Anyone got any experience dealing with injured birds?

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
I found this poor guy at the bus station on my way home last night in a pretty poor state, one of its legs is broken and it looks like its feathers have been pulled clean from the top of its head, if not outright scalped.  It may have been a cat, but it is unlikely since there is no sign of claw or tooth marks elsewhere on the body.

I'm planning to take it to the vet in the morning, but I need to make sure I deal with it properly overnight so that it survives the night, thankfully it is fully awake and aware, though it is rather quiet, which may be signs of shock.

Any hints/tips?

Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• Keep it warm, keep it in a quiet place, and don't be terribly surprised if it's an asshole. 
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • Aww, poor bird. Yeah, warm and quiet is a good idea, maybe see if it wants a bit of water so it doesn't get dehydrated. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Tridemon said:
    Keep it warm, keep it in a quiet place, and don't be terribly surprised if it's an asshole. 
    It's definitely a noisy bugger, the couple of times it somehow got out of its makeshift bed it started making one heck of a racket when I put it back x_x

• Why not drop it off at a vet? They'll normally fix it up and release it... won't they? WON'T THEY?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    There should be a vet/rescue shelter/sanctuary within a few miles of you that will come and collect it at odd hours, check your directory/google it and give them a call.

Till then, as the above, keep it warm and watered.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    MY BRETHREN.

I'm hoping you still don't have the poor little sucker, his booboos need fixin' :(
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Did you get to take him to the vet then? Will he be ok?
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    edited December 2013
    Ardmore said:
    Why not drop it off at a vet? They'll normally fix it up and release it... won't they? WON'T THEY?
    I wasn't able to drop it at a vet at midnight anywhere near where I live, I have no car and the nearest 24 hour vet was nearly 2 hours walk away from where I live.  I ended up taking it to the local vet down the road from where I live as soon as it opened this morning, they took it off my hands and said they will take care of it for me.

• Bet they're having bird stew for lunch. 
  • Ardmore said:
    Bet they're having bird stew for lunch. 
    You're terrible :(
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Rialorm said:
    Ardmore said:
    Bet they're having bird stew for lunch. 
    You're terrible :(
    Yes, he is.

I totally didn't laugh at it >.>

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Heard back from the vet - sadly the bird didn't make it - turns out its injuries were far worse than I thought and they ended up having to euthanise it :(

• hey.. least you found it and tried to care for it. Imagine had none done so, it would have suffered a lot longer.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Poor little bird... you did your best :(
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Called it.
  • Aww, that sucks. At least you gave it some final moments of comfort. RIP bird :(