New Recruit

edited September 2013 in Event Scrolls
Note: I didn't get the recruit's permission to post this, so I changed it to Melanie for the purposes of this post.

Obligatory Exposition: Melanie just popped out of the Portal of Fate, and since no one else was around in the Templars Guild, I decided to flex some RP epeen muscle and get to work. Mariel's pretty well-known for being perpetually surly and generally acting like she's got a chip on her shoulder the size of Texas. She doesn't talk much, and generally hates everything and everyone.

Introductions

look Melanie
She is an ordinary human and and possesses tanned skin and a slender figure. Her dark eyes are slanted and sharp, while her long black hair is tied into a tail at the right side of her head. She has almost hawklike features, and despite her womanly figure it is obvious that she posses quite a bit of athletic ability, given the lean muscle beneath her soft skin. She is wearing a
canvas backpack, plain grey trousers and a plain grey tunic.

You nod your head at Melanie.

Melanie begins to follow you.

You say, "First up, status report. What do you remember?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Remember of my past, or of another subject,
milady?"

You say, "Your past. In other words, recruit, why are you
here?"

Whelp Melanie says, "I remember hearing of the legendary Cavaliers and their exploits, and wanted to learn their techniques to serve Gaudiguch. I aspire to obtain a wyvern of my own and protect the freedoms of our city with skill and steel."

You narrow your eyes to thin slits.

You say, "What makes you think you have what it takes?"

Continuing the hunt for his dark mate, Father Sun presses forward in his journey, lowering himself in the sky yet still casting even, full light upon the land.

Whelp Melanie says, "I possess resolve, milady, and the will to claw my way past any obstacles that may stand in my path. Every citizen must do their best to serve our city, and I am determined to do so myself."

Iari arrives from the south.

Iari beams broadly.

Iari curtseys gracefully.

You have emoted: Mariel gives Iari an irritable look.

You see the following people here: Melanie, Iari, Mariel

Iari ponders Melanie thoughtfully, looking her up and down.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis smiles and says, "Hello."

Melanie curtseys gracefully before Iari.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis smiles and says to Melanie, "How are you?"

Crossing her arms, you say, "This is your queen, recruit."

Iari glances askance.

Iari lowers the hood on illuminated robes of blinding white linen.

Whelp Melanie says, "I am well, Your Majesty."

Iari sticks her tongue out and says 'Ack.'

Iari flails about helplessly.

You have emoted: Mariel almost smirks for just a moment.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says to Melanie, "Just Iari, is fine."

Childishly, Iari sticks her tongue out at you.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis asks Melanie, "How would you like some new clothes?"

The dry, hot wind summons a sparkling helix of sand, which dances in a tumultuous spiral before settling back amidst the rocky landscape.

Giving Iari a flat look, you say, "Her raiment is my responsibility in the absence of the quartermaster, and I will see to it."

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says to you, "I'm talking about -clothes- not...raiment."

Whelp Melanie says, "I do not wish to be a burden on anyone..."

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says to Melanie, "A nice dress?"

You frown and say, "Priorities."

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis says to Melanie, "Or a skirt, and a blouse?"

You frown and say, "A fink would happily disembowel her no matter what she was wearing. ."

Whelp Melanie says, "I would enjoy getting out of this plain gray, but I must see to the more practical matters before I worry about finery. I greatly appreciate your kindness, however."

Ur'traps!

The snap of a loud trap echoes through the Basin of Life.

A shimmering haze slinks across the horizon, reflecting a kaleidoscope of chaotic colours against the barren rock.

Iari blinks.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis says, "What the...?"

Whelp Melanie has worry flash across her face, suddenly unsure of whether she said something offensive.

You have emoted: Mariel's face remains a mask of steel as she looks between queen and recruit.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says, "Traps and shouting."

A shimmering haze slinks across the horizon, reflecting a kaleidoscope of chaotic colours against the barren rock.

You frown and say, "Needless distractions from lesser beings."

