Help Test the Newbie Tour; Receive 10 Bound Credits!

123457»

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Zvoltz said:

If you end up helping them and they complete their intro tasks ahead of time because you teach them skills or help them with collegium tasks, they don't lose anything as their Fate Guide will recognize that it was done without them and just move to the next step.
    This seems like a very important point. The Fate guides should make it abundantly clear to the newbie that the newbie can receive some of the same assistance from other players. Probably around the time the newbie is sent to the city, the guide can explain that their citymates are most likely willing to help.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    edited September 2013
    Creating a character with Nexus. 

• The Hallifax blurb says the only guild open in Hallifax is "the Aeromancy guild."
    • The Gaudiguch blurb begins with "he city of Gaudiguch" and says they value "the Light of individuality." Likewise, "the Pyromancy guild" is the only one noted as open.
    • Character creation seems to stall after agreeing to take the tour. I can cancel and then log in with the character, but Lachesis is unresponsive.
    EDIT: Tried on a different computer, and it seems like the intro just does not start with Nexus. To me this is an enormous problem, considering my experience with the Flash client. It means a newbie is not going to have a satisfactory first experience with Lusternia -- or no first experience at all if they try to use Nexus. 
    I used to make cakes.

• FYI, we've been tweaking the tour and rearranging the tasks based on some third party feedback. Let us know what you think!
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    edited September 2013
    Estarra said:
    FYI, we've been tweaking the tour and rearranging the tasks based on some third party feedback. Let us know what you think!
    I think it's an improvement. Having the shadow appear and attack pretty much immediately makes things more interesting, though it seems like the shadow never actually will attack you, despite impending doom and all. I actually sat there and waited for it to do something, and no attack ever came. This detracts from the gravitas it may be intended to create, especially the second time around when it is much more durable.

I would like to note, however, that newbies still won't appear on CGWHO until after Atropos leaves them, and not after they talk on CT or Lachesis is done with them, or any earlier time. I -strongly- suggest that they appear on CGWHO as soon as they are directed to work on -any- collegium tasks (yes, I did bug this, I just feel inclined to post it as well for added emphasis).

EDIT:

Also, sorry to nitpick, but I want to point out this particular message:

You step out of a portal of swirling colours and into darkness, memories fading like shadows into the dusk. Even the memory of stepping through the portal begins to dim, though through an effort of will you hold onto the fragile memory that you have just stepped through the Portal of Fate to become initiated into the Mysteries.

You see this as soon as you are done confirming your password for your new character. You also see it again right after you confirm your race/guild selection and Clotho appears in full. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if it is intended, so as to create a sense of deja vu, but the end result to me is... offputting.
    Last night we had a novice (Hakhis, if you have a way of looking it up) who appeared on CT without a clue what to do. No record in the logs about him stepping through the portal as a citizen, and he was already marked as having graduated the collegium. When asked if he'd done the tour, he said the fates didn't want to speak with him, which to me sounds kind of like my experience with trying to start the tour with Nexus (although I always ended up in an exit-less room with no way to interact with the guide). 

So unless he created the character a week ago, very slyly completed just enough collegium tasks, and then faked being confused... we got some kinda bug. 

P.S. The character no longer exists. Hallifaxian furries shed a single tear.
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    Last night we had a novice (Hakhis, if you have a way of looking it up) who appeared on CT without a clue what to do. No record in the logs about him stepping through the portal as a citizen, and he was already marked as having graduated the collegium. When asked if he'd done the tour, he said the fates didn't want to speak with him, which to me sounds kind of like my experience with trying to start the tour with Nexus (although I always ended up in an exit-less room with no way to interact with the guide). 

So unless he created the character a week ago, very slyly completed just enough collegium tasks, and then faked being confused... we got some kinda bug. 

P.S. The character no longer exists. Hallifaxian furries shed a single tear.
    Yeah, I suspected as much... Might want to talk to Reah about the character she tried to make first. For some reason she ended up with the title of Air Neophyte as a novice Aquamancer, and didn't show up when I tried to take a look at honours.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I could start a newbie again to try to figure this out (but would rather not put the hour and a half in again). I'm confused about when newbies are supposed to appear on certain lists. I'm a compulsive CWHO and QW checker (the system I use lets me color-code people's names by city/commune, so I'm always checking to make sure I haven't missed anyone). It seems that newbies come out of the Portal of Fate, are added to CWHO, and added to CGWHO at different times. This makes it difficult to interact with them right away, since we don't know they are here. If the new intro is supposed to encourage newbies and older players to interact sooner, why the delay?

Example: I was standing at the Moonhart Mother Tree, looking at a newbie (Spiritinger, title "Pure Chime"). But she didn't appear on CWHO. If I wasn't standing in the room with her, I would have never known that she existed and would have ignored her.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Likewise, there was apparently a novice today in the Hartstone who was COL rank under GW, but never showed up on CGW. If she hadn't spoken up on Newbie, I'd not have known she was there at all, and as it was I had very little information worth bestowing. (Thanks Aiyana for giving me the basic idea of where newbie druids need to put lessons.)
    I would much rather see newbies added to CWHO and CGWHO the moment they step out of the Portal of Fate. That way, players can help them immediately if needed.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Everiine said:

I would much rather see newbies added to CWHO and CGWHO the moment they step out of the Portal of Fate. That way, players can help them immediately if needed.

