QUOTES 8: THE QUOTING

Comments

• edited August 2013
    ** Someone raiding and leaving **

Queen Valonah Bel'Fiore, Soul of Darkness says, "What a Sissy."

Prince Kio d'Illici, Bear of Darkness smiles softly at Valonah, his eyes swirling with murky waters.

"Hmph!" Valonah snorts.

Valonah steps into an archway of thorns and disappears.
  • Daem said:
    (Glomdoring): Morkarion says, "Any losses?"

(Glomdoring): Kio says, "No."

Valonah gives a pained sigh.

Fly Armaros, Ward of the Wyrd says, "Who was it?"

Forge-born Morkarion Shee-Slaugh, Master of the Bloodhunt says, "Ollie."

Queen Valonah Bel'Fiore, Soul of Darkness says, "Ollie."

Comprehension flashes across Armaros's face.

Forge-born Morkarion Shee-Slaugh, Master of the Bloodhunt says, "Another kick and run before anyone 
    even responds."

Shadows grow longer in anticipation for the return of their dark mistress as Father Sun's chase 
    brings him closer to the world's edge.

Morkarion snorts and snuffles at the air through a ridiculous pig nose.

Morkarion suddenly inhales deeply.

Queen Valonah Bel'Fiore, Soul of Darkness says, "What a Sissy."

Prince Kio d'Illici, Bear of Darkness smiles softly at Valonah, his eyes swirling with murky waters.

"Hmph!" Valonah snorts.

Valonah steps into an archway of thorns and disappears.
    That had to be the..funniest..quote..ever :|
  • Umm... I think people are flagging this without realizing the humour.  However, it makes sense because none of you probably know Valonah.

Valonah is the absolute sweetest, nicest, tiniest little faeling who never says anything bad about anyone.  Literally.

It's giggleworthy for those of us who know her because it's like Pinkie pie calling someone a sissy.

So, I don't think an abuse flag is necessary.  It's just lacking context for non-gloms.
  • Oh my I didn't realize that it was abusive, I'll remove it. What Valonah said just made me giggle. My apologies.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited August 2013
    At what point is a quote "off topic" or "abusive"? That's pretty backwards and degrading, especially seeing as you generally only flagged the post because you disagree with it, and are on "Ollie's side".

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    When you disagree with it, clearly.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Rivius said:
    I don't even think that's a good thing. You can get people thrown out of Newton prematurely that way and completely ruin a great part of their early game experience.
    And yet half the newbie achievements give exp instead of lessons...

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Which is the opposite of what you're scrambling for as a newbie :(
  • Shaddus said:
    At what point is a quote "off topic" or "abusive"? That's pretty retarded silly.
    Friendly reminder that using these sorts of terms in the pejorative sense is something we should all strive to move away from.  Changes will only happen if you remind yourself (and I often have to remind myself)!

<3
  • Shaddus said:
    At what point is a quote "off topic" or "abusive"? That's pretty retarded.
    When it isn't funny and it's in the funny section.
  • The abusive flag is for when a post is in violation of forum rules, not just because it is rude or dickish. Think of it as the "report post" button, and avoid using it unless you actually mean to flag it for moderator review.

• edited August 2013
    Shaddus said:
    At what point is a quote "off topic" or "abusive"? That's pretty retarded.
    What I posted before can be considered rude in a variety of different ways. I shortened it down to the part I actually thought was funny. What I posted before could have been (and was) interpreted as thinking it's funny that someone was kicking and running before anyone got there. This is something that would be more of a rant and not funny at all. That was never my purpose to bring any attention to that. It could also be thought as calling someone out publicly on the forums for something they do in game and bring down negative attention on them which again is something I didn't intend to do and I'm very sorry if I did.

What my intent was to capture how a noncombatant (And really sweetest thing in the world) was calling out someone for being a Sissy and then leaving in a huff. My quote didn't capture the necessary intent so it was misinterpreted and it was necessary to edit. In the future I'll make sure to leave out unnecessary names and the like to avoid the confusion in the future, or not post things that require more context I suppose.

IMO it was somewhat warranted, though I haven't read the forum rules in a very long time.
  • edited August 2013
    I am more concerned that the taint seems to induce appreciation for MLP. indeed, we have not forseen the true threat it would bring.

Wyrdlings riding colourful marshmellow ponies that were for small children but apparently had appeal vastly beyond that originally narrow demographic.

Morkarion said:
    Rivius said:
    I don't even think that's a good thing. You can get people thrown out of Newton prematurely that way and completely ruin a great part of their early game experience.
    And yet half the newbie achievements give exp instead of lessons...
    Great for anyone alting, probably not very helpful for first time players.