Shadows grow longer in anticipation for the return of their dark mistress as Father Sun's chase brings him closer to the world's edge.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says, "I'm...going to go see what that's all about."

Iari leaves to the south. You grunt noncommitally.

Korue Dragnet shouts, "Pah! That one escaped!"

The body of Whelp Melanie appears in a flash and her soul descends to fill it, causing the previously expressionless face to fill with emotion.

Leolamins d'Murani, the Undead Axe shouts, "The cookie escaped?"

Korue Dragnet shouts, "Ha! The bloody ghost escaped!"

You say to Melanie, "Status report, recruit."

Whelp Melanie says, "My apologies, my soul was severed from this plane momentarily..."

You grunt noncommitally. You say, "Happens."

Korue Dragnet shouts, "Mebbe, I'll hire one of them viscanti ghostbusters to help."

Aerys Tarsuhl, BTS. shouts, "Who ya gonna call?"

You will now ignore mortal shouting.

You see the following people here: Melanie, Mariel

Whelp Melanie says, "Do you have orders for me, milady?"

You frown and say, "Speak when spoken to, recruit."

As the sun passes below the horizon's edge, Mother Night unveils her terrible, shadowy beauty, spreading darkness across the land.

Whelp Melanie nods, keeping her mouth shut.

Pacing in a circle around you and smacking the parts of your body with the back of your hand as she mentions them, you say, "And stand at attention. Chin up, chest out, feet shoulder-length apart, hands behind your back and folded. You represent the military of this City, by Sh--."

Melanie snaps to attention zealously, her posture an example of perfect military discipline.

You have emoted: Mariel pauses a moment and continues, "by Lovashi, so look the part at the very least. Is that clear, recruit?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Yes, milady!"

You have emoted: Mariel makes it back to your front and crosses her arms, looking you over stonily. There's the faintest hint of a nod. "You want to be a Cavalier, recruit? You want to play dragon-rider? Do you know the first thing about wyverns, recruit?"

Melanie snaps to attention zealously, her posture an example of perfect military discipline.

Whelp Melanie says, "I admit my knowledge may be lacking, but I'm willing to learn, milady."
You yawn suddenly and mightily.

You have emoted: Mariel gives a slight nod. "That kind of attitude will get you far. But not far enough. Do you think our enemies care how willing you are to learn? They'll kill you or worse just for the fun of it." She takes the sheathed sword in her hand and points it at your chest. "Cut you open like the fresh young meat you are." She holds that position for a few moments, glowering at you, then lowers the sword. "And it's my duty to keep that from happening. But it WILL happen unless you follow orders, recruit. Is that clear?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Yes, milady!"

You say, "Form up, recruit. Your training began five minutes ago."

[movement spam to a place near the Gaudi markets]

PT Time!

Each star blinks out of the sky as a conflagration of lava, rock, and ash paints the night's canopy in a furious inferno of volcanic resplendence.

You say, "If you want to survive, recruit, you need to get tough. Are you tough, recruit?"

Whelp Melanie says, "I can handle fighting finks and gnomes, though I have no formal training so far."

You say, "It's a yes or no question, recruit."

Whelp Melanie says, "No..."

You have emoted: Mariel tilts her head as if mis-hearing. "No, what?"

Iari arrives from the north.

Iari hums a happy tune.

Whelp Melanie says, "No, I'm not tough enough, milady."

Iari blinks.

Iari tilts her head curiously.

You say, "Yet."

Melanie nods her head emphatically.

Midnight shadows coalesce around a new day, and Mother Night embraces the land in utter darkness. It is now the 2nd of Shanthin, 363 years after the Coming of Estarra.

Iari ponders the situation.

You have emoted: Mariel starts in with a number of horrible and grueling physical drills, from push-ups to crunches to running in place, which could best be summed up by you learning 16 athletics from her.

Deep in thought, Iari leans her cheek on her hand.

Melanie has requested that you share some of your knowledge of Athletics with her. 'OK' to commence the lesson.

