Warning for Mudlet users.

It has come to my attention that a select few people are abusing a known bug within Mudlet to cause a denial of service attack against 'enemies'.
Details of the bug can be found here. (While the bug may not seem related, the bottom line is that receiving a large number of GMCP packets in a short space of time is what is causing the problem).

Should you experience a large number of repeated 'attacks' mid-combat, the chances are that the bug is being used against you. The primary one I have noticed at this stage is the looping of the same command on each prompt when prismatic is active.

Steps you can take to alleviate the problem: Very little at the moment. There is a fix for the issue coming soon. A few people, myself included, have had limited success in disabling MCCP. (Settings -> Special settings -> Force compression off).

All in all, just stay vigilant. The admin do not consider this a problem despite it being a full-on denial of service attack.

Comments

• NochtNocht Glomdoring
    We consider it a problem with your client, not the game. While we sympathize, it really needs to be addressed on the player's end.
  • Oh, I totally agree on that point.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Caerlyr said:

Should you experience a large number of repeated 'attacks' mid-combat, the chances are that the bug is being used against you. The primary one I have noticed at this stage is the looping of the same command on each prompt when prismatic is active.

I have to ask: Is there any way to actually tell whether someone "knows about the issue" or not?  People have been spamming attacks against prismatic barrier for real-life years.  Long before Mudlet ever even existed.

It gives them something to do when they cannot do anything else (personally I usually just switch to invoke spring, but even then).

I feel like saying the chances that someone hitting prismatic is trying to "denial of service" you is a bit of an over-reaction unless people have been trying across every single client ever since the first Lusternian used Trueheal / Full / Serpent.

I will say that intentionally trying to lag someone out is very unfair, but at the same time declaring that everyone who attacks you while waiting for the barrier to fall is abusing things also seems similarly unfair.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    You should not discuss issues on the forums.

Thank you.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    ok, I can't mention issues

This isn't a mudlet bug, this is someone needs an excuse to defend why they died

This is a log of Ardmore holding enter down on shieldstun with my serpent up, he's hitting me about 10 times a second. I use mudlet, I didn't lag out, or hit 'denial of service'

This is straight up libel, and he has no proof other than a gmcp bug that isn't even related to the incident (turns out hitting shieldstun on prismatic only updates Chars.Vital gmcp info, not rift info or anything to the degree that they are testing in relation to the bug posted, check it out yourself, they're doing operations in the thousands of gmcp messages in seconds vs 10-15 times a second). 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • For those wishing to experience the bug for themselves, it is very easily reproduced using the following method:

Ensure both GMCP and MCCP is enabled.
    Type QL
    Keep your finger on enter for 10/15 seconds.

Notice how you no longer receive any output into the main window? There's your bug.

The log above demonstrates absolutely nothing given that many factors can mitigate the issue, most notably, the recommendation I suggested.
  • Xenthos said:
    I feel like saying the chances that someone hitting prismatic is trying to "denial of service" you is a bit of an over-reaction unless people have been trying across every single client ever since the first Lusternian used Trueheal / Full / Serpent.

While I would normally completely agree you on such matters, it's a little strange how this is happening more and more lately, given how the bug has been exposed to the public.
  • The bottom line is this: Multiple GMCP packets of -any- origin and type within a short space of time is causing a denial of service.

I do firmly believe this thread can go no further. The intent of its creation was to make users aware. Might it be locked, please? Thanks.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here

Caerlyr said:
    For those wishing to experience the bug for themselves, it is very easily reproduced using the following method:

Ensure both GMCP and MCCP is enabled.
    Type QL
    Keep your finger on enter for 10/15 seconds.

Notice how you no longer receive any output into the main window? There's your bug.

The log above demonstrates absolutely nothing given that many factors can mitigate the issue, most notably, the recommendation I suggested.
    Yeah use QL, do it for 10-15 seconds,

How many of you does that lag out or have a 'denial of service' attack? I'm guessing no one, because it's a seperate issue than what he's claiming with 'denial of service' attacks.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I do find it funny that Sid would come on here to 'defend' himself despite the fact that his name was never mentioned even once.

Interesting.

Regardless, facts are in. This thread is done.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Talk of bugs aside, it is not uncommon to be lagged out due to attack spam after raising a prismatic barrier, especially in group fights. Xena made a suggestion with which I agree, in that hitting prismatic should have a similar effect as to hitting a shield: knock the attacker off equilibrium. Alternatively, remove the 'X hits your prismatic barrier' message, as I would prefer to not have the spam than to see who is trying to hit me.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Caerlyr said:
    I do find it funny that Sid would come on here to 'defend' himself despite the fact that his name was never mentioned even once.

Interesting.

Regardless, facts are in. This thread is done.
    People have been trying your QL thing and are reporting no issues.

Is there more to it?
  • Standing in a room with 39 objects and 4 people, holding down QL for 35 seconds couldn't replicate this mudlet bug for me.

I've locked the thread since I can already see where this is heading.

This discussion has been closed.