I remember it taking me about four attempts over a period of half a year to "get" Achaea, back when Lusternia was just launching. The slow progress essentially helped me keep my hand in over the frustration. To be honest, slowly building up my skills while hunting was a big part of that. The bigger part was slowly learning how to get around and make my way through a type of game I'd never played before.

Lodi/Minia (Gheladan didn't exist yet) were huge parts of that creche experience. These noob caves get me into the rhythm and I have no doubt if I'd been ceremoniously promoted to level 20 within a few hours I'd have probably never stuck around this long.

This isn't a quote really I know and I'll stick on topic now, just felt like agreeing and anecdote your comment. It seems like a very important one towards ensuring we maintain a steady flow of new players.

• edited August 2013
    edit: redundant post. Have this rare picture of a furrikin honour duel painted during the time of the Celestine empire.

• @Finchy: The Wyrd and the Taint are two very different things.
  • Kio said:
    Umm... I think people are flagging this without realizing the humour.  However, it makes sense because none of you probably know Valonah.

Valonah is the absolute sweetest, nicest, tiniest little faeling who never says anything bad about anyone.  Literally.

It's giggleworthy for those of us who know her because it's like Pinkie pie calling someone a sissy.

So, I don't think an abuse flag is necessary.  It's just lacking context for non-gloms.
    It's not like it's very far-fetched, Kio...

• Kio said:
    @Finchy: The Wyrd and the Taint are two very different things.
    woosh.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    A plush doll of Lord Eventru, Crown of the Exalted stares at into the eyes of a plush doll of Lyreth, the Sidereal Prince for a long moment, unmoving. Just as Eventru opens his mouth to say something, Lyreth unleashes a flying tackle-hug, sending them both flying in a jumble of silk and plush.

Love being able to give my plushies random squeezes.  Still want a Terentia and Valtreth plushie though to complete my set of the Celest patrons...
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    Rivius said:
    Which is the opposite of what you're scrambling for as a newbie :(
    Exactly. Exp is not hard to get either, and even if you want to power level as an alt, you'd still rather have more lessons!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kagato said:
    A plush doll of Lord Eventru, Crown of the Exalted stares at into the eyes of a plush doll of Lyreth, the Sidereal Prince for a long moment, unmoving. Just as Eventru opens his mouth to say something, Lyreth unleashes a flying tackle-hug, sending them both flying in a jumble of silk and plush.

Love being able to give my plushies random squeezes.  Still want a Terentia and Valtreth plushie though to complete my set of the Celest patrons...
    Squeezing a Terentia doll would likely cut into your hand.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Kio said:

Shaddus said:

At what point is a quote "off topic" or "abusive"? That's pretty retarded silly.

Friendly reminder that using these sorts of terms in the pejorative sense is something we should all strive to move away from.  Changes will only happen if you remind yourself (and I often have to remind myself)!

<3

It's a bit hypocritical to quote the use of 'sissy' then turn around and say that. Sissy is an incredibly common bullying term, especially because one of definitions is 'an effeminate man.' Where is the line?

I do think it's a funny quote though

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I agree, Ollie hits and runs a lot.
    That's saying there's something wrong with being an effeminate man though, I think culture is moving from the times of excessive masculinity.

There is nothing wrong with being an effeminate man, but if that's your take away, you missed the point

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    No I get your point, I'm just saying that it's a very outdated insult is all.

I agree that there's not so much a case of double standards, but where do you draw the line between acceptable and not acceptable.

It is a case of double standards though, why promote one but condemn the other?

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Shaddus said:

<3
    image It's a bit hypocritical to quote the use of 'sissy' then turn around and say that. Sissy is an incredibly common bullying term, especially because one of definitions is 'an effeminate man.' Where is the line? I do think it's a funny quote though
    First, clarification: I did not quote the use of 'sissy.'

Second, I appreciate this reply.  In this case, however, the line is quite firmly drawn between IC social constructs and OOC social constructs.  This line has been brought up before (in regards to both the racism which run rampant through Lusternia and a particularly heated discussion on character's perceptions of same-sex couples).  While I personally find the particular conversation of the differences in these social constructs really, really interesting, they're best suited for PMs, as they get derailed and hostile very quickly.

It's a shame, though, because it's really neat to think about the differences in our RL society and our IC society.
    Synkarin said:
    It is a case of double standards though, why promote one but condemn the other?
    For me double standards would be using one medical terminology while discrediting others.

Quoted to an OOC forum. Kind of nullifies any kind off IC defense. Does this mean if I call someone retarded in game, it's all fine and dandy.

It also brings up a good point that context plays an important role in how offensive a word may be, and I think Shaddus was far from that point

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • This quote is intended to be read from an IC perspective, which seems to be the root of most problems with it, heh.