Bleed: How Emotions Affect Role-Playing Experiences

http://nordiclarptalks.org/post/48274368386/bleed-how-emotions-affect-role-playing-experiences

A friend shared this on Facebook earlier, thought it was quite an interesting talk. It's something I've experienced myself, and I think of it like reading a book or watching a movie, if it is any good it will get to you on some level. What does the rest of you think about 'bleed'? Maybe someone has a story that they'd want to share?
You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.

Comments

• I make extreme effort to have bleed not be a thing when I play my characters, on any roleplaying game. I've been able to assume so many personalities it kind of scares me.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    As a LRPer this was super interesting to watch, thank you for posting!

I especially found the part about the importance of debriefing interesting: as it basically amounts to 'frothing about your IG experiences is good for you/important!' :D
  • edited February 2014

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited August 2013
    Very interesting. I definitely resonate with the 'stepping outside of oneself and becoming a central component of a shared story' school of roleplaying. I've been playing IRE games since high school, and before that I was involved in a kind of forum-based, interactive storytelling roleplaying situation. There was never anyone in my life I felt comfortable talking to about my hobbies (even when I really wanted to gush about something awesome or complain about something frustrating), so I had to set boundaries and rules for myself to avoid getting too affected by the games.

A lot of times it amounted to reminding myself "it's just a game/story" whenever I got too riled up. I also made a point to never, ever prioritize a game event over an opportunity for real-life interaction. And most importantly (with respect to leadership roles in particular) if I'm not having fun, I quit. It took me a while to appreciate it, but the games and stories go on without me! It's fine! I can jump back in in another capacity when I'm ready! 

EDIT: I should mention that I can't help but feel connections with the characters I interact with, if not the people behind them. That's part of why we play in the first place, as Doctor Bowman said. It can be a little hard to just quit when you're not having fun, knowing that your quitting might affect someone else's fun. But I gotta look out for my own emotional health, so I try to limit private, OOC interaction. The forums serve as my debriefing session.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    What? Lusternia would exist without me? :o
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Xenthos said:
    What? Lusternia would exist without Shaddus? :o
    Fixed.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I feel like I should be added to your edit, Shaddus, but I'm too lazy.