Fishing

Lusternia seems to be the only IRE game without a fishing system. I think if one were implemented, it would be both good for roleplay and good for people who don't buy credits to make a bit of money doing something other than bashing or influencing (really the only two options for making money if you don't buy credits) since both options get majorly boring. Implement a ranking system and achievements based on the weights of fish caught, maybe make it a bit dangerous by giving a small chance of being pulled in by a shark, whatever, but fishing needs to come to lusty. We have a bunch of water areas and really, who wants to CAST BLAST FISH or SWING FISH to catch them? Dunno about you, but swinging a sword at a fish seems a bit like overkill. Give me a fishing pole and some bait and I'll sit around and fish and not be bored. Also give fishing it's own skill rank that you advance in the more fish you catch, and the more skilled you get makes the chance of catching bigger(and thus more profitable) fish increase. Make it a bit like ratting, with certain NPCs scattered about that will buy your fish at a certain amount of gold per pound.

Questions? comments? Feedback? I don't know about you, but I love the thought of sitting on a riverbank and fishing the day away, having a picnic at the same time.

Comments

• Eh, I highly doubt Lusternia is in any way lacking in grind. We have more grind than other IRE games. And if you've played fishing in the other IRE games, that's exactly what they are: nothing but yet another type of grind, no doubt about that. Your suggestion is pretty much exactly that too: idle-grind. To buy bait, and then sit there, wait for a message, enter a command, and get a random chance to get a reward. Unless you're going to incorporate some kind of randomly generated puzzle solving that has infinite variations into the activity, then it's pointless.

You say bashing and influencing are boring, but I'd say fishing in this manner is just as boring, if not worse. Thanks, but no thanks. Fishing is one of the worst ideas to be implemented in the other IRE games, and I would hate to see it here in Lusternia.

• Make fishing available only in areas that are open PK and sure. Who doesn't want to gank people afking with loads of lootable spoils.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited September 2013
    You can make money questing, too. But I don't accept the premise that fishing would be somehow less boring than bashing or influencing. Although my only experience with it is from Achaea, in which it's a zero risk / minimal reward utter waste of time. 

I've also been fishing IRL before and I feel generally the same way about it. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Lerad said:
     Unless you're going to incorporate some kind of randomly generated puzzle solving that has infinite variations into the activity, then it's pointless.

Clearly, it needs to be another grid-puzzle. Match each fish to its preferred bait, habitat, and season based upon these dozen clues!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    No thank you, the only game to ever get fishing right was Ocarina of Time. In any other format it has been dull, repetitive and completely devoid of fun.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• But now we have trapping and they don't, anf as far as wilderness trade skill type things go that's way more original. It'd be cool if alongside the magical creatures there were similarly coded 'normal' traps which cost gold (or got included as craftables in Tracking?) and were used to catch 'normal' animals for meat/furs. You could even have fish traps, which brings us full circle - humans figured out that fishing by hand was a waste of time long before they figured out civilisation :p
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I'm told that Fishmeria was a lot of fun.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Morkarion said:
    No thank you, the only game to ever get fishing right was Ocarina of Time. In any other format it has been dull, repetitive and completely devoid of fun.
    I would argue that in RL format, fishing is dull, repetitive, and completely devoid of fun.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    ... I love RL fishing... I find it fun... I see some people here have not had good fishing trips, though...
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Enyalida said:
    Morkarion said:
    I would argue that in RL format, fishing is dull, repetitive, and completely devoid of fun.
    Depends on the scenario and company, but I would agree with you.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Grab a Celestian!

I don't think we need fishing, but if it gets into place, I want a slight chance to catch giant aggro fishmobs that you have to fight ala Pokemon.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'd prefer a Yoshi's Cookie style switch-to-match minigame.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ab hunting fishcatch
    HUNTING - FISHCATCH

Syntax: CATCH TROUT
    With just quick hands and a keen eye, you are able to catch trout that can be
    found in the rivers throughout the land.

Checkmate atheists.
  • edited September 2013
    i was thinking more along the lines of fishing in Imperian, which I find fun and NOT a waste of time, because at higher skill levels you can make quite a bit of money if yer lucky. It was just an idea, is all.

I just had my heart set on being a fisherman ever since I thought of this T_T
  • It's not a terrible idea, to be honest, but I agree with those who said Lusternia doesn't really need any more gold getting into the economy right now.

Why not have fish who can be kept as temporary mounts, with gold being used for bait? Fish with a million and you have the chance of catching Leviathan!
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    That's not how you do it! You have to throw a useless fish that only splashes around into the ocean, then it evolves.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • I honestly have always seen aetherhunting as lusternia's fishing.  You get on a boat, go to the deep and bait monsters.  Nothing like catching monsters from the deep!!

