AFK Aetherhunting

Quick question: How are people dealing with this? My hands are tied as where I would normally just kill the culprits, city laws prevented me in this instance. I ended up just calling the hunt off.

When there is a situation like this, what's the best way in dealing with it?

Comments

• those who step foot on the aethership waves their city rights to life. if they are caught afk you kill them, it is a mercy better than a shrubbing.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Yeah, while I -completely- agree with you here, stepping foot on a ship will not fly so far as Celest laws go. :(
  • Without knowing Celest's law, couldn't you say "These are the rules, go against them and it's seen as mutiny" and kill them for disloyalty or something?
  • Celest needs some better rules then :P Can you force someone out of a module with skills that move people? Or gust them off? Alternatively, you could start a blacklist and not take people anymore that afk. Do agree that killing is the best option.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Celest laws pretty much say, "No killing a citizen anytime... Ever."

:(
  • Personally, I am currently just marking down those I know do it and refusing to take them in future.
  • Well that's a silly law.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ssaliss said:
    Well that's a silly law.
    Welcome to New Celest.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • You should adopt a stance closer to Glom. If someone is killed, the first thought is generally "Well, they probably had it coming". Of course, there are questions afterwards, but it's generally just to make sure everyone's on the same page.
    I say, kill em all and let the Fates sort them out. There's not a single person in Lusternia with common sense that will tell you it's acceptable to AFK during an aetherhunt. In fact, it's dangerous to everyone on the ship if the Admin find AFKers.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Gust them off the module and just don't let them join next time.
  • When we run Gaudi hunts, we generally kill afkers. I've done the deed once, I usually have someone else do it because I do feel kind of bad :/ But that's our general rule, I also pause the hunt and give them /plenty/ of warning before I rip their face off. :< Like, several minutes of trying to get their attention. And then I staff them to death. I dunno how else to handle it, Ixchilgal taught me this way, I've always used it.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Yeah. Seems like I will just keep a list of known offenders.

Thanks, guys <3
    Alary said:
     I also pause the hunt and give them /plenty/ of warning before I rip their face off.

I think this is the important part.
  • Just to note, though... A few people (rightfully) suggested just filing an issue against them. Problem with this, however... Issues take -weeks- to get looked at, at which time, it's impossible to prove.
  • Shaddus said:

I think this is the important part.
    Still not enough to get around those silly Celest laws :(
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    If you can't kill them, issue them and proceed as normal explaining to the admin that you are using their afk status to demonstrate that fact.

Though tbh, your laws suck and you should just kill them.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Good luck defining "AFK" in a just manner. Someone could look away for 30s and a spiteful person would easily claim that AFK and incite a row. I don't think it is a silly law. It is however silly to AFK for an extended period on an aetherhunt.
  • I think Ardmore just won this thread with his suggestion.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Rialorm said:
    Celest needs some better rules then
    This. So much.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • You're really crossing a line when you take IC actions for ooc. You probably could come up with some justification that works within the rules, but why not just summon them out of their module? Or require everyone to have a reflex to unlock if the captain orders it. Do you really want to be the douche that killed someone because their ISP dropped, their tea kettle boiled over, the phone rang, someone knocked on the door etc?
  • ISP drop will disconnect you, small breaks you should really tell the captain about and then unlock yourself, even if you just go to the toilet or grab a drink. At the very worst, qq on the spot if you must go away right now because of a real emergency. Also, being AFK isn't purely OOC, it reflects IC too.

And to be frankly honest, if there are no harsh penalties on this, it is my experience that people will try and get away with it. First to just read Facebook or something, then they'll sit there doing something else, and before you know it people lock in and vanish to go shopping or something.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • alternate, if you cannot kill them, you should have a handy mag/gaudi/glom standing nearby that does not mind killing for you :p
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• City rules can be easily RP'd away. Use your imagination.

On the OOC front, make it standard procedure to state clearly that you will not tolerate afk, and extract a personal agreement that to do so will be equal to death. If anyone goes to take care of a boiling kettle, at least they'll go with the mental preparation that it may mean their character's death - their priority is on real life, obviously, as it should be.

If you really want to follow the City's rules (or it goes against your character RP or whatever) then just gust them off and let someone else sitting on a siphon get the extra exp.

• Caerlyr said:
    Just to note, though... A few people (rightfully) suggested just filing an issue against them. Problem with this, however... Issues take -weeks- to get looked at, at which time, it's impossible to prove.
    We look at issues as they come in, usually exactly at the time they are filed if there is a trained admin online. Just because we don't always resolve them right away doesn't mean that we are ignoring them or aren't looking at them. We are happy to look into any issues regarding AFK aetherhunting if they are filed in a timely manner.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I solved it by pausing the hunt, calling everyone to the perpetrator's room and explained to them why its important to not mindlessly abandon your post when you are being relied upon.

Then I sacrificed him to Nil.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • edited December 2013
    Celest has the best RP justification for everything though. "FOR THE LIGHT OF CELESTIA!"

In all seriousness though, stuff them into a glamours maze. I'm pretty sure it's a forced movement that unlocks them. The plus side is that if they don't shield, it'll end up squishing them in a fun way. Then they'll literally be blinded by the light.