Fishing

2»

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Honestly, unless we suddenly get PvE content to the degree of "Dodge the incoming instakill device moving into your room, with no prewarn text, that only can be seen by checking your map" esque mechanics, full automation will always be viable.

The issue is while unpredictable and RNG mechanics designed to counter automation seem like a good idea, you'd have to tune them to affect the 10-20 top end bashers, which means they'd be hell for most people. Otherwise the mechanic fails because it's not targeting the people who benefit the most from the current predictability of things, and designing content that excludes all but the minority is feeding the whole "rich get richer".

Also still no on the fishing thing, I really can't see a viable mechanic that would be anything but a text based version of WoW fishing, and I challenge anyone to find that fun*. I'd love to see more variation in content (I had an idea for a bounty hunter esque PvE system for example) but I don't believe this is the answer.

*If you say you do, you're either lying, a lobotomy patient or just not human.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Honestly, unless we suddenly get PvE content to the degree of "Dodge the incoming instakill device moving into your room, with no prewarn text, that only can be seen by checking your map" esque mechanics, full automation will always be viable.

The issue is while unpredictable and RNG mechanics designed to counter automation seem like a good idea, you'd have to tune them to affect the 10-20 top end bashers, which means they'd be hell for most people. Otherwise the mechanic fails because it's not targeting the people who benefit the most from the current predictability of things, and designing content that excludes all but the minority is feeding the whole "rich get richer".

Also still no on the fishing thing, I really can't see a viable mechanic that would be anything but a text based version of WoW fishing, and I challenge anyone to find that fun*. I'd love to see more variation in content (I had an idea for a bounty hunter esque PvE system for example) but I don't believe this is the answer.

*If you say you do, you're either lying, a lobotomy patient or just not human.

Uhh... when fishing in Achaea came out, I would spend about an hour and a half every morning or evening winding down by doing it.  Manually.
    And there's people who bash/influence manually too, but like anything else PvE content it's eventually automated and run at maximum efficiency by the upper tier of players.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• You challenged me to find it fun. :(

And if you specifically mean WoW style fishing, my old college roommie (and frat brother - bet you didn't know that about me) would spend about four hours on Friday or Saturday nights getting drunk and fishing on WoW.  We all thought he was crazy.
    I did specifically mean WoW style fishing, the fact your roomie had to get drunk to do it, and you all thought he was mentally unhinged proves my point.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Why do we need fishing again? It'll be more curios, no doubt... and the last thing we need more of is curios. As to RL fishing being fun... dunno, I tried it once, got bored after 10 minutes, left. Luckily the people that dragged me there didn't manage to talk me into carpooling.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.