Definitely agree there. Weird thing about this guy was he didn't even have a "Hakhis has stepped out of the Portal" entry in the city logs. He was on CWHO, but not on CGWHO because he his honors deemed him a graduate.

I used to make cakes.

edited October 2013
    Somewhat necro, but I'm talking to a newbie who is at the part of the intro where he is doing the collegium quests, but he still doesn't show up on CWHO, GWHO, or CGWHO. Again, I only knew to check on him and help him out because I checked QW, found someone that wasn't manually added to my system's color scheming, and discovered that he was in my guild. Players can't help newbies if we don't know that they exist.

EDIT: The standard "(Glade): Please welcome Lheris who has just enrolled into the Ancestral Glade of the Moonharts to learn the ways of the Serenguard!
    (Serenwilde): Please welcome Lheris who just stepped out of the Portal of Fate as a new commune member!" Showed up AFTER he had completed 4 of the 6 tasks, one of which required help from another player.

They should be "enrolled" when the Fates first instruct them to start their collegium quests, they should show up on CGWHO and these messages should fire then, not as they do now when the newbie is almost through.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    First time doing the new intro. I didn't explore every avenue, but I did all the fate tasks as they were presented to me so I could pass that section.

Few main things:

1) If I were a newbie, once it came to the collegium quests, I would have become completely stuck and probably just gone 'too hard, new game'. I was not greeted by the org so was not directed to CGT, or how to look up CGHELP. Meaning, I'm left with tasks such as geography, find all these people in places you don't know, without knowing how to find the help files. At the very least, give a prompt upon going to the collegium to ask on there if you need help. There's nothing to indicate that you can go on and do other things, really, because whilever the fate guide is there, 9/10 people are going to want to finish the intro before actively looking to engage with people. Ideally, people should be greeting novices (there were 14 people online in the org!! Come on guys!) but hinting to ask for help on CGT if needed would go a long way, I think.

2) I followed the tasks as the came to me (the required tasks) and never got anything about the prompt. I presumed it would come up, but it never did. It's disconcerting to run out of ego or mana for your attack when you can't see your basic vitals. It's not something that should be able to be skipped to finish, it's too important to know. Ideally, you want it there before you start any sort of hunting with your skills (so you at least realise it costs mana/ego for certain attacks).

3) I also never was prompted to enable my map. I've played games without an in-game map, but none are so complicated to navigate as Lusternia. I think it should also be required to at least know how to config it on before passing the intro.

Yes, true newbies will often explore every option put forward by the gods, but not all of them will - I'm definitely one of those people who are more interested in getting past the intro so I can dive into the game proper, and I think there are others out there like me. (Hell, I didn't read about of the histories etc until about a year after I started playing >_>)

Lavinya said:

1) If I were a newbie, once it came to the collegium quests, I would have become completely stuck and probably just gone 'too hard, new game'. I was not greeted by the org so was not directed to CGT, or how to look up CGHELP. Meaning, I'm left with tasks such as geography, find all these people in places you don't know, without knowing how to find the help files. At the very least, give a prompt upon going to the collegium to ask on there if you need help. There's nothing to indicate that you can go on and do other things, really, because whilever the fate guide is there, 9/10 people are going to want to finish the intro before actively looking to engage with people. Ideally, people should be greeting novices (there were 14 people online in the org!! Come on guys!) but hinting to ask for help on CGT if needed would go a long way, I think.

Unless you spoke on CT, they have no way of knowing that you exist (see my previous posts). Speaking on CT is what makes you show up on CWHO for some reason. So if you never spoke, anyone looking at CWHO wouldn't see your name and wouldn't know you were there. I'm not sure if it works the same way for CGT (which, as you mention, does not seem to have a hint telling you to use it), except that I know that you don't appear on CGWHO right away either. Last time I saw someone appear on CGWHO was when they completed their four collegium tasks, which is after they would need to use CGT anyway.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Would it be possible for the admin to institute a way to bypass the whole intro for those who don't want to go through it?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I know there was an out in Achaea at some point, so it's probably doable. (Not sure now, haven't played Achaea in roughly 10 years)
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    There was an out in the old intro, you could just end journey (or journey end, I always got it mixed up).

• Shaddus said:
    Would it be possible for the admin to institute a way to bypass the whole intro for those who don't want to go through it?
    GUIDE DISMISS;play game as usual

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Don't the Fates reappear every time you log in, though?
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I know it is kind of late for this here but can still bring up the issue, the killing of the shadow for the second time is very very buggy. I have seen quite a few novices asking on newbie about it because they cannot seem to find it. I created a character a few nights ago and ran into the exact same problem. I spent the better part of an hour poking around every corner of newton and could not find it. It was not until I logged out and back in that it finally appeared.

I will be doing the quest a few more times as I have a small project I am working on, and may end up submitting a big report if it is necessary but I can attest first hand that the shadow is NOT showing up when you teleport back to newton on some occasions. 
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• If you want the average player to be able to help newbies then you need to give them the tools to do so. Players need to be able to figure out what is holding up the newbie with a minimal of effort. There needs to be some sort of status newbie command with notes on what they need to do next to complete that task.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Newbies should also be able to abandon the guide in a more lasting fashion if they want to, instead of it constantly popping back up and forcing them to play along with it or be stuck bashing newton because they can't RENOUNCE INNOCENCE.