Organisational RP. Idealist perceptions vs reality.

124»

Comments

• Elanorwen said:
    Glom RP kinda got spoiled for me when I realized that Glomdoring means "have no mercy" so... nothing matters but have no mercy! Glory be to have no mercy! Kinda amusing to watch it happen... anyway.

EDIT: Ickytrees would be better.
    Actually, it's just "no mercy". "F'ai" means "I have", thus "F'ai Glomdoring" = "I have no mercy", and "the Forest of Glomdoring" = "the Forest of No Mercy", and "Glory be to Glomdoring" = "Glory be to No Mercy", "Nothing Matters But Glomdoring" = "Nothing Matters But No Mercy".

Which is kind of cooler.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said:
    I only ever got spit on in New Celest.
    Sorry, we got rid of Inagin as soon as possible
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Eodh said:

Elanorwen said:
    Glom RP kinda got spoiled for me when I realized that Glomdoring means "have no mercy" so... nothing matters but have no mercy! Glory be to have no mercy! Kinda amusing to watch it happen... anyway.

EDIT: Ickytrees would be better.
    Actually, it's just "no mercy". "F'ai" means "I have", thus "F'ai Glomdoring" = "I have no mercy", and "the Forest of Glomdoring" = "the Forest of No Mercy", and "Glory be to Glomdoring" = "Glory be to No Mercy", "Nothing Matters But Glomdoring" = "Nothing Matters But No Mercy".

Which is kind of cooler.
    Been something like 3-4 months since I read stuff... and I'm not a lore-crazy, so you -might- be right... but then again, I noticed @Xenthos didn't try to correct me, so you might also be wrong. It's what I remember from reading the book of Crow and the history of granny plus how the faelings came to pass.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Rialorm said:
    In regards to caste system / serfs: I think this is an ok RP thing if it is a rank you can fairly easily get out of. Not too easy, but more that there is a combat way, a non-combat way, and perhaps a way you can get promoted out of it for random awesome. Spitting goes too far, even for Mag, that you'd do it to an NPC could be ok but everyone did go through the portal and that does give you even as a lowly serf some kind of status from the start above where an NPC beggar would be.
    That's rather the point... the caste system is... you're a scientist/artist, you're at the top of the food chain. You're a warrior, you're at the bottom. If you want to get out of there, you get to go be a scientist/artist, no medium ground, which is what makes it not work. You kill a bunch of enemies raiding Continuum? You get nada. You write a book? You get a shiny CF.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yeah, not really.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Caste is really defined however the group interpreting does.  Nothing says warriors cannot be considered teachers if they teach it.  There is no rule saying I cannot consider a "scientist" that collects cows as part of a morning ritual to be merely a step over peasant based on their actions.  

It sounds like Halli just has to set up a  standard system to leave peasantry and then make the basic castes
    Top:  Scientists - Scholars - Skilled Warriors (Established defenders and those working toward the betterment routinely) - Grand Merchants ( Portion of proceeds go toward the city betterment)
    2nd:  Students of any of the above - Warriors ( that work toward defense but not toward growth) - Merchants (If they sell to the city at a decent price and are citizens)
    3rd:   Aides/interns/assistants (not skilled enough to be students but no longer peasants)
    Bot:  Peasants

Then maybe have each group get a clan or something so they can organize and discuss amongst themselves readily. The warriors have a place to teach, scientists can run thesis across others, etc.  Create a place in each clan for "consultants", those who maybe can help with the area but chose another ( EX. Saran is a grand scientist but he would be a combat consultant among their ranks or vice versa).  If desired each clan can list the caste of the person. A person without such a clan has not met the basic requirements to join one.

Hows that?
    Daraius said:
    Yeah, not really.
    Not saying that's the way it is NOW. What I'm saying is that is the way it was before and that is why it is not likely to work in its previous incarnation. You can't ignore your defenders.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I think the idea of a caste system in Hallifax is an awesome idea because of the way the castes are structured. That said, I think it works better as an RP element, not a mechanical element. Mechanical would be the best way, but unfortunately, in a game like this, players assume that the best combatants should naturally be the most honoured, most important, and most in charge. Hallifax's caste RP was a direct challenge to that, and I think one worthy of being kept.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I like @Malarious's suggestion on the clans. That allows for a caste system divorced from the city favours system. CR could be a reflection of one's loyalty to the city. Yes, mechanically that would give people equal privileges. But for things like the city influence skills that is a good thing really. The downside is that in a 'real' caste system, a low rank would not have as much voting power than a high rank, so that would have to be kinda ignored. Still, imo, it seems an acceptable way to have the best of both.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • edited September 2013
    Yeah... so I logged into my sentinel, I looked at the "Caste Articles" and just headdesked so hard.

I mean, Firstly there's... no mention of any other castes what so ever other than the "highest". 

Second, it just... ignores the caste system all together. Like... the laws, procedures, and the enforcement of them is the responsibility of the middle castes, their entire reason for existing is so that the higher castes don't have to bother getting involved with such trivial matters such as ensuring that the city runs and is productive.

@Rialorm the idea of other clans was floated at the beginning and pretty heavily shot down. I'm hoping that as it appears the leadership has changed heavily that there will be a different attitude towards this. 

The lovely thing about the caste system is actually in the bureaucratic caste, one of the many things they're responsible for is maintaining the flow of communications throughout the city. With some time and effort, you could very likely craft a system that enhances the voting power of the higher castes while subtly diminishing that of the lower castes without the current... perhaps senate-like powers invested in the "highest caste". For example, there might be a Minister representing each caste (distinct castes, not the generic groupings), they could be responsible for communicating matters that need to be voted on to the relevant caste and learning how they should vote. Just because the Ministers representing the Artistic and Scholarly castes happen to break ties and well... the servants only really get a vote through one of the other castes.

Plus, then you have the bureaucracy trying to micromanage everything so you may find that you'll have say... a Minister for Social Interaction obviously quite distinct from the Minister for Social Engagement, of course and well... more religious types would probably ask the gods to help you if you ever get the two confused.
  • edited September 2013
    @Saran It should really be noted that the 'Caste Articles' listed are incredibly out of date and only define the Highest Caste/Peers Clan. Which, as you point out, only covers maybe 2/5s of the major castes [Science/Art] and even then only their top tier. So it's really a horrid misnomer [albeit one that's noted in the Articles chelp]. When were last discussing the Castes there was some push for getting each caste a clan, but we never got far enough along in discussion/planning. 

And as to votes, it should be noted the only two means of vote currently listed are either City Ref or Board Senator [GM] vote. And while I've been considering how we could implement the whole Caste Rep Vote, it may end up cluttering things up way more than would be 'fun' [even for a city ostensibly focused on the madness of bureaucracy and law]. 

It really depends on where we take these Article revisions

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• @Maellio part of the issue I see is also that the caste has powers given to it that don't make sense given the broader picture of hallifax. Perhaps in an effort to make them special and encourage the idea that they're the best of the best, but... it just doesn't seem like it really fits.