National Novel Writing Month 2013

A very happy October 29th to you all! November is fast approaching, and for some of us, that means NaNoWriMo anxiety is starting up once again.

What is NaNoWriMo, some of you ask? National Novel Writing Month, where for the entire month of November, poor, deluded souls attempt to write 50,000 words, usually aiming towards completing a novel. It's a great way to force yourself to write the things you always intended to write about, but never followed through on, as you can complain to tons of people doing the same sort of silliness you are. Indeed, that manifesto you've been planning about Fain and Terentia's secret love affair can finally coalesce in a glorious burst of caffeine-fueled writing to truly wow the Lusternian Council of Vesteran Honours!

It has been a few years since I attempted this (in November 2009 I hit 30k!), but I am doing so this year, and thought it would be a good idea to spread my future miseries to the playerbase by inviting them to join. This thread can serve as a place for people to share word counts, tips, and just generally gripe and moan about the self-imposed workload of this ridiculous write-a-thon.

So writers, get your pens ready, and your coffee brewing for November 1st! And then distract yourself with these comics.

Comments

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I'm in! If there are a bunch of us, we should set up some sort of social support group :)

Not writing a Lusty-themed novel this year, but having done so last year I can attest to the number of credits you can make by spending the following five months submitting your work for Bardics! ;)
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    This instantly reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa tries writing a book and spends weeks procrastinating and doing anything but actual writing.

I've certainly not the inspiration right now to sit down and write 50k words, but I wish those who do the best of luck.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I haven't attempted it for quite a few years either, but it serves as a great motivator to get projects finished (like unfinished Lusternia books, hmm) so I am in! I wonder if my old account still exists...

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'm considering this. It will certainly be a challenge.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I am equally considering this... and have ideas... yet mrrgle

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited October 2013
    TBH I've already got a couple of books I've been working on for some time now, so it doesn't feel right to take part in this when I have had several months head start, with the intention of getting my books published, plus I don't really have time to set those books aside and work on a new book, I do have a publishing deadline.

EDIT: Plus on November 2-3 I'm going to be taking part in the Extra Life gaming marathon.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • This time around I'm planning on trying to finish and edit book 1&2 and start on the third book in a trilogy I'm working on. Can only hope it doesn't cut into my Lusternia time.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • I don't think I've ever wrote more than... 300 words.
    Since there are a few of us, would people be up for a Skype group or somewhere similar to rant about wordcount?

This is my sixth year doing it, though I've only succeeded the past 3 (had two failures before that, one where I got nowhere near and one where I got about halfway), so I'm very happy to offer allegedly sage wisdom, and more realistically a lot of cheering. Every time I've done it has been pretty much solo, so I'd like to get into the community side of things this time.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It's been longer than I realised. 2007 was my last attempt. I'm keen for some sort of community cheer squad.

• I've been vacillating wildly on this for the past three weeks.

Who knows. Maybe when November 1st comes around I'll suddenly feel fired with enthusiasm.

Maybe. 
  • I'm doing it, so hard. Never won, could really use more support groups in this. All the support circles! I'm so excited. @Tacita totally down for a skype group. I have local write ins and writers workshops too.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
    Does anyone have a preference on where? Skype seems most obvious as it's what most people use these days but I'm happy to set something up elsewhere.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited October 2013
    I think I might do this, course workload permitting. If I can get over any guilt that might occur regarding the fact that I'll be writing something new rather than working on my already-existent-yet-woefully-incomplete novels.

Edit: ...And since I managed to come up with characters, a plot, conflicts, and setting in the five minutes following this post, I think that means I need to do it.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Tacita said:
    Does anyone have a preference on where? Skype seems most obvious as it's what most people use these days but I'm happy to set something up elsewhere.
    My one concern about Skype is, from experience, Skype is the easiest way to be distracted from writing by the joys of instant socialization. However if that's the best method to keep in touch, I am willing to join such a group with the understanding I may "Do Not Disturb" quite often.
  • Hrm. I suppose I might go ahead and join in... I've had an idea I've been tinkering with in my head for the past year and a half or so...
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    edited October 2013
    I'm debating; maybe I'll join in. This time of year just tends to be when schoolwork is heaviest for me. @-)

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Isune said:
    Tacita said:
    My one concern about Skype is, from experience, Skype is the easiest way to be distracted from writing by the joys of instant socialization. However if that's the best method to keep in touch, I am willing to join such a group with the understanding I may "Do Not Disturb" quite often.
    You can silence and avoid through various means (messing with your notifications tray in windows for example) quieten the "SOMEONE IS SAYING STUFF" notifications. Personally unless I'm checking Skype, I don't know if people are nudging me. Which is handy because the only times I don't pay attention are when i don't want to.

Most of it can be done through windows control panel, if you use a different IOS well erm.... google it?

But Skype really is a great way to form groups and have social networking, far better than stalkerbook.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I have always wanted to do this. The one time I tried a few years ago, I failed rather badly at the challenge.

That said.I might try again this year and would be interested in some sort of group.
    edited October 2013
    I'm going to start up a Skype group then - people should absolutely feel free to turn it onto silent if they wish so that they can drop in and out as they wish.

My Skype name is jupiter_lament, so go ahead and add me with a note saying who you are/to add you to the group! And if I haven't added you but I have you on my flist then poke me because I've probably been blind rather than missed you out on purpose :D

ETA: Just incase anyone doesn't know how to silence it - you want to go Conversation > Notification Settings and it's all in there. Simples!
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I'm tempted to try this just to get myself to start writing again. I haven't done so seriously since college and I'm not even sure I can do that very well anymore if I tried.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I've been trying to finish off a play for Lusternia I started writing ages ago now, but no way will it be anywhere near 50,000 words.

I hope people who do finish share their work for us to praise and admire though? I'm just after catching up on the submissions for the last two month's bardic competitions and am reminded of how much I enjoy reading things that aren't work related. (I promise I wasn't procrastinating)

(@Entrias, I liked how I was portrayed, just pretend I did all that IG too! @Daraius Loved the short story.)