You bow to Melanie and commence the lesson in Athletics.

Whelp Melanie discreetly stretches her muscles after the drills, still standing at attention.

You have emoted: Mariel nods, just barely, then starts the whole process over after declaring in a hard voice, "Break's over, recruit." Sparing Melanie a brief look before turning and pointing at the
road leading southeast, you say, "This is the beginning of a circle that leads around the market, recruit. And you're going to run 3 laps around it."

Whelp Melanie says, "Understood, milady."

You say, "Less talking, more running."

Melanie leaves to the southeast.

The spicy fragrances of exotic incense reach your nose, infusing the air accompanied by fleeting tendrils of smoke.

You have emoted: Mariel crosses her arms and taps her foot impatiently.

You see the following people here: Iari, Mariel

Melanie arrives from the southwest.

Melanie leaves to the north.

You mutter discontentedly.
[we monkey around chasing each other for a while and she eventually gets back on course]

Melanie gives you a respectful salute.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says to you, "I think you confused the poor girl."

You frown and say to Iari, "If she gets confused by this, she'll spend the rest of her life in a hopeless daze. Fortunately that won't be very long."

You say to Melanie, "Tired yet, recruit?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Not in the least, milady."

You narrow your eyes at Melanie in an unnerving manner.

You snarl, "Then do it again, and WORK this time!"

Melanie leaves to the southeast.

The exotic thrum of insects suddenly stills as the foreboding shivers of rumbling beneath the earth erupt into magnificent reverberations before quieting once again.

Whelp Melanie breathes heavily, recovering from her sixth lap.

Melanie snaps to attention zealously, her posture an example of
perfect military discipline.

The horizon glows with burnished shades of orange and red, heralding the imminent arrival of Father Sun upon the rim of the world.

You say to Melanie, "If you want to be better, faster, and stronger than your enemies, recruit, you need to work for it. There are creatures in the world and the planes beyond that could kill you by just thinking it."

Whelp Melanie nods, hating to acknowledge the fact.

Deep in thought, Iari leans her cheek on her hand.

Jabbing a harsh finger at the recruit, you say, "So get tough. And get smart. And get used to how you feel right now."

You say, "Now, form up. We've only just begun, recruit."

Iari begins to follow you.

You give Iari the once-over, eyeing her suspiciously.

You exclaim to Melanie, "Double-time! Forward march!"

Melanie follows you south.
Iari follows you south.
You speedwalk south to squarely before an enormous pyramid.
You have reached your destination.

Back at the Templar Pyramid

You say to Iari, "Hold here, citizen. I'll take care of her from here."

Whelp Melanie looks up at the pyramid, a glimmer of excitement in her eyes.

"Awwwww!" Iari says.

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis looks thoughtful and says, "It's been years since I've seen the inside of the Templar Pyramid."

Unimpressed, you say, "And?"

The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis smiles and says to you, "Just being nostalgic."

You grunt noncommitally.

You move about quickly and lose The Marvellous Queen Iari Damascene, Rose within the Oasis.

Melanie follows you ether.
 Stairs atop the Pyramid of the Templar. Flanked by looming statues of armored dracnari and the flame-stricken forms of massive, iron braziers, this wide staircase leads up the side of the pyramid towards a broad platform before the entrance. The stone underfoot is polished to a high gleam; desert sands, however, have settled into the nooks and crannies, pooling at the edges in small, shifting dunes. The air is hot, dry, and still. From this side of the Pyramid of the Templar, the western reaches of the city are clearly visible, as is much of the Scar. A platinum eye sigil is here. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. You see exits leading west and up.

[movement]

Melanie follows you northeast.

A sand-scattered proving ground. The ground in this wide, open chamber is scattered with a thick layer of sand. Looping and puddling stains of blood mark the pale, golden expanse: above, oil lamps provide flickering, dancing light to the interior. Bright-bladed weapons hung from the iron-mounted racks glitter from the walls; beneath, the chamber is lined with crimson, looping dracnari script. Two statues, one of a robed Illuminati, the other, of a Templar in sand-eroded armor, watch over the dueling grounds. Resplendent in gold and crimson armour, Hardari Ghan towers here. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. You see exits leading southeast and southwest.

