game rather than going through boring tutorials. We'd like your input on how the newbie tour works and you can test it be creating a newbie and typing TESTINTRO after Clotho appears in the normal intro. Please test this out in the html client which is the default client (if possible) found at http://client.lusternia.com/ 

After you have completed the entire tour (which includes running through 5 of the 6 collegium quests, please share your input on the forums thread which I will create. We are looking for bugs, suggestions for additional, suggestions to removing some tasks and anything else upon which you would care to comment.

After the tour, you can claim 10 bound credits on one of your main characters by inputting: TOURGIFT <player> (you can only do this once per main character). 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• - When talking with Clotho, I went down the list of things I could talk to her about, and when I got to movement, she abruptly left... I didn't get to finish talking to her about the other four things!

- Also, watching other newbies talk, but the Guides do not respond 3rd person? Maybe just a generic...Clotho whispers something to Lorina. Or something... Because it looks like the newbies aren't talking to anybody!

Will add more as I notice it.... But it looks purdy so far!

• The tour Guides only exist to the newbie seeing them. Other players can't see them or interact with them at all.

That's curious about Clotho disappearing. Could you just GUIDE CALL her back?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Estarra said:
    We are currently testing a new tour for newbies, which will place newbies in the live game (rather than separated in the Shallamar area). It has been found that newbies respond better when they can immediately interact in the live game rather than going through boring tutorials. We'd like your input on how the newbie tour works and you can test it be creating a newbie and typing TESTINTRO after Clotho appears in the normal intro. Please test this out in the html client which is the default client (if possible) found at http://client.lusternia.com/ 

After you have completed the entire tour (which includes running through 5 of the 6 collegium quests, please share your input on the forums thread which I will create. We are looking for bugs, suggestions for additional, suggestions to removing some tasks and anything else upon which you would care to comment.

After the tour, you can claim 10 bound credits on one of your main characters by inputting: TOURGIFT <player> (you can only do this once per main character). 

Thanks in advance!

Define "main character". /hides 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Iosai said:
    The tour Guides only exist to the newbie seeing them. Other players can't see them or interact with them at all.

That's curious about Clotho disappearing. Could you just GUIDE CALL her back?
    Negative, Lachesis came in and took her place.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2013
    But I don't want to log out!  :(
    So far it's an interesting change, but I wish the intro would return a handful of things it used to contain, like buying minor items.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited August 2013
    Alright, posting as the new character that ran this:

1) No SpeedUp option was hard for me to get used to, then realized I was sitting at the Portal.

2) I got to only interact with the first guide about four times before she poofed and was replaced by the permanent one. My suggestion would be make an option to summon her sister in her place as a sign of completion with the first guide.

3) Performing the speed run through the Collegium was a breeze, definitely a great way to make experienced players help if someone is a true newbie. It also removes the leash from people making alts, awesome system.

4) Going off just the announcement alone, the tour should be speaking with the guides, killing shadow, speaking more with guides, and doing five Collegium tasks right? How do I know when I finish it? I've completed those listed tasks from the announcement but have no message stating anything along the lines of - Congratulations on completion of the Newbie Tour.

EDIT:

1) Regular players not in TESTINTRO cannot see the new characters in the TESTINTRO.

2) New characters cannot see -anyone- else, including other TESTINTRO's

3) Still no actual completion point in the Tour it seems, unless I missed a command.

4) Another person said that it got stuck with Lachesis and the pack, the guides not progressing after that point.

5) Please change interactions with the Guide not use says. If the player is the only person who can see the Guide in the room, make it just happen like a HELP function or TELL?
    It might also help if you provide a mending vial to newbies for the healing quest in Celest, among other places.
  • You do get a prompt when you complete the tour. It says something like "Congratulations! You have completed the introductory tour of Lusternia!"
  • edited August 2013
    Then what I am missing? I listed what I have done, but have received no such message. Turns out I still have Lachesis, how do I get to Atropos?
  • edited August 2013
    I do not see these new newbies on CGWHO, or CWHO. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it makes it hard for me to check which newbies are actually about right now. I understand not showing up on CWHO, but CGWHO would probably be a good idea. 

Edit: I know I can NWHO, but that's not a list of MY newbies.
    Alright. I have five out of the six quests completed, and still haven't "completed the intro".

Also, this.

