State of Roleplay?

Hey, folks. 

So, this isn't really a question that has a direct answer, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. 

Basically, I'm curious as to the state of roleplay in the game. I haven't played a MUD in a very long time but I've come into a lot of free time lately and a MUD would help keep me entertained quite nicely. However! I'm not really one for the whole PvP angle, especially in IRE games where it's as confusing as all hell and makes me balk every time. Which is unfortunate, because I like to play warrior types. 

But I'm rambling. Basically, I'd like to hear some opinions as to the general state of roleplay lately. How prevalent is it? What format does it generally take? Does it take place mostly in the main cities, private manses, in other areas? Are people generally collected into small groups that makes it difficult for newcomers and 'outsiders' to break in? Anything an (essentially) new player should know or be aware of?

For bonus points, I'm also a huge fan of Divine interaction and Order RP, so if there's any tidbits you can provide in that vein, that'd be wonderful. 

Answers

• The short answer is: Roleplay is what you make out of it. If you're not a roleplayer, no one will force it down your throat, but if you like roleplay, then there will be people around to roleplay with.

Roleplay is mostly focused within cities/communes, but there's always potential for cross-org roleplay as well. I've had plenty of interesting chats with Serenwilders over the years, even though nothing really developed around it.
  • Tacita said:

If you want to see examples of format, I'd go to the Event Scrolls forum and read some of the logs there. That should give you a good idea of the different variety of formats (some people are heavy on in-game emotes, some people hardly ever use them and write things themselves, some people are violent torrents of wall o' text, some people take their time with things - everyone's different and that's awesome).

=======================================================

This right here.  Alternatively, on the forums' home page in the left column, you can click the "roleplaying" tag and find quite a few logs without having to dig.  After all, it is the most tagged word!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Do note that there is a minimum of RP expected--you are required to remain IC at all times (no breaking into the Fresh Prince at your nexus), and if you act in a way that your city/communemates do not approve of, there will be IC consequences.

Beyond that, RP is what you make of it. You can be as shallow as "Rar i keel u cuz u nme" or become one of the most pivotal characters in your nation's history. It is all up to you.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Everiine said:
    Do note that there is a minimum of RP expected--you are required to remain IC at all times (no breaking into the Fresh Prince at your nexus), and if you act in a way that your city/communemates do not approve of, there will be IC consequences.

Beyond that, RP is what you make of it. You can be as shallow as "Rar i keel u cuz u nme" or become one of the most pivotal characters in your nation's history. It is all up to you.

Now, this is a story all about how
    My life got flipped-turned upside down
    And I'd like to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    I'll tell you how I became the princess of a place called Celest

In Syrinx Plaza Hotel born and raised
    The city park was where I spent most of my days
    Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
    And all playin some chess northeast of the pool
    When a couple of Mags who were up to no good
    Started making trouble in my neighborhood
    I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
    She said 'You're movin' with your auntie in the Star Palace'

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
    But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
    She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my backpack.
    I heard some Cantor's song and said, 'Might as well be a claque'.

Royals, yo this is bad
    Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
    This what the people of the Palace living like?
    Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that
    Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
    I don't think so
    I'll see when I get there
    I hope they're prepared for the princess of Celest

Well, the doors ended and when I came out
    There was a dude who looked like a guard standing there with my name out
    I ain't trying to get arrested yet
    I just got here
    I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for a mount and when it came near
    The permit tag said fresh and it had dots that were square
    If anything I could say that this mount was rare
    But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo, to Star Palace'

Pulled up to the palace about 7 or 8
    And I yelled to the turtle 'Yo homes smell ya later'
    I looked at my kingdom
    I was finally there
    To sit on my throne as the Princess of Celest
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    See, there was a reason I used that example.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Oh. I'm not new to roleplay in any way shape or form. I've been doing it for about eleven or twelve years now. I was largely asking where it generally was here, the cliqueyness of it, quality, all that jazz. But thank you all for your answers! 

Also that was glorious, Zouviquil. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    And she used the long version of the song, too. Bravo.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.