Swollen, searing air slinks in through cracks and crevices, offering no escape.

You say to Melanie, "Stick that butter knife in the sand, recruit. It's about as useful as you are."

Melanie drops a steel claymore.

You have emoted: Mariel gives your sword a spiteful look as it juts from the ground.

You suddenly scoop up a steel claymore.

You have emoted: Mariel snatches it and irritably leans it over one shoulder, and tosses something to you.

You quickly toss a scabbard of the Templar knights to Melanie, who catches it nimbly.

Melanie begins to wield a scabbard of the Templar knights in her left hand.

You say, "That's one of mine, recruit. Wear it proudly."

Whelp Melanie says, "Thank you, milady!"

You say, "Keep it sheathed."

You start to wield a steel claymore in your hands.

Melanie ceases to wield a scabbard of the Templar knights in her left hand.

Narrowing her eyes, you say, "Until the first sign of trouble, anyway."

You have emoted: Mariel begins the weapon drills, beginning by explaining that it's generally a good idea to WEAR your SCABBARD and DRAW your KATANA when necessary. The lecture continues, with Mariel first going over the basics, which can most succinctly be explained by learning 7 Knighthood from her.

Melanie slips into a scabbard of the Templar knights.

With a flourish, Melanie draws a gold-hilted jade katana from a scabbard of the Templar knights.

Melanie has requested that you share some of your knowledge of Knighthood with her. 'OK' to commence the lesson.

You bow to Melanie and commence the lesson in Knighthood.

[amid the lesson spam] You snarl, "I said, keep it sheathed. Don't let the enemy know what weapons you're bringing to bear against them until you've stuck it into their skull."

The first rumbles of a distant eruption reverberate through every surface, causing the very foundations to shiver and quake.

With a flourish, Melanie slips a gold-hilted jade katana into a scabbard of the Templar knights.

You say, "New orders, recruit."

Whelp Melanie says, "Yes, milady?"

You have emoted: Mariel glances at you, then nods at the nearby knight.

You say to Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple, "Ghan! New blood. Get her sniveling self to bare competence in magical defense and technique while I complete my side of things."

You say to Melanie, "Your curriculum is outlined in CGHELP TEMPLARS. Learn from him like you did from me. Hold here until I return, recruit."
Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple exclaims, "Fast as dashro, fierce as a fire, and ten times as mean as both! That's a Templar!"

You move about quickly and lose Whelp Melanie.

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple bows to Melanie and commences the lesson in Combat.

You have emoted: Mariel spares a nod for Melanie as the lesson begins, and clomps off.

[I leave, then. Mariel's about to collapse from sleep deprivation...]

Your mind is whirling with thoughts - you cannot settle down to sleep. [thus did I get Iari to strip insomnia so I could fix that, and returned]

You say, "Status report, recruit."

Whelp Melanie says, "I have undergone all the training listed in CGHELP TEMPLARS, including the 16 lessons in Hunting and the 34 in Influence that were recommended."
Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple exclaims, "Fast as dashro, fierce as a fire, and ten times as mean as both! That's a Templar!"

You say, "Any remaining lessons?"

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple says to you, "And who are you, Templar? An Attendant?"

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple ponders you thoughtfully, looking you up and down.

OH SHI-

Whelp Melanie says, "55 lessons remaining, milady."

You say to Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple, "In the absence of other Templars, I am overseeing this recruit's training personally."

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple says, "Lass, you need to speak with more respect to your fellow Templars. You're lucky I'm an easy-going sort."

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple grunts noncommitally.

You look undecided and say, "Noted."

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple says to you, "Good you're caring for the recruit, lass. That part is well done."
The corners of Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

You nod your head at Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple.
Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple exclaims, "Hail to the Hidden Temple and the mysteries!"