The paladin gives a smart salute, then withdraws to another chamber to make his report.
    NOTE: You have completed a collegium quest! You receive 1000 gold sovereigns for this task.
    [ACHIEVEMENT]: You have completed the 'Salutatorian' Achievement! You have earned 10 Lessons.
    You have received a quest! Check out QUEST STARHEALER for more information.
    You have completed the Healing the Paladin Scouts quest!
    NOTE: Your collegium time has been reduced.

I seem to have received the quest and then in return ended the quest, all on the same paladin, the third I had turned in.
  • Yes, you can complete a quest without getting the quest first (in which case you'll both receive and complete the quest at the same time. Receiving the quest simply puts it on your quest list but you usually don't actually need that to do the quest steps.

The paladin gives a smart salute, then withdraws to another chamber to make his report.
    NOTE: You have completed a collegium quest! You receive 1000 gold sovereigns for this task.
    [ACHIEVEMENT]: You have completed the 'Salutatorian' Achievement! You have earned 10 Lessons.
    You have received a quest! Check out QUEST STARHEALER for more information.
    You have completed the Healing the Paladin Scouts quest!
    NOTE: Your collegium time has been reduced.

I seem to have received the quest and then in return ended the quest, all on the same paladin, the third I had turned in.

• Sidonie said:
    I do not see these new newbies on CGWHO, or CWHO. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it makes it hard for me to check which newbies are actually about right now. I understand not showing up on CWHO, but CGWHO would probably be a good idea. 

Edit: I know I can NWHO, but that's not a list of MY newbies.
    They don't show up on CGWHO/GWHO until they are announced to the city/guild when they first speak on CT.
  • 1. Ok, before the client crashed on my (silly Chrome) I think I'm getting the same thing everyone else was getting with Clotho -

You'd have the list of tasks from initially GREETing the GUIDE, and I did them from 1-4(I think, I can;t check to see now)
    And then Clotho suddenly goes "I've taught you the basics, Lachesis will be here in a sec" (paraphrasing a little here, but you get my drift)
    I still had four tasks to do in that list (I.e the last 3/4 like moving around using the map or some such) Which are kinda important to the newbie!

2. After defeating the shadow and Lachesis tells you to wear the backpack, that's it. You're not prompted what to do next! Do I go out? Do I take something from my backpack? etc

3. Apparently Lachesis is speaking to me, but I can't GREET GUIDE. I had to GUIDE CALL and then she appeared. But she was there after I killed that shadow!!

When I started the new intro, I wasn't in a city or commune, and ended up joining one. You might limit this to people who actually pick an org, so they can fully complete the new intro so they don't get stuck waiting for their shadow like I did.

The OldHome quest was interesting, but may not be a good idea if the zombies from the Waste Facility are out. Not sure if this is an issue.

A speedup would be handy for this as well.
  • With a deep bow to you, Atropos fades away, her cackle trailing behind her which sounds like parchment being ripped or perhaps like dead leaves blowing on a bitter day.
    You have completed the Fates of Lusternia quest!
    Congratulations! You have completed the introductory tour of Lusternia!

Figured it out. Each guide has 3-4 requirements. Everything highlighted in red and underlined is a -required- action. Clotho's is SCORE and STAT for example in which they switch out to Lachesis. The shadow appears, kill it quite easily, then GREET GUIDE and do choice 1, do all the highlight requirements. Greet again and see that it refreshed and there's a new 1 option. Do this until you end up in Newton. Hopefully after speaking to your city and showing up in Newton, the shadow reappears and dies just as easily.

Atropos arrives and tells you to go find your old home. It prompts to use LANDMARKS which is sort of silly, as nothing is really close to PATH WALK to. However, you can choose to move to v31823 which is the new room (not hidden) a few rooms northwest of the entrance to Estelbar. Upon SEARCHing you get the journal. Then you get the old speech about writing your destiny etc... and it completes with the above mentioned congrats.

Now that the guide is done, here's what I've seen that needs to be fixed, changed, or possibly removed.

1) Most importantly, please fix the WHO lists for those participating. It seems every COL rank does not show up on CGWHO and regardless of person, nobody shows up on CWHO like you were in a private manse.

2) Remove the fluff options from Clotho, no need for her to offer history and help files. Keep her at the first pieces of basic info so that Lachesis takes over.

3) If you wish to keep those options about on Clotho, then I suggest an added option to thank her and dismiss her for the next step.

4) Make it clear in the options with the Guides that all things highlighted in red and underlined and required actions. Perfect example being the Teleport with Lachesis. You must use SKILLS, AB PLANAR, and AB PLANAR TELEPORT, then follow the prompt to TELEPORT NEWTON. The hints at Newton can be ignored as an exception to this.