I would be interested in a solo form of fishing as long as it is more involved and interesting than cast, retrieve and watch tension.  Think it should revolve around catching some aggressive creature who is likely to rip your head off.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Gonna agree with the few others here, fishing in real life is actually a quite pleasant experience.  Shore, boat, whatever, it's peaceful and lets you shut your brain off for a while.  And, y'know, if you bring enough beer with you...:D
  • I love fishing IRL. I just bring books with me, and my ipod. Or spend time speaking with dad about all the things my mum doesn't like talking about. Oh, right, and to catch fish.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited September 2013
    I actually really enjoy sturgeon fishing off of the river bank in Oregon.  Big fish, and they're delicious.  I've gone out on boats a few time, and it's fun and all, but nothing beats sitting under a tree and sharing a beer or two with friends and family.  Haven't gotten to fish in years though, living in the desert makes for a distinct lack of fishing spots.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    I have done my fishing in Alaska. Halibut fishing in the sea, and salmon fishing down by Talkeetna, in the river.

Loved the deep sea fishing. Salmon fishing was fun, but there were too many people.
  • Leolamins said:

I honestly have always seen aetherhunting as lusternia's fishing.  You get on a boat, go to the deep and bait monsters.  Nothing like catching monsters from the deep!!

I would be interested in a solo form of fishing as long as it is more involved and interesting than cast, retrieve and watch tension.  Think it should revolve around catching some aggressive creature who is likely to rip your head off.

How about a solo form of aetherhunting? It would need to be less good at group play, but at the same time utilize the skillset and reward you for investing in it. Maybe some form of NPC aethership you could step on and be part of the crew? Or add a few extra skills for the solo form into the current aetherhunting skillset and allow things to be done with that. I think that this also could be beneficial to group play, because if more people both have the skillset and are familiar with the workings of aetherspace it may lower the barrier for group play which then in turn may cause there to be more groups focussed on it. It could also, in times of lower population / activity mean that people don't feel they wasted their credits on investing in something that gets rarely used.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • I doubt they're going to make another avenue for afk-aetherbashers to possibly abuse. As it is, group-aetherbashes usually have the leader constantly checking and making sure that their crew is all not afking, for the fear of having an admin show up and blow up the ship if they find afkers. And even then, afk-aetherbashing is probably still happening - if the admin can't be expected to catch every abuse case, neither can players.

Making solo aetherbashing be possible means that such abusers have another way of trying their luck. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the aetherbashing system as it is now: most players are actually bought into the enforcement system, and actively policing themselves, and aetherbashing is also one of the very few things that absolutely must be done with at least a handful of people. The rewards for taking part are also proportionately lucrative for the hassle and scale of organising an aetherbash, especially for those working toward titan or demigodhood, who do not have superior crits to rely on in vanilla bashing.

• Mmm, solo aetherhunting would need something interactive to it to stop automation. I think with that though it could possibly end up being something harder to automate. Because vanilla bashing is easy to near-fully automate and all you need to do is keep watch. Yes, you are more visible, I'll give it that much. But you can still be pretty alone in UV or top tier bashing places and nobody will think that you automate.

Also, I am open to the idea that solo aetherhunting could be vastly different and you wouldn't be sitting on a module pressing a button every so often. It could very well be that you do something like slivvening, or a whole new mechanic where you use some new module that is random enough / needs enough interaction that it becomes sufficiently hard to automate. Or, as the admins are watching group hunts, they could also watch these solo hunters, maybe even more than the groups as those are sufficiently scared they might get caught and be very strict that if you automate solo aetherhunting you will get dealt with accordingly. I understand the concern but tossing the idea aside on grounds of "meh, this will get automated anyway" can work counterproductive too.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Thing is though, any automated system for checking against automation can be automated against. And as we all know far too well, if it can be automated, it will be automated.
  • Rialorm said:
    Mmm, solo aetherhunting would need something interactive to it to stop automation. I think with that though it could possibly end up being something harder to automate. Because vanilla bashing is easy to near-fully automate and all you need to do is keep watch. Yes, you are more visible, I'll give it that much. But you can still be pretty alone in UV or top tier bashing places and nobody will think that you automate.

Nobody will think you're automating because efficient bashing is pretty much indistinguishable from automating. Grinding invites automation, no matter the game, no matter the purpose, no matter the reward. There's a reason most of our real life inventions have been methods to reduce and ease up the daily grind. At least until the invention of paperwork.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Kiradawea said:
    Rialorm said:
    Mmm, solo aetherhunting would need something interactive to it to stop automation. I think with that though it could possibly end up being something harder to automate. Because vanilla bashing is easy to near-fully automate and all you need to do is keep watch. Yes, you are more visible, I'll give it that much. But you can still be pretty alone in UV or top tier bashing places and nobody will think that you automate.

Nobody will think you're automating because efficient bashing is pretty much indistinguishable from automating. Grinding invites automation, no matter the game, no matter the purpose, no matter the reward. There's a reason most of our real life inventions have been methods to reduce and ease up the daily grind. At least until the invention of paperwork.
    As a programmer for custom software which often is requested to take the role of paperwork and throws in automation in the process to a degree where software anticipates what the user wants to do, I actually just had to laugh about this. May not have been intended as such but I needed a laugh so thank you for that anyway.
  • It was intended to get a chuckle yeah. In many ways, paperwork feels a whole lot like the modern day equivalent of standing at a factory line, attaching the same part to a machine over and over again.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.