How does armor value compare with DMP?

Hello,

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the armor figures. What does 97% cutting armor value actually doing for me? The DMP concept is pretty straight forward so I'm trying to find some link, even anecdotal, between DMP and armor.

If we don't know then could someone suggest a test to perform to try and figure it out?

Thanks all!

Best Answer

Answers

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The armour values aren't %. You can temper armour to go over 100/100.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Oops, don't know why I put a "%" on there.

I just calculated 103 DMP as how much DMP it would take to reach a damage reduction of 48%. This figure is close to the actual armor value of 97 that the 48 figure was derived from. Is it possible that armor value actually does follow the DMP weight scheme but doesn't affect diminished returns for DMP?
  • I doubt it follows the same system as DMP. If it did, it would be very easy to understand it, and we'd have been told that's how it works by now (or figured it out by ourselves). Of course, all we can do is theorise about it, but I very much doubt it.
  • Also, attacks have their own formula of reducible, and non-reducible portions. Different attacks have different formulae. I'm not sure, but I doubt there is an attack that is 100% reducible, therefore the 48% reduction of dmp only ever reduces a 48% of a part of an attack anyway.

In other words, don't bother trying to figure it out. The bigger the dmp/armour rating, the better it is, generally.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    From what I remember, it was mentioned that armor is taken into account on the spot when warrior/monk attacks are begun, in a formula that takes into account the attacker's weapon stats, their strength, their dexterity, the victim's dexterity, some random factoring, and the victim's armor, in an arcane formula. So, armor will have slightly different effect depending on all of those factors. Basically: As @Lerad said... you can't figure it out by testing it, just try to get lots.