5) A quick decaying vial for mending should be added (much like healing, mana, bromides) as well as announcing to the new character that they now have herbs in the rift that are -not- consumed on personal use. Healing Collegium tasks will use the herb due to it being given away, much like the healing potion is when on the same task.

6) Add an annoying reminder much like the 'You have not registered yet' that happens with new characters. For this reminder, it should include the fact they have required tasks with their current Guide and should seek them out.

7) Make Guide (NPCs) interaction personal only, no third party message. It is really confusing for other players when all of a sudden a newbie asks, "How do I get more help?". Best solution would be for it to be a silenced command when choosing an option, or send a tell to the assigned NPC Guide that then returns with the response already programmed.

Hopefully this helps quite a bit. I've loved Lusternia since it came out and always have. Special thanks to Sidonie for helping me speed run through this for quick results and feedback.
  • Few things while I'm waiting for finks to repop

The Quests that Lachesis offers are the Cranky and Finko quests which require you to kill things for the widgets etc to finish the Quest. I feel like I'm waiting on finishing that to move on to Atropos. First off, you should have them config prompt to be one before they have to kill stuff, You have the health bars in the HTML client yes, but that's not super noticeable. Second, It'd be good for them to learn their basic bashing skills in order to kills stuff, newbie kicking things to death is boring, slow and lame (especially since finkettes take at least two kicks!). 

I'm sure I'll come up on other stuff, but those are the two glaring things to me right now
  • Blika said:
    Few things while I'm waiting for finks to repop

The Quests that Lachesis offers are the Cranky and Finko quests which require you to kill things for the widgets etc to finish the Quest. I feel like I'm waiting on finishing that to move on to Atropos. First off, you should have them config prompt to be one before they have to kill stuff, You have the health bars in the HTML client yes, but that's not super noticeable. Second, It'd be good for them to learn their basic bashing skills in order to kills stuff, newbie kicking things to death is boring, slow and lame (especially since finkettes take at least two kicks!). 

I'm sure I'll come up on other stuff, but those are the two glaring things to me right now
    I never had to kill a thing to complete Lachesis.
  • Fennox said:
    Blika said:
    Few things while I'm waiting for finks to repop

I never had to kill a thing to complete Lachesis.
    That may be, but if you read what I said, The only thing I seem to be lacking is completing a Quest and the two quests offered by Lachesis when prompted are Cranky and Finko, which require killing stuff to complete. Maybe I can complete any quest, that's ok, but the ones I'm directed to are those two.
  • You can complete any quest for it, including the required Collegium tasks.
  • Fennox said:
    You can complete any quest for it, including the required Collegium tasks.
    Ok, look, I get it, you can complete any quest, that doesn't really matter, you're missing the entire point. I already knew I could complete another quest because I read this thread before I started doing anything. 

They are asking for feedback, I am giving it to them. There is nothing in the tutorial so far that says I can complete any quest to knock that off, it only mentions the two quests I stated above. Without completeing a quest, it doesn't say anything about moving on to the Collegium or anything. So I am telling them an issue I am running into to help improve the new tutorial. The point of this whole thing is to improve upon what they already have. I'm trying to help with that. I'm coming from the perspective of a complete and total noob that literally has no clue to go off of other than what's spelled out for him. Trying to sit here and tell me how to get around it doesn't do anything to improve the situation. 
  • The fact that players are immediately interacting with city/commune and collegium is a good thing. I enjoyed that greatly. Great teachers should be able to work with this and get rid of some of that "This is toooo much" feeling some players have. Help files are cold comfort sometimes and this pushes for interaction.

The history and "more help" things should disappear once read and not remain since they already pop up more than once giving multiple opportunities for reading. It is a bit confusing that they remain for a bit even after reading. It seems as if you've done something wrong so you keep trying at them.

• Blika said:
    Fennox said:
    Ok, look, I get it, you can complete any quest, that doesn't really matter, you're missing the entire point. I already knew I could complete another quest because I read this thread before I started doing anything. 

