Aetherspace mapping

Comments

You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Unfortunately, that's the wrong kind of border...and the wrong kind of component, heh. I've semi-solved it though (see the images earlier), and right now I'm playing with it a bit. Getting happier and happier with it as well, so yay!
  • Okay, managed to make three different styles. Would love preferences/feedback on them!

Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3:

Which do you prefer? Why? Any specific one you dislike? If so, why?
  • I like the first one - the halo style. I'm biased because I use that at work for all my maps, but it looks best imo.
  • I like 2 best but 1 is good too.
  • edited December 2013
    First, or the third with a little less opacity, but the downside there is the backdrops cover a lot. First is the least aesthetically pleasing though.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Version 2, because it covers the least. I'll upload these to the wiki when there's a little consensus. I really should work more on the wiki...
  • I like two and three, feel the pure white outline on one is a bit strong.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I think Eventru tossed me onto that single room bubble once.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Enyalida said:
    Version 2, because it covers the least. I'll upload these to the wiki when there's a little consensus. I really should work more on the wiki...
    Odds are I'll reposition the labels over time to make them look better though, so you might want to hold off on it for a little while. I figured I'd post all the maps when I'm done with them and feel satisfied with how they look.
  • All done with Ethereal as well, and I must say... Elemental is a bit wonky. First of all, at the moment it has no walls whatsoever, which made it the most mind-numbingly boring place to map. Sure, gliding is fun, but sitting and watching gliding happen for a whole day? Yeah, could be more fun.

Anyway, due to its unique wall-less-ness, I've made two different versions of the map: One which is how it looks today (no walls and a lot of green), and one with what I think it's supposed to look like if it had walls (except for Hoaracle's realm, which had the same colour patterns as the "walls")..

The thanks this time go to:
    • No one. This was boring as heck, and it was more or less pure torture all the way through. There wasn't even any fun to be had with the beasts, since I just glided past them all without them even getting close to hitting me.
  • Oh, and another thing about Ethereal that I forgot about while writing the post: Charune's realm is a bit weird. It has a marker for travelling so you can see in which direction it is, and it has a realm, but it has no dock. Makes me really curious about what'd happen if I tried to launch a ship from there, but it's not like I can test it, unfortunately.
  • edited December 2013
    Charune's realm launch... yes there is a dock. I think your map is off too in that Charune realm space is bright green, not white.

Swimming through halcyon clouds.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ----------@----------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Gentle currents cause a pageant of clouds to drift lazily through aetherspace; these whorling brumes coil and link together, creating a grand knotted nebula. Winking lights and opalescent flashes flicker through the pillowy formations; meanwhile vivid images, both startling and lulling, emerge and dissipate as the clouds contract and part. Quiet and stillness dominates, leaving only the soft and curious susurration of breath to whisper from somewhere amongst the dreamy haze. . There is an aetherways dock here connected to beneath a canopy of tall trees.
    You are floating in aether.
  • Hmm. That one is very interesting... Was it bright green on dark green background, or was it bright green on white background? Because the one thing I'm noticing a lack of in your copy-paste is directions to other docks... which there should be if it's where the other godrealms are.

Also, looking at the fake-walled map very close, I noticed a solitary green pixel about 500 pixels below Charune's supposed realm, so I'm guessing that's where the dock is nowadays. Yep, Ethereal is funky.
  • Bright green background. My ship doesn't see far and maybe that part is funky, but I don't recall having issues flying to any godrealm.
  • Then it's definitely not where it's supposed to be, that's for sure. Unless it's supposed to be anywhere else but the bright white circle where the Hunter's Woods are...
  • Figured I'd toss in an update. This is far from forgotten, but it's gotten far more delayed than I had hoped, heh. RL stuff happened, and it seems it'll keep happening this weekend, which kinda messes with my plans to have it out by then, so... yeah.

A rough estimate is that I'm about 80% done with it, but that last 20% includes dragons, which means there's a pretty big speedbump there.
  • Except for label adjustments and whatnot, Prime is now mapped as well! Have at it, everyone.

Not entirely pleased with the labels in the center... darn cluttered. But it should at least tell you where everything is. I also hope I haven't missed anything, and I can't find anything glaringly obvious on a quick lookover, at least.

