Artifact Ideas

Comments

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Dwarven Powder Keg - One, Two, BOOM!

Light fuse -> brief delay -> Resultant explosion acts like a scissorflip on everyone in the room, self included.  Limited to once a day.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Whimsical artifacts:

Gnomish Cake: Eat this cake, and for the next hour, any herb you eat has the visible action changed into something else entirely!

Kelly eats a sparkleberry.

- > Kelly squawks like a chicken before pecking a bug off of the ground. Gross!

Morkarion applies an arnica bud to his legs.

-> With a sly grin, Morkarion picks some earwax out of his ear before spreading it across his temples.

(Ok, it's a weird idea.)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Whimsical artifacts: Gnomish Cake: Eat this cake, and for the next hour, any herb you eat has the visible action changed into something else entirely! Kelly eats a sparkleberry. - > Kelly squawks like a chicken before pecking a bug off of the ground. Gross! Morkarion applies an arnica bud to his legs. -> With a sly grin, Morkarion picks some earwax out of his ear before spreading it across his temples. (Ok, it's a weird idea.)
    And also has very real, very powerful combat implications.
  • You could simply have the regular eating line followed by an attached modified line.
  • Charm bracelet. Dingbat item.

Holds curios in the same way that bandoliers hold vials. Tidy up inventory.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    But only if it can hold more than 100.
  • Rainbow-tinted Spectacles - Randomly recolours your various channels (ie: Exits, Descriptions, Room titles, Says, Tells, Messages, etc.) once every few minutes. You can configure it to ignore certain classes (communication, objects, players, etc.) or certain colours (Magenta, Yellow, Red, etc.)

Gnomish Thermotreated Kinetic Sphere - resets to owner once per Lusternian day
     - BOUNCE SPHERE [TO <player>]: The Gnomish Thermotreated Kinetic Sphere ricochets off the floor and into a random player's inventory in the room. If targeted, it will go to that player.
     - FLING SPHERE: The Gnomish Thermotreated Kinetic Sphere bounces wildly around the area, then settles in a random room.
     - HURL SPHERE [<plane>]: The Gnomish Thermotreated Kinetic Sphere rebounds dangerously around the room. Everyone in the room takes a negligably small amount (like, a dozen or so) of damage, the user gets a black eye, and the Gnomish Thermotreated Kinetic Sphere settles in a random room on the known planes. If a plane is supplied and the owner is not enemied to it, it will usually settle there, somewhere.
     - Somehow not able to be Flame Sigil'd please?
  • Rivius said:
    Needy Spouse Badge --> Lets you lastlogin your spouse.
    I love this idea. I feel like it should have the word 'stalker' in it though.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Unstable gnomish aetheric sphere: Acts as a bubblix with a twist - the aetherbubble it takes you to changes every IG month. The only way to find out the current bubble is to use it.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • What about a Gnomish yikes button? something you can hold onto maybe buy for 15 credits or something that allows you to "stomp" on it once per lusternian month and be teleported to a random room within the current territory you are in?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2013
    I believe there is already a gnomish panic button.

Edit: Though it appears to have a different function.

o Panic Button (75 dingbats)
     - PUSH BUTTON
     - Usable once per month
     - Gives you a 1 second blackout
     - Anyone who hits you within the next 6 seconds will receive a 3+ second
       blackout

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I think he means more a Chaos Hamster esque ability.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I was just trying to be creative!
  • Chaos hamster no longer exists for a reason.
    Aeral said:
    Chaos hamster no longer exists for a reason.
    Those who had one still do own one. Also with things like Reality and Convergence, that reason is rather moot.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    How about a Lirangsha Primebix?
    edited August 2013
    Edit: Misread, disregard. etc. etc.

• truesilver tonic, kind of like a gold tonic sort of idea, when you drink it it doubles the effect of any herb eaten such as cures two effects instead of one with each application or herb eaten?
    For the sake of balance, I'm firmly going with a no on that one.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2013
    Oh wowza, no. Herb balance is already very fast. Lusternian curing is the fastest of all the IREs, with cures spread across more different balances than any of the other games. Affliction classes need broken shenanegins to keep up.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    eh, hardly. But it's still a bad idea.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I disagree with everyone above and feel that it should be immediately implemented as an auction artie where only I can bid.
  • indeed some classes are broken already, with immense healing capabilities, but some other classes have such a hard time keeping any afflictions at all. maybe if you limited it to afflictions caused by melee weapons and the such, give non mage classes a little more edge?
  • I think a better approach to balancing is to change mechanics, not introduce band-aid artifacts (which few will be able to get).
  • I very nearly went into a huge rant about how long-time players get all of the "good" artifacts via the auction anyway. 

In any event - please no more of those artifacts because as it stands it doesn't matter *what* others do, those artifacts will always mean that one or two people have an advantage.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Fozziewhirble's Spectacles of the Erudite Gnome: speeds learning messages up by 15%.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ... we just got an increase up to like 100+ lessons per shot. Do you really need even faster learning?
  • Hmm, how about a library rift. Allows you to have carry around your own personal library with you wherever you go.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited September 2013
    Daem said:
    Hmm, how about a library rift. Allows you to have carry around your own personal library with you wherever you go.
    I'd like that if it were, say, an attache or some kind of container that shows you item ids and (crucially) titles of the books and scrolls filed in it.

Er, I guess, yeah, like all the info you get from the BROWSE function at the library.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."