Nexus Client

Is this being messed about with server-side? Because it cut out on me and I can't get it back up no matter how many times I refresh the bloody thing... it's the same error every time.

--[ Task ]--
Client initialization
--[ Environment ]--
Build=Nexus-3.3.1-1418
Thread=Init
os.arch=x86
java.version=1.7.0_45
java.class.version=51.0
browser=sun.plugin
os.name=Windows 7
os.version=6.1
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
browser.vendor=Oracle
browser.version=1.1
java.vendor.url=http://java.oracle.com/
--[ Exception ]--
java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid skin file: media/skin.jar
at nexus.Main.run(Main.java:230)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    This has happened to me from time to time, almost exclusively when my connection is a little slow, or I have something else loading while Nexus tries to boot up. It's like it hits a little snag loading media files, panics, and crashes.

I get the impression that Nexus is no longer really endorsed by IRE, so I doubt its something on their end.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Yeah, but usually, it doesn't happen quite so immediately. And normally it'll sort itself out after one or two refreshes... It's been over an hour and a half so far. I think I'll take a nap and see if things are sorted out when I wake up.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited December 2013
    AFAIK Nexus is no longer supported by IRE now that the HTML5 version is available and is the default client that links in the website point to.  Also don't forget that with the way the Nexus client is set up, it technically should no longer be able to create characters since it asks you for a guild/race during the creation process, while this is now not determined until later in the tutorial.

Regardless of this fact, Nexus will ultimately stop working altogether eventually, because in a future update, any JAR file manifests that don't contain the Permissions attribute will be blocked completely by Java (which Nexus does not have.)

Note to the Publisher: Security features to prevent unauthorized redistribution of your Java application will cause this application to be blocked in the future. See current Java documentation about JAR Manifest entries for the changes that need to be made.

Note to users: For any questions, please contact the Publisher who provided you with this application.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    edited December 2013
    And Daraius, soon to be cast adrift in a sea of clients, shed a single tear.

I can confirm that Nexus can't handle character creation anymore. I wonder if this is actually an option:

Note to users: For any questions, please contact the Publisher who provided you with this application.
    I used to make cakes.

• Sure it is. IRE is the publisher, or at least the people you should speak to. Granted, it's very possible they can't (or rather, won't) do much about it anymore since the HTML5 client is basically an upgrade in every way to Nexus.
  • There are a couple of reasons that I like the Nexus client... first and foremost being the #wait <milliseconds> scripting for reflexes. It's a nice, simple way to delay the implementation of the next command or set of commands by a set amount of time and I have been utterly unable to figure out how to replicate that functionality with any other client, mostly because I'm script-illiterate, by and large...
  • Hmm. What do you use #wait for? If it's for deffing up or similar, you could always use stratagems for that.
  • I use #wait for a goodly number of things... a small delay for the #beep command so I immediately know what things the client is beeping at me for, syncing up my mists so that one of them is fired slightly before the others, as well as deffing up... I could use stratagems for deffing up, but I'm not sure which ones can be done at the same time...  And then there's my influencing reflexes. 18 different aliases that point at others in the same section with a #wait in between, all under the same reflex group so that they turn off after influencing a single entity, as well as notifying me with a #beep- or the trigger to turn the group off can be modified so that it doesn't turn off, but still #beeps at me when one in a stack has been influenced.
    My favorite feature is the all-seeing who lists. And the, like, twelve years of familiarity I've built with the interface.
    I used to make cakes.

• ... I'm looking at the HTML5 client, and it appears that I CAN'T build an alias that includes multiple stratagem inputs in the same line, since stratagems and the HTML5 client both use | to separate things... I LIKED being able to build aliases with multiple lines! It doesn't even have #beep available. I use that to notify me that someone's sent me a tell, or someone's attacking the Tide Lords, or someone's attacking ME. I -NEED- #beep... I'm completely and utterly lost. 
  • Most third-party clients will support the same functionality as #wait with one-off timers or even scripted functions. Going with a third-party client is probably your safest bet, since you're likely able to do anything Nexus and HTML5 can do, probably better and possibly more conveniently, with more functionality on top of that. That said, third-party clients lack profile-saving in the cloud, which means you need to carry around a thumbdrive with your profile and the client in it if you want to play while moving around... for those clients that do support that.

• You can use chime() to make a sound, at least. And I'm sure there's an escape character for |, but I haven't found it yet... Have you tried \|?
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    You can change the command separator in the html5 client in the settings.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Bah, **** this noise... I liked the nexus client... the HTML5 client just feels slow, and clunky. I don't need a client that serenades me. I need one that will make a sound when the conditions are met because I need a noise there. I don't need a client that looks pretty. I need a client that's very simple to write for, because I'm not good at scripting. At -all-. I want to be able to look at all the commands I'm trying to input for a single alias all at once, like in the composer for helpfiles and newsposts, instead of in an input box that's about 20 characters wide. The HTML5 client has -nothing- that I want that the Nexus client didn't have, and removes several features of usability that I needed.... and I have absolutely no idea how to enact those features on a third party client, because I don't code. It's just so goddamn depressing. Might as well take a look at Mudlet, I guess.
    edited December 2013
    I can't even express how much I empathize with every single point you're making man. I thought I was the last Nexus user.  :(

Are you still having this problem? I just pulled up Nexus with no problem on a comp here that's running Java 1.7.0_05. My first instinct in your situation would be to clear my cache and try to revert to an older version of Java. I know next time Chrome tells me to update Java at home, I'm not going to chance it, lest I lose Nexus.
    I used to make cakes.

• edited December 2013
    ... Apparently I have worse computer instincts than I thought, since I didn't even think of that... clearing the cache and reverting to an older version of Java worked like a charm. Which is odd, seeing as the last time I updated Java was in June. Now to never, ever update to a newer version of Java ever again.
    edited December 2013
    Sorry to keep you waiting 6 hours for that suggestion.  :\">
    I used to make cakes.

• I was asleep for most of it anyway. One of the things I've noticed about the internet is that sometimes if you wait a couple of hours, the issue will be resolved by someone else whose job it is to fix things like that.
  • Similar to other technology, everyone has to move on after awhile (unless you are one of my coworkers and are disgruntled because your work phone is a smart phone)! If there are things you need for scripting in the HTML5 client that aren't there, I would suggest sending your feedback through the Feedback tab on the settings page of the client. I know IRE looks at stuff submitted through there, so there's a chance they could help you out.

• Well, I managed to figure out how to make keybindings work in mudlet, so that's a plus. Maybe by 2016 I'll have prodded it randomly in enough places to make it do my bidding.
    Zvoltz said:

Similar to other technology, everyone has to move on after awhile!

I'd happily accept this argument if HTML5 were actually an improvement on Nexus. Like T-bone said, it doesn't offer anything useful that Nexus doesn't, and still isn't powerful enough to create the kinds of trigger systems you can with something like Mudlet. It's a lateral move at best. :P

But I best stop harping on this topic before I give myself a headache. It's just a game after all.
    I used to make cakes.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Daraius said:
    Like T-bone said
    Now gonna call Tridemon T-Bone forever.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Neos said:
    Daraius said:
    Like T-bone said
    Now gonna call Tridemon T-Bone forever.
    You know, I'm fairly sure that one of the guild privs of the archmage is the ability to bitchslap the Champion...