The corners of Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

You say, "Sir."

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple tells you, "After all, can't set a bad example for the Whelp."

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple winks conspiratorially at you.

Sparkling grains of sand whisper and frolic across the floor, dusting every surface and settling into every crevice in sight.

You tell Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple, "More concerned about her not getting killed, sir."

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple tells you, "Suspect death will solve itself faster than bad conduct."

Turning back to Melanie, you say, "Stop slacking, recruit. I've got more to teach you about Knighthood."

Whelp Melanie says, "How many lessons, milady?"

Hardari Ghan, Knight of the Hidden Temple clasps his armored hands at the small of his back and rocks on his heels once, and twice, then goes still but for his breath.

You have emoted: Mariel regards Hardari with a final nod before her attention returns fully to Melanie. "Knighthood, recruit. On the double."

Melanie has requested that you share some of your knowledge of Knighthood with her. 'OK' to commence the lesson.

You bow to Melanie and commence the lesson in Knighthood. You bow to Melanie - the lesson in Knighthood is over.

The muffled turning and grumbling of wheels on stone pass by outside, followed by the sharp crack of a beastmaster's whip.

You say, "All of your remaining lessons, recruit. Learn as much about Knighthood as you can."

Whelp Melanie says, "Understood, milady. It has been done."

You nod your head emphatically.

You say, "At ease."

Melanie strikes a pose.

You have emoted: Mariel's only reaction to that is to raise an eyebrow. "Any questions, recruit?" she asks.

Whelp Melanie says, "Only one, milady: Are there any other tasks I must undertake before receiving new orders?"

You say, "We'll get to that. You understand all of your abilities?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Yes, milady."

You grunt noncommitally.

The muffled turning and grumbling of wheels on stone pass by outside, followed by the sharp crack of a beastmaster's whip.

You have emoted: Mariel inhales to speak again, but turns her head briefly as if hearing something distant. "Hold here a moment," she orders briskly.

[OOC stuff needed my attention for a sec]

You have emoted: Mariel returns with a bundle of leather stuff under one arm. "This is your raiment," she instructs as she hands it over to you. "Take it, leave, get changed, and report back to me. Double time!"

You give a leather skullcap to Whelp Melanie.
You give a leather vest to Whelp Melanie.
You give a pair of leather leggings to Whelp Melanie.
You give a pair of leather bracers to Whelp Melanie.

Melanie leaves to the southwest.

You say, "Form up, recruit. Your next tasks will be at the hands of the college professors."

With a wicked glint in her eye, you say, "They aren't as kind as I am. I hope you're ready to run around the city some more."

[we go to the college at double time]

You have emoted: Mariel stands facing you, with the dwarf Beloch barely visible behind her. "Now listen up, recruit," she barks, "this is Beloch, and he keeps the undesirables such as yourself out of the college." She crosses her arms and moves aside. "Greet him and see if he'll let you in."

Melanie greets Beloch Baruwski with a sincere smile. Beloch Baruwski says, "Can I trusht you, Jiu? I'm not suae.."
Whelp Melanie says, "Yes, you can trust me."
Beloch Baruwski says, "Well... you seEm l *hic* ike ya got a good heaad oN ya shoulders,, yees? WEll, xerhaps if some of thu memb-.. pkitrons here voucH forr you yes?"

You grunt noncommitally.

Staggering and almost tripping over his own two feet, a wealthy dracnari patron enters from the south.

Muttering irritably to herself, you say, "They'll let anyone in these days..."

Turning to you, you say, "You will do as instructed by ranking officials and your own intuition while here in the college, recruit. I won't be here to kiss your bruises anymore. Is that clear?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Crystal, milady."

You say, "Do you understand what it is you need to do from here, recruit?"

Whelp Melanie says, "Yes, milady."

You angrily say, "Then stop talking and start doing it!"

Melanie leaves to the east.

Comments