Quest Instructions

I haven't found anything in the rules about it, but the very noticeable lack of quest walk throughs on these forums, and even on third party hosted sites has my brain-cogs whirring.

What is the official stance on quest walkthroughs? Are they permitted in-game? Are they permitted outside?

What's the deal?
A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    This is the one most of us use: http://pastebin.com/jLJ3JryV

Answers

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Thank goodness, since there's too many quests no one will figure out otherwise.
  • Spread walkthroughs? I thought asking for hints or questions on specific parts on the forums was ok when you got stuck but distributing whole walkthroughs seems lame.
  • Yeah. Personally, I'd rather just see hints and tips to avoid the "Guess The Syntax" game.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The hardest part of a few quests is people haven't the clue where to actually start them, running around the area hitting every NPC with greet and getting nowhere, turns out you need to grab some random item hidden in a room description in the corner of a zone.

I feel sorry for the person who spent forever trying to find that out the first time.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    A lot of quests feel like they had a god-possessed npc helping people go through quests for the first time. A few basically only make sense in that context.
  • Example: Finding the Tainted Rock of Nightmares. Yes, theoretically you could do it today, but in practice you're never going to figure it out.
  • Rivius said:
    Like Queen Serelyn's story. Even with people telling me where to search, I can't find start that quest.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited October 2013
    @Iytha that sounds vaguely familiar, which one is that if you don't mind sharing?

Open offer to anyone stuck on a quest- forum or IG msg me and I'll try to help. I believe somewhere there was once a thread for quest Q&A/help as well.
    Morkarion said:
    The hardest part of a few quests is people haven't the clue where to actually start them, running around the area hitting every NPC with greet and getting nowhere, turns out you need to grab some random item hidden in a room description in the corner of a zone.

I feel sorry for the person who spent forever trying to find that out the first time.
    Some of us enjoy the buggy torture of first run-through quests!
    Kiradawea said:
    Rivius said:
    Like Queen Serelyn's story. Even with people telling me where to search, I can't find start that quest.
    You start Queen Serelyn's story at Eliahi v22533 in the Southern Mts little nook. Edit: when she tells you to find the 3 'things' make sure you have help for the one on the Cay, or bubble bubble pop pop dead (it can be done solo, but very hard)
  • @Ixion Event News 21. Way back when Dreamweaving was released, Ladantine was yelling at the Geomancers and telling them where to find the chips.
  • Caerlyr said:
    This is the one most of us use: http://pastebin.com/jLJ3JryV
    And here silly me was working them out myself!
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • Ixion said:
    @Iytha that sounds vaguely familiar, which one is that if you don't mind sharing?

Open offer to anyone stuck on a quest- forum or IG msg me and I'll try to help. I believe somewhere there was once a thread for quest Q&A/help as well.
    Morkarion said:

Some of us enjoy the buggy torture of first run-through quests!
    Kiradawea said:
    Rivius said:
    You start Queen Serelyn's story at Eliahi v22533 in the Southern Mts little nook. Edit: when she tells you to find the 3 'things' make sure you have help for the one on the Cay, or bubble bubble pop pop dead (it can be done solo, but very hard)
    Mount Wend was a pain the first time around. Figuring it out was easy enough, well, except for how to influence the kids, but there were quite a few bugs that made it impossible to complete. And it was just luck that helped me figure out how to open the gates. ... and I still had fun with it.

As for Serelyn. I suppose it's my own fault for saying I can't start it. I've gotten to the point where I get this message

Lady Eliahi Inalai says, "I yet require a tablet that was last recorded as being within a sea-side chapel, upon the Isle of Celest. I pray it still remains."

But even after probing every word in the long desc in every room and checking for hidden exits in every room, I still can't find it.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • It's sunken, in the Sea of Despair. You need to go to the bottom part of the northern section, just west of the break in the ocean circle. Hidden ... south exit, I think? Might be an in on the south wall. Then there's an up. It's a deathtrap, of course.
  • Thanks. That quest has had me pounding my head for quite a while.
  • Using a walkthrough allows you to enjoy all of the tedium of questing with none of the satisfaction of figuring things out yourself. With the exception of have-to-do quests, I don't understand why people would want this.

I'm also really disappointed to see explicit instructions for people's epic quests being distributed ooc. That seems really wrong to me.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited October 2013
    It may seem wrong, and personally I won't look at it unless stuck, but these things already happen. With the increased connectivity that the internet provides (see things like pastebin and facebook) it becomes much harder to stop it. So in the end it is more fair to allow for it so that nobody is left behind. Nobody says you have to do it, but it is an option.

I personally however would like to see more use of the quests list ingame and the hints system so that things become clearer and quest guides are more of a backup. I don't want quests to be like graphical MMOs, where you are told to go to spot X (with an arrow), kill thing Y (and the game points at it again) and do an endless variation of that. But I do think for our current quests a good baseline would be awareness of them existing ingame + some kind of way of knowing where or how to start. This could be implemented incrementally, starting with the most commonly done quests and working down the list to the most obscure. Kinda like how we get bug fixes / game changes trickling down. Alternatively it could be a big overhaul like the new combat system. Maybe an idea for what to do after that is done? :)
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Steal the dialogue system from Aetolia.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • edited October 2013
    @Iytha thanks I figured it had to do with the chips/rocks. Did anyone save the final poems/ritual words that opened the earth lords area? When you say it could be done today you mean the chips are still in the hiding spots? I recall one being in Glom.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    One of them was in the room of rituals in the Geo guildhall.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Ixion said:
    @Iytha thanks I figured it had to do with the chips/rocks. Did anyone save the final poems/ritual words that opened the earth lords area?
    As far as I know, no. Nobody did.

When you say it could be done today you mean the chips are still in the hiding spots? I recall one being in Glom.
    Yes. There's one in the Geo guildhall, one in Tosha, one in Glom and one that I don't know where it is.
  • Not sure where else to ask, but, how do you start the Jaryn-Rhianna quest again? I did it a long time ago, and I can't remember. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    On a full moon (I believe at least, it might be the new moon instead), you need to go to the bush in Wydyr and pull the berries out of it.

It is a very time-centric quest.
  • Aha, thank you :)
  • Full moon is correct. Once you do the first part though, the quest is pretty straight-forward.
  • how do you use the ice pick for Rikenfriez?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    USE PICK ON ICE ?  It's something like that, at least.