This rounds thanks go to:
    • Frankly, I only have one note this time. I just want to give a huge thankyou to whoever it was that created these maps in-game. They're absolutely awesome, and the general layouts of all planes are different, which is a really nice touch. While dragons were a constant pain in the backside, without them... well, frankly, things would get really boring in the end.
  • Oh, and the raw map will be up in a couple of days, for anyone who's interested in it. Need to do some documentation and whatnot so you'll know how to use it, as well as doublecheck various things in it (nothing that should affect the maps posted here).
  • I suggest only labelling each pair "Serenwilde" or "Celest" or whatever. The nexus world is always the second/inner one.
  • edited May 2014
    For people interested in playing with the raw map I have (hello @Vadi!):

Aethermap (a little over 19MB in size)

Instructions:
    [spoiler]
    The map essentially consists of two parts: First is a chunk of key mappings, and second comes the actual map.

The first byte of the file indicates how many keys there are. After that follows 2x(numkeys) bytes of data. The first byte for each key is the colour code, and the second byte is the symbol.

The colour code is stored in bits according to the following key:

X1222333

X is currently unused.
    1 indicates if it's using the bright colour for the symbol.
    2 is the background colour.
    3 is the foreground colour.

In code:

int bg=(cc&0x38)/8;
    int fg=(cc&0x07);
    int bright=(cc&0x40)/64;

The second byte, the symbol, is just the ASCII code for the map symbol. So a wall ("X") would have symbol 88, etc.

After the keys comes the map itself. This is stored in a 5x2000x2000 array of bytes, each byte corresponding to a key with -127 being the first key, and -128 being unmapped. Of note is that while the array is 2000x2000, the map in Lusternia is only 1000x1000, so only a quarter of the actual map is used (that being 501-1500). This is a leftover from when I wrote the map way way back, and I haven't bothered fixing it.

The first dimension of the array indicates the plane, with 0 being Prime, 1 being Ethereal, 2 being Elemental, 3 being Cosmic and 4 being Astral (assuming a zero-based array). The second dimension is x, and the third is y. x=0;y=0 is mapped to the lower left corner of the map (much like a standard cartesian coordinate system), and going north and east will increase x and y, respectively.

The code I use for writing the map is as follows:

private void saveMap()
      {
        try
        {
          BufferedOutputStream out=new BufferedOutputStream(new FileOutputStream("aethermap.map"));
          byte nummappings=(byte)(maxkey+128);
          {
            byte[] buf=new byte[nummappings*2+1];
            buf[0]=nummappings;
            for (int i=0;i<nummappings;i++)
            {
              byte temp1=(byte)(keys[i]/256);
              byte temp2=(byte)(keys[i]%256);
              buf[1+i*2]=temp1;
              buf[2+i*2]=temp2;
            }
            out.write(buf);
          }
          for (int i=0;i<5;i++)
            for (int u=0;u<2000;u++)
              out.write(bigmap[i][u]);
          out.flush();
          out.close();
        }
        catch (IOException ie)
        {
          head.outputToBuffer("Error while saving map: "+ie+"");
        }
      }

[/spoiler]
  • edited December 2013
    Since someone (looking at you, @Morkarion!) requested a big version of the aethermap... well, I've made one. It's far too large to embed in an image here though (the biggest one measures about 11k by 20k pixels), so I'll just link to them.

Prime
    Ethereal
    Elemental
    Cosmic
    Astral

EDIT: Seems the files are still uploading... Give it a couple of minutes, and they should be there.
  • Excellent. Now can you make a comedic miniature version?
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    spoilers are [ spoiler ] stuff [ /spoiler ] without the spaces.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Man, you're awesome.

Now I can make a poster out of these for my wall (no, seriously.)

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Mudlet renders of this map. These are 10x smaller they really are - see links below for the big versions.

Prime

Ether

Ethereal

Cosmic

Astral

Link to 9620x9620 renders. Hit 'Download all' to get the pictures, I imagine.
  • They don't have labels yet as labels aren't in the map Ssaliss gave me. Mudlet can do them though, and they'll come shortly after they've available in his map export.
  • Oooh. Would it be possible to integrate these into the mudlet mapper, and be tracked as we fly around in aetherspace?

• As a note, I won't be able to add the locations until after all the Christmas holidays, since I'm at my parents at the moment. So some time after newyears, probably.

And if anyone wants to use the json-based mao (which is far smaller than the other one), it can be found here.