Best way to deal with OOC comments.

Hi, guys. Quick question. I have an eager newbie here, but said person needs a few pointers. I'd mostly just like to know how most people deal with the likes of:

<person> says, "How would I find a room number?"

While obviously completely OOC, I'd dearly love a way to turn this into IC interaction/RP.

Thanks.

Comments

• <person> smiles with a wink and says, "It is a pleasure to meet you also. I have seen you around. I am trying not to bother people too much much with my noob questions."

Pl2halp! :(
  • Best I came up with in the interim was this (Didn't want to leave her waiting):

You tell <person>, "Just a quick pointer for you. Using the word 'noob' is considered out of character. When you get a moment, if you might peruse over
    HELP OOC, it will help you massively. As for learning, if you might kindly take a look at an excellent scroll we have available: CGHELP LEARNING. It will provide much insight. If there are any questions you have, however, please don't hesitate to ask."

Did I deal with this right? *hope*
  • Unfortunately, there's always a little bit of an OOC aspect when teaching true newbies, as  at some point they'll need help with mechanical stuff and for some of it, like aliases and room numbers and the like, you have to discuss it with them ooc.

Just take the really atmosphere-breaking stuff to tells, and gently as you can, direct them to HELP OOC if they are having a hard time grasping the "keep mechanical stuff private"

With a few exceptions, you can keep orientations IC for the vast majority of the learning process.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • Yeah. Pretty much what I did. Seems to be going well so far and I am doing the 'ask me if you need anything' thing at the moment, but regardless, yay new people!
  • Perhaps it's because I'm not very inventive, but I'm having a hard time posing certain questions in an IC fashion. Relieved to see not everyone is that unforgiving when a newbie accidentally messes up and breaks immersion by usage of OOC terms. I've already experienced someone blocking and/or ignoring because of this very mistake.

^ Also, Aerotan, that is pretty cleverly done!

• I really wish newbie was still accessible after 30, from a new player point of view. I didn't have a freaking clue where to ask questions like that, and felt helpless trying not to ask them IC.
  • Ennys said:
    I really wish newbie was still accessible after 30, from a new player point of view. I didn't have a freaking clue where to ask questions like that, and felt helpless trying not to ask them IC.
    You could ask the guides, when they're around... at least, that's what I did. But yeah, asking ooc questions is awkward.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited October 2013
    There's a large amount of ways to deal with this, and unless you're rude to the player, they all have valid points. 
    Caerlyr said:
    <person> says, "How would I find a room number?"

While obviously completely OOC, I'd dearly love a way to turn this into IC interaction/RP.

If you're alone with the person, I'll generally just explain it. If you're in a room with other people, I'll usually use a tell, or IC, I can tell them to consult their map, and the coordinates should be listed.

Caerlyr said:
    <person> smiles with a wink and says, "It is a pleasure to meet you also. I have seen you around. I am trying not to bother people too much much with my noob questions."

Pl2halp! :(
    Roughly the same idea. If you're alone with them, let it go but gently prod them IC. If it bothers you, or if you're in a room with other people, pretend they said "newbie" and roll with it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Mostly what's been said, though I'd like to add that it is imperative that you do not break character yourself to respond to them. If we have euphemisms for it (or you can come up with one, <3 Aerotan), go with that, and handle all stuff you can only do OOC in tells with flags, the way most of us already do. Though it might be wise to add that some people ignore those tells.

True newbies tend very quickly to emulate what they see, in many, many more ways than this. Show them the accepted way to handle issues like this, and they'll almost invariably follow suit. If they see you respond to a break of character with a break in yours, it starts becoming much more difficult to break that habit. Above all else, don't be militant about it, just demonstrate the way to handle it.

For IC interaction, if you simply can't find a way to bend what they're saying into something IC, handle it OOC and just move on to something else (doesn't usually matter what) that is very IC, when the opportunity arises. Throw a few custom emotes at them. The vast majority will bite, and emote right back at you. ;)

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • I just say that room numbers were assigned by the Fellowship of Explorers (the same 'people' who keep track of explorer ranks).