They are asking for feedback, I am giving it to them. There is nothing in the tutorial so far that says I can complete any quest to knock that off, it only mentions the two quests I stated above. Without completeing a quest, it doesn't say anything about moving on to the Collegium or anything. So I am telling them an issue I am running into to help improve the new tutorial. The point of this whole thing is to improve upon what they already have. I'm trying to help with that. I'm coming from the perspective of a complete and total noob that literally has no clue to go off of other than what's spelled out for him. Trying to sit here and tell me how to get around it doesn't do anything to improve the situation. 
    I know where you're coming from. Our conversation here got you to come up with a solution. What should be added to the list, per suggestion, is when Lachesis tells you to complete a question, also add that they Collegium quests are viable for completion of this task.
  • Fennox said:
    Blika said:
    Fennox said:

I know where you're coming from. Our conversation here got you to come up with a solution. What should be added to the list, per suggestion, is when Lachesis tells you to complete a question, also add that they Collegium quests are viable for completion of this task.
    If you read my original post at all, you'll notice I had a solution, sitting right there, in plain text. Having her talk about your prompt, and maybe introducing guild skills is probably a good idea anyway, because even when Atropos talks about collegium tasks, there is still no mention of  prompts and it talking about your vitals. This should be one of the first things brought up.

Given that collegium tasks aren't even talked about until Atropos, so there's no point in bringing them up until you can explain what they are. For your 'solution' to be effective, Lachesis should talk about collegium tasks herself instead of Atropos. 

All 'our conversation' got was me being annoyed at you. If you don't like the 'solution' I presented, then explain why, and back it up with some reasoning.
  • When going down the list of what Clotho will talk about, things are only taken off the list if you go from top to bottom, skipping around doesn't take them off the list. Its also possible clicking something gave me something else, but I could have mis-clicked? Also, while I was typing this, Clotho gave up on me and now Lachesis is here.
  • I didn't say I don't like your solution and suggestions. I really wanted to extend on it and make it better, if not more. Reading back I angled it wrong and apologize. Point wasn't to irritate you, was to work with you as someone else that wants to make this a better experience.
  • edited August 2013
    Rambling opinions/possible problems:

I'd like to second(third? fourth?) the fact that it should be clearer what's optional, what's required, and what will make Clotho disappear when interacting with her, and later with Lachesis and Atropos

Also the fact that you're told to move, but there's no exit in any of the directions seems less than ideal.

I had a similar experience to Anita where Lachesis is talking to me, and I can't GREET GUIDE her, instead it's just the untargeted greetings emote.

She stopped talking to me after I did GUIDE CALL, which seemed a little weird, although I could continue through the greet guide stuff. I might suggest making CALL GUIDE and GUIDE GREET work interchangeably with the above two commands, so that the syntax is more consistent and easier to remember.

I couldn't get the "Can I magically teleport around the land" prompt to go away, despite doing what it said. Same with the history and the more help.

If I were a true newbie, I'd feel extremely reluctant to follow the direction to speak on CT. As it was, I tried to do everything else to move onto the next step, but eventually gave up and went with it. And still couldn't move on. However it did cause people to start speaking to me on CGT and giving me another list of things to do, and having never heard of the collegium before, I wasn't sure what to do first.

It'd be nice if somewhere mentioned the clothes in your pack.

It's randomly annoying that kicking will target a corpse over the second living target in the room. (not really a comment on the tour, but a general observation about newbie kicking)

Not sure if this is a typo or something else:
    You say, "How do I increase my knowledge of skills?"
    Atropos of the Shears says, "Your nexus keeper is able to teach you many things. I suggest learning up to rift in the planar skillset."[HINT]: Teleport to your nexus using the teleport skill TELEPORT NEXUS. There, you will find [REDACTED]. To use lessons, start by LEARN 15 PLANAR FROM [REDACTED]. This will put 20 lessons into your Planar skillset.

Why does learning 15 planar from [REDACTED] put 20 lessons in the skillset?

I'm told to teleport collegium, then greet Grutina, so it might be nice if the teleport took me to the person I'm supposed to greet.
  • You say, "How do I start a quest?"

Lachesis the Weaver says, "There are many quests in Newton Caverns. For example, you can find Cranky the Chief Engineer of the gnomes or Finko the Great of the finks and greet them to obtain a quest."

[HINT]: If you are in Newton, you can PATH WALK CRANKY or PATH WALK FINKO to quickly travel to them. Once there, you can GREET CRANKY or GREET FINKO to receive a quest.

Kinda silly to link commands to be clickable if I click them and get "That is not a valid destinatation"

• My biggest suggestion is to force the order of what the newbies do, for example, the "Start the quest" thing doesn't make sense if you didn't ask about teleporting first.

Also, I can't figure out how to get past the "Can I magically teleport around the land?" question. I keep asking and doing what it says, but it doesn't go away as a choice.