AFK Aetherhunting

2»

Comments

• They get once chance/warning then I kill them and issue them. Kill them for not doing there task IC and issue them for being AFK.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Raeri said:
    Celest has the best RP justification for everything though. "FOR THE LIGHT OF CELESTIA!"

In all seriousness though, stuff them into a glamours maze. I'm pretty sure it's a forced movement that unlocks them. The plus side is that if they don't shield, it'll end up squishing them in a fun way. Then they'll literally be blinded by the light.

• Arimisia said:
    alternate, if you cannot kill them, you should have a handy mag/gaudi/glom standing nearby that does not mind killing for you :p
    Reaper Services, they AFK, we force pray
  • Rialorm said:
    ISP drop will disconnect you, small breaks you should really tell the captain about and then unlock yourself, even if you just go to the toilet or grab a drink. At the very worst, qq on the spot if you must go away right now because of a real emergency. Also, being AFK isn't purely OOC, it reflects IC too.

And to be frankly honest, if there are no harsh penalties on this, it is my experience that people will try and get away with it. First to just read Facebook or something, then they'll sit there doing something else, and before you know it people lock in and vanish to go shopping or something.
    Unless there's two kinds of drops that doesn't always seem to be the case. However, unless you can no longer summon people out of modules I think people are making too much of a big deal about 'needing to kill players for perceived ooc actions'.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    What if I just want to play a game of League while I'm empathing?

Geeze.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Then we'll LoL at you when you get shrubbed.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shocks last an hour, a pair of ARAMs will take about an hour. Just saying.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I typically kill, then permanent-ban from the ship (including each individual module). I really should issue, too, but I find that it doesn't come up for me anymore.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Steingrim said:
    Unless there's two kinds of drops that doesn't always seem to be the case. However, unless you can no longer summon people out of modules I think people are making too much of a big deal about 'needing to kill players for perceived ooc actions'.
    If a gunner is still shooting yet failing to respond to tells, ship tells, etc, etc... then their ISP didn't drop them, they just went AFK. There are ways to tell this that don't involve assumptions. Let's say it's someone I know has basic reflexes, throw a sleep enchant at them, watch them re-raise insomnia? Well, they're not disconnected. Need I go on? Your assumption that their ISP dropped them is optimistic at best. Plenty of people go to aetherhunts for the sole purpose of farming xp while doing something else entirely. I usually warn anyone I take out that afk = you die... and if I catch someone afk, I usually give them a couple of minutes to respond before killing them... in case they just alt+tabbed for something like checking forums/facebook/whatever. I don't ban them, but I keep track of them... and the second time I catch them, I let them know that they'll be issued. They either don't come or they don't afk at that point.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I did forget to mention that. I only ever use my personal ship. It's my ship, my rules. You agree to all conditions unquestionably by being there. If you don't agree to die for breaking the rules, you leave. I've stopped hunts before when arguments started, banned the people involved. I've even whistled my ship back to dock when I've been absent from a hunt that someone else is running, and messages me asking for advice about what to do about someone AFK. And I've had people row tantrums about me doing it, calling all sorts of stuff behind my back on OOC clans, when they should've just been grateful I didn't issue.
  • DysDys
    edited December 2013
    Oops. Clumsy fingers. Nothing to see.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Ixchilgal said:
    I did forget to mention that. I only ever use my personal ship. It's my ship, my rules. You agree to all conditions unquestionably by being there. If you don't agree to die for breaking the rules, you leave. I've stopped hunts before when arguments started, banned the people involved. I've even whistled my ship back to dock when I've been absent from a hunt that someone else is running, and messages me asking for advice about what to do about someone AFK. And I've had people row tantrums about me doing it, calling all sorts of stuff behind my back on OOC clans, when they should've just been grateful I didn't issue.
    If they don't like it, they can miss out on participating.  As you said, your ship - your rules.  No reason the other people on the ship should be penalised because one person can't be buggered to pay attention to what they are doing and an admin notices, summarily imploding the ship as a consequence.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Kagato said:
    If they don't like it, they can miss out on participating.  As you said, your ship - your rules.  No reason the other people on the ship should be penalised because one person can't be buggered to pay attention to what they are doing and an admin notices, summarily imploding the ship as a consequence.
    Be lucky if they just implode the ship, really. I've known them to maggot/tdf the whole crew for a decent amount of time. Maybe that doesn't happen anymore, but eh... to me, imploding the ship wouldn't be that big deal... so I lose 100k of the x million essence I've gathered so far? Big deal. That's why you need punishments big enough to deter people from afk-ing.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited December 2013
    That kind of repercussion is an EXTREMELY slippery slope though, especially if someone ends up getting maggotted when they were paying full attention to their tasks and doing their job (as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, killing another Celest citizen for going mindless at a module has repercussions within the city, so it is a lose/lose situation), you either get punished by the city on a murder charge - potentially getting you kicked out of Celest, or you get hit by the Divine.)  If anything IMO the person responsible for botting should get their character rolled back to prior to the start of the hunt as well as whatever other punishment is dished out for them.  The other people in the ship should not be punished if they are actively trying to deal with the matter.

I know I would be extraordinarily peeved if Kagato was to get maggoted/shrubbed/whatever as a result of someone else idling on the job, when I take roles like that seriously - I have the mindset that if you are going to resort to botting, why even play in the first place?
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • A better idea than rolling back to before the hunt - just reset their XP back to 0.  Make them start in Newton all over again.  Especially if they've been caught more than once.  That, or just perma-shrub.  Stop letting people who constantly break the rules get away with it.