Aetherspace mapping

edited December 2013 in Common Grounds
So I've recently started mapping aetherspace, and I'm planning on making the maps available to the general public. Granted, I'm nowhere near done with them, but this will at least give you a general idea of where I'm heading:

First of all, I'm not exactly a brilliant graphics person. What you see above is only the background colour of the tiles (so Nil and various walls have the same colour). Wouldn't mind suggestions on how to display everything!

Second, is there actually a way to get to Vortex and Continuum? FYI, those (according to the directions given in aetherspace) are in the black walls west of the green swirly thing up in the northeast (which, BTW, is the Eternal Ouroborous).

EDIT: Oh, and just so you know, this is just a dump of the raw maps I have on disc, which maps it as symbols with foreground and background colours.

Comments

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Honestly I have no idea where Vortex or Continuum should be located on the map. I've never seen an updated Cosmic image! If nothing else, maybe with some charm you could get access to a Gaudi/Halli ship to launch right from those docks.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Odds are I can get a whistle and just whistle my own to Vortex or something, but... considering the map tells me it should be in that wall, and there's no way inside of it... yeah, I'm starting to wonder if there's something fishy going on. I mean, I can get that it was hidden/blocked when Halli and Gaudi came out, but we're way past that stage by now.
  • There's some maps already available at http://wiki.lusternia.com/Aetherspace. Though I think some of them are still incomplete. I remember updating Prime when Gaudi/Halli arrived, but I never touched the others.
  • Yeah, I know. They're somewhat lacking though; Prime, Ethereal, Elemental and Cosmic all lack labels, so unless you already know where you're going, they're not that useful. Cosmic also hasn't been updated since the release of Hallifax/Gaudiguch. Not sure if Elemental has, but at the very least, it's incomplete. I like the look of Astral, but if I'm doing them all from scratch, might as well do Astral as well to make them uniform.
  • Oh, and I also found an unmarked aetherbubble on Astral... just saying :P
  • The 1 room tendril glob bubble? That's legacy from a scavenger hunt several years ago. I recall Forren and his laptop chilling at my old apt during that event lol.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Was it a tendril glob? I thought it was a barren rock thing. Hmm.
  • edited December 2013
    I recall having to bring back a tendril from there to plex. I doubt it, but it might still be in the room hidden somewhere.
  • edited December 2013
    It's definitely a barren rock thing, yeah. A withering barren rock, even. With a view of 13 spheres, nonetheless. Quite curious... Anyway, I think I'm actually done with Astral for now. I know there's one translucent pixel in there that hasn't been mapped, but that's because there's a vortex there and my mapper is set to ignore those (since they're non-permanent and all).

Big thanks for helping me with the project goes out to:

• My shield. Saved my hide several times over.
    • The dragons on Cosmic. If it weren't for you, I'd have completed Cosmic first.
    • The various aetherbeasts out there, still roaming the Astral aetherspace, for making sure it was never dull (Oh, look, there are 7 hydras in one room).
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    My whistle feels neglected :(

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• It's because I didn't need your whistle for Astral :D I think I completed all of it without dying once...
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I love you.

Get to labeling, but for now I love you enough.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Thing is, I have the labels in all the right places already. My problem is how to display it in a legible manner.
    I assume there's a larger version of these images available?

*would love a fullsized map*

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• That one's mapped 1:1. One room in aetherspace is one pixel. I guess I could make a full-sized one though, with all the correct symbols and colours...
  • Okay, so the humongous aethermap (the one Mork wants) is on hold for a while, until I figure out a good way to make it. Turns out the code doesn't like me creating an image worth ~2.7GB of ram, heh. I've got a couple of ideas on how to solve it, but for now, it won't happen.
    No rush, I'd just love to see a detailed update to the wiki maps so that people can comfortably navigate aetherspace without getting hopelessly lost.

• Also, if anyone else wants to take a stab at making legible labels on the Astral map, here's one with labels on it:

The two clumped up labels in the bottom four are "aetherbubble" and "sagittarius". The one in the top right should say "aetherprimefissure", but it got kinda cut off.
  • You make the godrealms look so pretty. I don't think I've ever been able to properly visualize them. Great work!

The last I heard about continuum/vortex was that they'll remain isolated. I gather that the fix is pretty finnicky/complicated (that area has been broken in many and various ways since its release), and the space so little used, that it's not worth the time to address it with so many other major projects going on. That's not a direct quote or anything.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • And cosmic is finally done!

No thanks go out to the dragons this time :( Those silly things should be thrown in a dark pit somewhere and recombine into half of Dracnoris. I bet He'd still kick ass... and if He doesn't, well, we can do the same with the dracnari.

Thanks this time go out to:
    • Morkarion's aetherwhistle. I suppose I'd better put that whiny thing first in the list this time.
    • Llandros' aetherwhistle.
    • Skye's aetherwhistle.
    • Nil, for being the only sane place for me to whistle my ship to. No, godrealms don't count; they're hell to pilot through.
  • Great maps, thank you.

I thought the aetherspace dragons were Soulless shards of Draxbaylock.
  • I dunno... might be. I always assumed they were the first shards of Dracnoris.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    No offense, but is it possible to eventually clean up the words?
  • I sure hope so; they're mostly there because people asked for labels, and I figured they're better than nothing... Right now though, I'm focusing on mapping it, heh. But yeah, as soon as I think of a nice way to make the labels, I can update them all in one fell swoop.
    It's certainly hard to read the black text on a black background, but I'll wait for the finished article, this is amazing work. Well done!

• Try white text with a black border, that should make it legible enough. Also, damn impressive work!
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Could you pull the labels into the margins and just attach them with lines?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Rialorm said:
    Try white text with a black border, that should make it legible enough. Also, damn impressive work!
    That's one thought I've had, but I'm not sure if Java has that built-in or not. If not, I'm thinking a semi-transparent white square around the text.

Daraius said:
    Could you pull the labels into the margins and just attach them with lines?
    Hmm. I'd have to modify stuff a bit code-wise, and I'm not sure how well the lines would turn out, but I'll definitely look into it if my other ideas don't work.
  • edited December 2013
    Put a translucent white square behind the labels, and I'm... well, not entirely pleased, but it'll do for now. There's more work to do with them later on as well (like changing all their names), but for now, it'll do. It's at least legible.

I also uploaded a not-entirely-or-even-nearly-done version of Elemental, in case anyone's desperate enough to look at it to go looking for it. Just thought I'd let you know :D